Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 11:01

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Deferring admission

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Deferring admission [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 15:52
Hi all,

I just wanted to have your feedback on the possibility of deferring a potential admission but still applying this year. Basically, I already have got so much done GMAT, essay and recommendation wise and feel warmed up about the whole admission process. At the same time, I have personal circumstances that would make it more reasonable to start an MBA in 2009.

So my question is : is it possible / how common is it to get an admit and defer ?

I really would like to avoid putting on hold the application process for a year. I already spend too much time on this website :-D and on application material to drop it now...

Any opinions ?

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1528 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 15:55
Generally speaking, barring exceptional circumstances, schools do not allow you to defer.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 16:01
rhyme wrote:
Generally speaking, barring exceptional circumstances, schools do not allow you to defer.

My circumstances, while reasonable, are nothing exceptional. And none of the alternatives is perfect... Well, let's give it some thought...

But at least, that's a clear and swift response ! Thanks a lot Rhyme, you are a rockstar...
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 16:05
Even if a school technically allows deferrals, you will show yourselves in poor light by asking for a deferrel unless you can clearly demonstrate that the circumstance forcing you to request the deferral occured after your application was submitted.

In most goals essays, you will need to answer the implict "Why MBA now" question. After convincing the ad-com on this subject, you cant just turn around and say "BTW, I am not enrolling this year...".

If you do this and then re-apply the next year, the school may even ding you for the heck of it.

edit:Note that some schools ask you to re-apply even if they grant you deferral.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 16:35
Schools frown upon it because they take it as you are going to try for tougher schools and if you get in then you wont show up. Unless its related to medical issues, family emergency, or something very serious then its tough. Some schools do give them to college students who they want to have more work experience. Getting a promotion or something like that isn't a good reasons.

I did talk to one person who deferred for a year because they found out his wife was having a baby and they owned their own business. She was going to run it by herself but with the baby due right around the start of school they pushed it back a year and they got the OK.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 16:47
riverripper wrote:
Schools frown upon it because they take it as you are going to try for tougher schools and if you get in then you wont show up. Unless its related to medical issues, family emergency, or something very serious then its tough. Some schools do give them to college students who they want to have more work experience. Getting a promotion or something like that isn't a good reasons.

I did talk to one person who deferred for a year because they found out his wife was having a baby and they owned their own business. She was going to run it by herself but with the baby due right around the start of school they pushed it back a year and they got the OK.

Unless it's a HSW I would agree with rive. I heard a case of a guy who got into HBS and asked to be deffered, they didn't accepted; however, told him that if he wanted to apply next year he just would need to make an essay. But, the guys is Stellar, Top 1 from a Top college, very high performing professional, and his reason was because he had with some colleagues opened their business...
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 01:49
I see.

Probably, as we say in French, I'm better off hammering the steel while it is still hot - litteral translation that may not make much sense to anyone -

Thanks to all of you anyway, this was extremely helpful
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
Schools: Insead '14 (A)
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: Deferring admission [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 05:13
Hi,

I had applied to INSEAD for the August 2014 intake but got this response:

The Admissions Committee has decided that you need to gain at least one more year of professional experience before attending the INSEAD MBA programme. This additional experience would better prepare you for the course.
Consequently, on behalf of the Admissions Committee, it is my great pleasure to offer you a place in the INSEAD MBA Class of July 2016, starting in Singapore on 24 August 2015.
Congratulations and welcome to the worldwide INSEAD community!
Admissions Requirements
As your admission to the programme is conditional on you gaining additional work experience, please provide an update on any new aspects of your professional, international, academic or personal profile. This information will need to be sent to your Admissions Officer by 1 June, 2015.

I have been trying to understand what exactly this means but have not been able to get through anyone in a similar situation. as anyone received a deferred admit before? What does this mean? Is this an almost-admit? I don't mind waiting another year (it in fact fits in better in the long run) but I want to know what my chances of getting reject next year are? What should I do? I am confused and re-evaluating my plan considering the position I am in. Please let me know if you have or if you know someone who has been admitted conditionally - would be really helpful.

Thanks!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 106 [1] , given: 0

Re: Deferring admission [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 13:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey there,

This probably would have gotten a little more attention on its own thread but we can definitely help you here. The short answer is you're fine. The ONLY reason you would get rejected next year is if you do not meet the conditions INSEAD has laid out. They want you to have another year of work experience. So effectively "you're in until you're out". If you get another year of experience and bolster that aspect of your profile, you'll be just fine.

Congrats on the acceptance to INSEAD!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
Schools: Insead '14 (A)
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: Deferring admission [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 21:46
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hey there,

This probably would have gotten a little more attention on its own thread but we can definitely help you here. The short answer is you're fine. The ONLY reason you would get rejected next year is if you do not meet the conditions INSEAD has laid out. They want you to have another year of work experience. So effectively "you're in until you're out". If you get another year of experience and bolster that aspect of your profile, you'll be just fine.

Congrats on the acceptance to INSEAD!

Bhavik

Phew, okay that's comforting. Posted it in a couple of places hoping there would be someone who has been through it on one of the threads.
Thanks Bhavik! :)
Re: Deferring admission   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2014, 21:46