Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2004, 00:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions
Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity. The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that for a given level of output, Delta’s operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. The answer, clearly, is yes, since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided that the level of output is held constant.

In the argument given, the two boldface portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second provides support for that conclusion.

B. The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that conclusion.

C. The first states the position that the argument opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument.

D. Each provides evidence that calls the conclusion of the argument into question.

E. Each provides support for the conclusion of the argument.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2004, 08:07
Hi guys,
I really think that if we're going to try to answer people's questions, we should always give our reasoning. It doesn't do much good just to guess at answers.

Let's look at the argument:

The conclusion is that Delta Products' operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly for a given level of output. There are no counter-arguments and nothing is disagreed with. Because of that, C and D are out.

The second sentence is clearly in support of the conclusion, so B is out. The remaining answer choices are A and E and the question you need to answer in order to choose between them is "Does the first sentence provide support for the conclusion or does it identify the content of the conclusion?"

I believe that, because of the way the argument is articulated, the correct answer choice is going to be A. Because the argument states -

The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that for a given level of output, Delta’s operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. The answer, clearly, is yes...

The term I'm concerned with is "than it did formerly". Without the first sentence, you woudn't know what that was referring to.... formerly when? What happened? How long ago? In other words, the conclusion would not be complete without the first sentence.

My answer choice: A

Please post OA.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2004, 10:03
I also pick A.

Here is my reasoning:

The first sentence is a mere fact. It does not support or does anything. The second sentence is in support of the first sentence. I pick A.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2004, 10:13
Yeah....agree.....A too. The first part is just a fact and the latter part is a further explanation / information for the conclusion - "Yes".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2004, 13:22
I also Think A.
But I also think this post might have a typo in C. If we remove "O" from" opposes" = posses . Than I guess the option C will be the best among and will easily fit into the part.

y i m saying this is because is also not a GOOD option. just best of the lot

What do u guys think?

Thanks
Saurabh Malpani
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2004, 20:17
Hello, guys,

the original OA is E.

But I think it's erroneous.

In my opinion, it should be A.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2004, 20:42
hilairity wrote:
Hi guys,
I really think that if we're going to try to answer people's questions, we should always give our reasoning. It doesn't do much good just to guess at answers.

Hi hilairity, I totally agree with you here. Let's try to maintain that culture here and help each other out. Please post your answers along with your reasoning. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2004, 13:08
late post sorry. I picked A. this was my working process.

I know that second part of the sentence is definitley an argument/evidence for the conclusion

I can eliminate b, c, and d. only A and E left

The first part of the bold statement looks more like a conclustion (or at least a statement-like premise). E is out as this part does not support the conclusion.

A is the only one left.

I had problem with understanding the meaning of "the content of the conclusion of the argument". Can someone explain this statement in plain English?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2004, 16:21
chunjuwu/hilairity, I am in favor of 'E'. Don't you guys think that the content of the conclusion is in the 'conclusion' and all other statements support the conclusion.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2004, 18:05
rthothad wrote:
chunjuwu/hilairity, I am in favor of 'E'. Don't you guys think that the content of the conclusion is in the 'conclusion' and all other statements support the conclusion.

Hello, rthothad

I supposed the conclusion is the sentence "The answer, clearly, is yes" which means that for a given level of output, Delta’s operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly.

The first boldface sentence doesn't express any position but just describes the background of the story, and the second boldface sentence support the conclusion.

How do you think? Thank you
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2004, 20:22
Chunjuwu,

Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity. Therefore, Delta’s operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly.

The amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies. Therefore, Delta’s operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly.

If I read like this I think each provides support for the conclusion
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2004, 17:11
I have been travelling and had limited access to the internet, so was not really able to explain my answer choice of E above. This was my logic...

Conclusion: Delta’s operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly

Premise = Boldface 1+Boldface2

Boldface2 tells you that "the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies"

Boldface1 tells you that Delta is now atleast partly switching to new technology.

Either bolface alone is not sufficient to explain the conclusion but both together form the premise for the conclusion.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2005, 06:01
gayathri, thank you.

I fully agree with your opinion.

Each one of the boldface supports the conclusion, because the argument stresses "now."

So, the second boldface cannot totally support the argument without the first boldface.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2005, 07:12
My initial Pick was A. but looking at the explanation provided i think its E..
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 23:11
I agree it's E. Both provide support to the conclusion.
  [#permalink] 24 Jan 2005, 23:11