Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

DeGroote (McMaster University): Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 48

Re: DeGroote Co-op Program [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 20:23
This post received
KUDOS
echelon99 wrote:
Nice debate you have going on there guys.

Just to point out though, McGill's avg gmat is 657, compared to 670 (Rotman,Schulich), 690 (Ivey), 665 (Sauder, McMaster).

That being said, it does have the highest placement rate in Canada.

However, the fact that its based in Que does hinder chances of settling down in Toronto. The students I talked to were having a hard time landing an internship in Toronto, going up against students from Rotman, Schulich, McMaster, and even Brock.

Where did you get those numbers?

http://www.economist.com/whichmba/mcgil ... ement/2012
http://www.economist.com/whichmba/york- ... iness/2012

Those links show a different story. I've read elsewhere that the avg gmat at McGill last year was in fact 670. I don't remember ever seeing a 690 avg in Canada (where did the ivey stat come from?).

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 8

Re: DeGroote Co-op Program [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
Your right, Ivey is also at 670.

I tend to go with BWeek rankings btw, I tend to trust their data collection methods a lot more. They contact candidates and alumni directly, rather than replying on the school's self-reported scores
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 48

Re: DeGroote Co-op Program [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 20:28
echelon99 wrote:
Your right, Ivey is also at 670.

I tend to go with BWeek rankings btw, I tend to trust their data collection methods a lot more. They contact candidates and alumni directly, rather than replying on the school's self-reported scores

Ya, that's probably a good source. My favourite rankings publications vary year to year, but overall I find that most publications don't give the international/Canadian MBAs a fair evaluation in comparison to the American ones.

See also: http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/09/16/canadas-m-b-a/
McGill 668, Ivey, 672, Sauder 650, Rotman 654, York 661

Or this more recent link: http://list.canadianbusiness.com/rankin ... d1=a&sc1=0
Ivey 669, McGill 663, Rotman 662, York 660, Sauder/Queen's 650

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: DeGroote Co-op Program [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 07:15
samramandy wrote:
Thanks a lot echelon99,

I have already taken GMAT thrice and my scores are 610, 610 and 620 and I don't want to take it one more time.
I fail to understand why I am not able to score more as I have always scored more than 700 in the GMATprep exams.

I would like to work on my application and make it look stronger.
I am very much interested in the co-op program of the DeGroote. I don't know how good would be the full-time program as compared to the co-op.

BR
Mandeep

Hi Mandeep - I work in admissions and recruiting at the DeGroote School of Business. From what I gather, you're an international applicant? I just wanted to put you at ease regarding your GMAT score. DeGroote's GMAT standard is as follows: recommended overall 600 with minimums of 28 in verbal and 37 in quant. If you meet these requirements and have an overall strong application (grades, work experience, references, etc) we will invite you for your first interview - the international student admissions interview. This means you have passed the first stage of our review.

Assuming you do well in this admission interview, (and assuming you have applied to Co-op), you will then be invited for your Co-op interview. (If you've reached the interview phase, your GMAT score is no longer a deciding factor - it's long since been reviewed and approved. It's your performance in the Co-op interview which is the deciding factor for getting into Co-op.) Co-op is highly competitive for international students as there are only a limited number of spaces available. As such, we only admit the candidates with the highest Co-op interview scores into the Co-op program.

If for some reason you are unsuccessful in securing one of the top Co-op interview scores, we will still offer you an alternate program option - typically the traditional full-time MBA program.

If you have any other admissions questions, the recruitment and admissions team at DeGroote is happy to help!! Please feel free to email us at mbainfo@mcmaster.ca. :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: DeGroote Co-op Program [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 10:20
echelon99 wrote:

Just to point out though, McGill's avg gmat is 657, compared to 670 (Rotman,Schulich), 690 (Ivey), 665 (Sauder, McMaster).

However, the fact that its based in Que does hinder chances of settling down in Toronto. The students I talked to were having a hard time landing an internship in Toronto, going up against students from Rotman, Schulich, McMaster, and even Brock.

REally, against Brock? even De groote? Thank God I'm not going there.......But if I want to live in Mtl or Quebec, I guess Mcgill is the place to be. But again, who the heck wants to live there when corruptions runs the province and they complain about Tuition increases even though they pay the lowest rates in CAnada. TAbernacllleee!!!!! \

WOOOOOOH!!!! ASAP!!!!!! 730 Biaaacthhhhh
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [1] , given: 215

Re: DeGroote Co-op Program [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
ASAP730 wrote:
TAbernacllleee!!!!! \

LOL. I had forgotten about Quebecois swearing :)
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 48

Re: DeGroote Co-op Program [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 12:55
ASAP730 wrote:
REally, against Brock? even De groote? Thank God I'm not going there.......But if I want to live in Mtl or Quebec, I guess Mcgill is the place to be. But again, who the heck wants to live there when corruptions runs the province and they complain about Tuition increases even though they pay the lowest rates in CAnada. TAbernacllleee!!!!! \

There are a ton of reasons to want to live in Montreal. I've been to almost every major city in North America and have yet to experience the degree of multiculturalism we enjoy in Montreal. Apart from Europe, there are very few cities where you can raise an entirely bilingual family (both languages are useful internationally). Other benefits include countless festivals, great food, mountains and wildlife, proximity to cities like New York, Toronto, Quebec, a relatively low cost of living and a high per capita education rate. All of these factors make Montreal incredibly attractive. Also, speaking purely as a proud Canadian citizen, if you come from Montreal and are bilingual, you have a much greater understanding of the happenings, perspectives and attitudes across all of Canada, not just anglophone Canada (it's no secret why Quebec produces so many Canadian prime ministers). Also, we have the Montreal Canadiens, Toronto... well, it's been almost half a century since the Maple Leafs won a Stanley Cup.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8408 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: DeGroote (McMaster University): Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 13:31
Expert's post
The first post has been updated with a table and stats of all those applying (which is zero right now since we have just added teh school into the DB)

