Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 08:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Louis Armstrong [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 04:05
bgphelps wrote:
Quote:
Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, jazz singer Billie Holiday’s
approach to singing was to use her voice like an instrument, in that she ranged
freely over the beat, flattened out the melodic contours of tunes, and, in effect,
recomposed songs to suit her range, style, and artistic sensibilities.

A. Billie Holiday’s approach to singing was to use her voice like an instrument,
in that she ranged freely over the beat, flattened.
B. Billie Holiday’s approach to singing was to use her voice in a similar way
to how other musicians play instruments, in ranging freely over the beat,
flattening.
C. Billie Holiday approached singing by using her voice like other musicians
played instruments, ranging freely over the beat, flattening.
D. Billie Holiday used her voice in the same way that other musicians use their
instruments, in that she ranged freely over the beat, flattening.
E. Billie Holiday approached singing by using her voice like other musicians
Instruments, ranging freely over the beat, flattening.

Can someone explain to me why the two words I put in bold above (flattened, recomposed) don't need to stay parallel to each other? I thought A was the best choice because flattening, which is found in answers B-D, doesn't match with the tense of recomposed.

In short, this sounds off to me: ...in that she ranged freely over the beat, flattening out the melodic contours of tunes, and, in effect, recomposed songs to suit.... If recomposed were recomposing that would make more sense.

It also seems to me that 'the technique of Louis Armstrong' refers to his technique and not Louis Armstrong himself. Therefore, comparing the 'the technique of Louis Armstrong' to 'Billie Holiday's approach to singing' would not be incorrect because they both in one way or another refer to a singing technique.

Also, this is one of my first posts on the forum. I've been lurking for a bit but I've recently begun studying more consistently and so I wanted to begin posting on the forum as well. So, hello to everyone.

Thanks for the help!

Brian

I am bad at explaining but if you read the sentence closely, it starts with - 'Deliberately imitating...', now after the comma we have someone's technique, can a technique imitate something? no, it has to be a person, a person can imitae a technique. That's why A and B are out. IMO D.

Working towards a goal...
V.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Louis Armstrong [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 11:19
D is the correct answer IMO...between C & D eliminate C because it fails to correct parallelism in the sentence "ranged..and...recomposed"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Louis Armstrong [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 10:11
my choice was C, but I"have got why I was wrong.thnx to everyone

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Louis Armstrong [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 00:05
Economist wrote:
Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, jazz singer Billie Holiday’s approach to singing was to use her voice like an instrument, in that she ranged freely over the beat, flattened out the melodic contours of tunes, and, in effect, recomposed songs to suit her range, style, and artistic sensibilities.

(A) Billie Holiday’s approach to singing was to use her voice like an instrument, in that she ranged freely over the beat, flattened
(B) Billie Holiday’s approach to singing was to use her voice in a similar way to how other musicians play instruments, in ranging freely over the beat, flattening
(C) Billie Holiday approached singing by using her voice like other musicians played instruments, ranging freely over the beat, flattening
(D) Billie Holiday used her voice in the same way that other musicians use their instruments, in that she ranged freely over the beat, flattening
(E) Billie Holiday approached singing by using her voice like other musicians Instruments, ranging freely over the beat, flattening

Set26-3

I went with 'E', which is wrong.
'D' makes more sense.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 04:48
IMO D

a, b out

c wrong use of lke

E parallelism is not maintained.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: LBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 17:01
Between C and D,

C went out due to parallelism. Also like is tricky here, but incorrect due to wrong use of like.

D is parallel and clear (while still pretty wordy.)

That 700.. I can taste it

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 269

Kudos [?]: 375 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 23:30
Expert's post
This doesn't strike me as a 700. Here's why - you can eliminate two answers for faulty modification. 'Billy Holiday' needs to come directly after jazz singer (Billie Holiday's approach is not a jazz singer).

