Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Deferring

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Deferring [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 22:52
How does deferral process work? If I have been admitted to a school, can I request a 1 year deferral and will my seat still be saved for the following year? Do I need to call the admissions office? Anyone with expertise?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Deferring [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 14:12
I'm not entirely sure, but I do know that b-schools rarely grant deferrals. You would have to have some kind of medical excuse or something equally legitimate to be considered for it from everything I hear.
Manager
Manager
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: Deferring [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 05:18
There was one HBS admit on this forum( with an ice skating Display pic, dont remember his Handle), who defered. BUT I think his excuse was major. Like to take his founded company public or something. :O
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 475 [0], given: 70

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deferring [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 05:51
I know a person who got a deferral from Wharton like 10 years ago without a major excuse (it was work-related). But I believe that it largely depends from school to school (and the schools' flexibility may also change over time).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Deferring [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 07:56
There was a business week article from about 6 months ago the talked about how schools have really cut back on there deferrals, but alas, I can't post links.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
Schools: Insead '14 (A)
WE: Project Management (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: Deferring [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 05:00
Hi,

I applied to INSEAD for the August 2014 intake but got this response:

The Admissions Committee has decided that you need to gain at least one more year of professional experience before attending the INSEAD MBA programme. This additional experience would better prepare you for the course.
Consequently, on behalf of the Admissions Committee, it is my great pleasure to offer you a place in the INSEAD MBA Class of July 2016, starting in Singapore on 24 August 2015.
Congratulations and welcome to the worldwide INSEAD community!
Admissions Requirements
As your admission to the programme is conditional on you gaining additional work experience, please provide an update on any new aspects of your professional, international, academic or personal profile. This information will need to be sent to your Admissions Officer by 1 June, 2015

Has anyone received a deferred admit before? What does this mean? Is this an almost-admit? What are my chances of getting an admit/reject next year?

What should I do? I am confused and re-evaluating my plan considering the position I am in. If you have or if you know someone who has been admitted conditionally please let me know how it works out.
Thanks!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 499 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deferring [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 18:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Shevs wrote:
Hi,

I applied to INSEAD for the August 2014 intake but got this response:

The Admissions Committee has decided that you need to gain at least one more year of professional experience before attending the INSEAD MBA programme. This additional experience would better prepare you for the course.
Consequently, on behalf of the Admissions Committee, it is my great pleasure to offer you a place in the INSEAD MBA Class of July 2016, starting in Singapore on 24 August 2015.
Congratulations and welcome to the worldwide INSEAD community!
Admissions Requirements
As your admission to the programme is conditional on you gaining additional work experience, please provide an update on any new aspects of your professional, international, academic or personal profile. This information will need to be sent to your Admissions Officer by 1 June, 2015

Has anyone received a deferred admit before? What does this mean? Is this an almost-admit? What are my chances of getting an admit/reject next year?

What should I do? I am confused and re-evaluating my plan considering the position I am in. If you have or if you know someone who has been admitted conditionally please let me know how it works out.
Thanks!

Well it doesn't seem to be a "conditional admit", which I have seen before (like, "improve your GMAT score, and you're in") but that they like you but really want you to have that one year more of experience (how old are you BTW? How much experience do you have?). And from what they wrote here, it seems to be a straight up admit, but for in one year. If you are in no rush, and like INSEAD (it's a fantastic program), I'd say, just enjoy your next year at work! And then enjoy your year at INSEAD! You're already in, so you can live preeeeetyy carefree.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
Schools: Insead '14 (A)
WE: Project Management (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: Deferring [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 22:08
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Well it doesn't seem to be a "conditional admit", which I have seen before (like, "improve your GMAT score, and you're in") but that they like you but really want you to have that one year more of experience (how old are you BTW? How much experience do you have?). And from what they wrote here, it seems to be a straight up admit, but for in one year. If you are in no rush, and like INSEAD (it's a fantastic program), I'd say, just enjoy your next year at work! And then enjoy your year at INSEAD! You're already in, so you can live preeeeetyy carefree.

Dear Jon,
Appreciate the response, thank you! I will turn 26 next month and have two and a half years of full-time work ex. However, I started a non-profit organization - Swasyah - for community-based rehabilitation when I was in college and have been working on it since over four years now. I am in no rush and I am keen on the INSEAD programme but I am on a contract with my employer till July 2014 (am setting up an ambulatory surgical hospital which is due to be operational in August) so was apprehensive about the "additional year of work ex". Have initiated conversation and hope it works out. If not, I will have to start a job-search (which is difficult for just one-year). Lets see how it pans out; fingers crossed :)
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 499 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deferring [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 11:13
Expert's post
Shevs wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Dear Jon,
Appreciate the response, thank you! I will turn 26 next month and have two and a half years of full-time work ex. However, I started a non-profit organization - Swasyah - for community-based rehabilitation when I was in college and have been working on it since over four years now. I am in no rush and I am keen on the INSEAD programme but I am on a contract with my employer till July 2014 (am setting up an ambulatory surgical hospital which is due to be operational in August) so was apprehensive about the "additional year of work ex". Have initiated conversation and hope it works out. If not, I will have to start a job-search (which is difficult for just one-year). Lets see how it pans out; fingers crossed :)

Dude,
Get that job!!!
:)

Good luck to you, and let me know how things pan out...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Deferring   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2014, 11:13