You can use this button to expedite adding yourself

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Re: DeGroote (McMaster University): Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 18:32
I've been talking to current students and they seem quiet happy with the program. I wonder why it never shows up in any ratings?
Manager
Manager

Re: DeGroote (McMaster University): Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 18:33
bb wrote:
The first post has been updated with a table and stats of all those applying (which is zero right now since we have just added teh school into the DB)

Thanks bb! There's no status options with the degroote selection though (Acc/Rej/WL)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8408 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: DeGroote (McMaster University): Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 00:10
Expert's post
echelon99 wrote:
bb wrote:

Thanks bb! There's no status options with the degroote selection though (Acc/Rej/WL)

Thank you for pointing that out - I needed to add a Round option to the school.
I have added a generic (All Rounds) option. Please PM if you would like me to get more specific.

Thanks!
BB.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: DeGroote (McMaster University): Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 00:37
bb wrote:
echelon99 wrote:
bb wrote:

Thank you for pointing that out - I needed to add a Round option to the school.
I have added a generic (All Rounds) option. Please PM if you would like me to get more specific.

Thanks!
BB.

thank you very much BB
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 23

Re: DeGroote (McMaster University): Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 19:58
Hi DeGrooteRecruiter,

I , want to pursue Masters in Business Administration full-time MBA.
I have completed Bachelors in computer science in 2009 with 3.0 G.P.A and have total of 3 years and 9 month of work experience.
My concern is whether i am eligible to apply for Masters in Business Administration programme because my total years of education is 15 years,since in India Bachelors in computer science degree is completed in 15 years.

Regards,
Aristocrat

Thriving for CHANGE

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 1

Re: DeGroote Co-op Program [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 07:00
This post received
KUDOS
ASAP730 wrote:
echelon99 wrote:

Dude you've got serious problems. Seems like you have a grudge against McGill. McGill enjoys an amazing reputation worldwide and is ranked 19th wordwide in NY times employability ranking wheras UofT ranks 49th. Don't get me wrong, UofT and UBC are both amazing schools but none of them enjoys McGill's worldwide reputation.

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/ ... =education

If you think you're being funny by dissing other people's culture, then you should get your head examined. Whether you like it or not, McGill is the Harvard of Canada.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: DeGroote Co-op Program [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 08:20
temuod wrote:
McGill is the Harvard of Canada.

You know what they say: Anything that's the something of the something, isn't really the anything of anything. :shock: 8-)

In all seriousness, McGill is a fantastic school. In his/her own way, ASAP730 was making the point that it might not be the best school to go to if you are 100% certain you wish to make a career in Toronto.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: DeGroote Co-op Program [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 08:46
Ducksworth wrote:
temuod wrote:
McGill is the Harvard of Canada.

You know what they say: Anything that's the something of the something, isn't really the anything of anything. :shock: 8-)

In all seriousness, McGill is a fantastic school. In his/her own way, ASAP730 was making the point that it might not be the best school to go to if you are 100% certain you wish to make a career in Toronto.

Haha ducksworth, i can see that you like the simpsons :) there's no harm in a point of reference. Many newspapers (and the simpsons which in my opinion is flattering) describe it that way. There's a reason why, I didn't invent it myself. I think there's many ways of making a point but ASAP's was definitely not the right way of doing so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: DeGroote (McMaster University): Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 08:57
Somehow the McMaster thread got into a discussion about McGill, so apologies to the OP.

Don't worry about ASAP. He's GMATClub's uncomfortable little brother. He's smart and cute, but is always getting in trouble. We still invite him over for Xmas every year :P
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: DeGroote (McMaster University): Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 09:12
Ducksworth wrote:
Somehow the McMaster thread got into a discussion about McGill, so apologies to the OP.

Don't worry about ASAP. He's GMATClub's uncomfortable little brother. He's smart and cute, but is always getting in trouble. We still invite him over for Xmas every year :P

Yeah i feel bad for the OP a well. Our topic was ridiculous anyways :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: DeGroote (McMaster University): Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 22:19
Hi echelon99,
Congrats on your admission. I have cleared the first level of interview and have scheduled my co-op interview. Can you please share your co-op interview experiences?
Manager
Manager

Re: DeGroote (McMaster University): Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 21:52
mbafanatic wrote:
Hi echelon99,
Congrats on your admission. I have cleared the first level of interview and have scheduled my co-op interview. Can you please share your co-op interview experiences?

Hey,

congrats on the getting the interview. Provided you haven't already gone through with it, I can give you the following pointers

-Get ready for a long interview. Mine lasted 2+ hours.

-Don't worry about the activity. Its do-able and if you've ever been to a job interview, should not be a problem for you.

-Brush up on your interview skills, I hadn't. But thankfully I cleared it anyway.

-Connecting to current students on LinkedIN is a good idea. I started connecting after getting accepted, and have gained almost 150 degroote connections now. The community is welcoming and willing to help!

-Dress well, and make sure to convey your confidence and enthusiasm effectively through skype.

-The behavior based portion of the interview is pretty much like any other MBA interview, there's just a lot more of it.

hope this helps
Re: DeGroote (McMaster University): Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2013, 21:52