Next, more faulty modification. 'ranging freely...' in both (C) and (E) modify 'instruments'. It should be modifying Billy Holiday. And just like that (D).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 17

Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 02:10
Economist wrote:
Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, jazz singer Billie Holiday’s approach to singing was to use her voice like an instrument, in that she ranged freely over the beat, flattened out the melodic contours of tunes, and, in effect, recomposed songs to suit her range, style, and artistic sensibilities.

(A) Billie Holiday’s approach to singing was to use her voice like an instrument, in that she ranged freely over the beat, flattened
(B) Billie Holiday’s approach to singing was to use her voice in a similar way to how other musicians play instruments, in ranging freely over the beat, flattening
(C) Billie Holiday approached singing by using her voice like other musicians played instruments, ranging freely over the beat, flattening
(D) Billie Holiday used her voice in the same way that other musicians use their instruments, in that she ranged freely over the beat, flattening
(E) Billie Holiday approached singing by using her voice like other musicians Instruments, ranging freely over the beat, flattening

Set26-3

A and B is out because the comparison need to be done with billie holiday. C and E is out because of the usage of the Like. So IMO answer is D.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 22:04
Eliminate A & B because "Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, Jazz singer Billie Holiday's approach" is incorrect as you have to have Billie Holiday following the technique of Louis Armstrong.

Eliminate C & E because Holiday approached singing is incorrect.

Therefore D.

A good question. Could the OP tell us where he got this question from?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 36

Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 10:30
undoubtedly D.

Incorrect: Wrong comparison
Incorrect: Wrong comparison
Incorrect: Parallelism error--> ranging, flattening no parallel to recomposed
correct
Incorrect: Parallelism error--> ranging, flattening no parallel to recomposed

If you think you are lost, you are.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 10:41
Here option C is also using like with a clause "other musicians played instruments"for comparison : Incorrect.
Hence D is correct!!!

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 04:09
Economist wrote:

Set26-3

Hi,

I accept all other options have problems..But in option D we have same way that other musicians use their instruments which does not has same meaning as like an instrument as in initial statement..
Shouldn't this be a problem?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Fisher '16 (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 06:06
Economist wrote:

Set26-3

In option D)
What does flattening modify ? Is it the entire sentence as in "she ranged freely over the beat" ?.
Also according to e-gmat articles, ranging should modify the previous clause (options C & E). I believe that ranging gives extra information about the approach. Can experts clarify ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 10:22
Another good explanation for C & E being wrong picks is the redundancy: Jazz singer Billie Holiday approached singing ...
Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 2: 770 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.49
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 08:11
This sentence is all over the place... that's really all I can say about it - absolute catastrophe. So much tense confusion, so much awkward phrasing...

So in other words, it's a great question!

:: My test experience ::
http://gmatclub.com/forum/540-to-720-a-debrief-154257.html

\sqrt{scott}

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 5

Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 16:41
(A) Billie Holiday’s approach to singing was to use her voice like an instrument, in that she ranged freely over the beat, flattened - The leading prepositional phrase indicates parallelism; flattened should describe the beat, and not be in similar structure to ranged and..third verb

(B) Billie Holiday’s approach to singing was to use her voice in a similar way to how other musicians play instruments, in ranging freely over the beat, flattening The leading prepositional phrase indicates parallelism

(C) Billie Holiday approached singing by using her voice like other musicians played instruments, ranging freely over the beat, flattening "like" has to compare nouns, never clauses

(D) Billie Holiday used her voice in the same way that other musicians use their instruments, in that she ranged freely over the beat, flattening - good structure and keeps meaning intact. The wordiness is a trick and makes you want to choose another answer

(E) Billie Holiday approached singing by using her voice like other musicians Instruments, ranging freely over the beat, flattening "like" is a parallelism indicator and both nouns must be parallel in structure; additionally, "like" is awkward, and the logic here changes meaning - do other musician's instruments use Billie Holiday's voice as Billie does?

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke '16

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 76

Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong, [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 20:25
correct Answer is D but i put B by mistake
Re: Deliberately imitating the technique of Louis Armstrong,   [#permalink] 09 May 2013, 20:25