Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 02:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (02:29) correct 57% (01:29) wrong based on 315 sessions
Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity. The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that for a given level of output, Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. The answer, clearly, is yes, since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided that the level of output is held constant.

In the argument given, the two boldface portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second provides support for that conclusion.
B. The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that conclusion.
C. The first states the position that the argument opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument.
D. Each provides evidence that calls the conclusion of the argument into question.
E. Each provides support for the conclusion of the argument.

What dose " the content of the conclusion of the argument" mean?
I don't get it. :cry:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: GWD #15 V32 [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 03:51
The conclusion is whether the operations of the company are reducing the fossil fuel consumptions. Tough cookie...

Posted from my mobile device Image

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 493

Kudos [?]: 2022 [10] , given: 30

Re: Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 09:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
eybrj2 wrote:
Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity. The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that for a given level of output, Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. The answer, clearly, is yes, since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided that the level of output is held constant.

In the argument given, the two boldface portions play which of the following roles?
(A) The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second provides support for that conclusion.
(B) The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that conclusion.
(C) The first states the position that the argument opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument.
(D) Each provides evidence that calls the conclusion of the argument into question.
(E) Each provides support for the conclusion of the argument.

What does "the content of the conclusion of the argument" mean? I don't get it.

fameatop wrote:
Hi Mike,
Can you kindly explain how come 1st BOLD FACE support the conclusion & what is the meaning of "identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument".
Waiting eagerly for your response. Regards, Fame

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

First of all, this is an Official Guide question. It's in the OG12, CR #97. It's a great question, but it happens to be one of the questions omitted in the transition from OG12 to OG 13.

The word "content" just means --- the insides, the stuff that makes something up. The contents of a box are what's in the box. The contents of the human torso are all the organs that keep us alive. The content of a conclusion is what the conclusion says, the point it is making. Under most circumstances, there's not really a meaningful distinction between "the conclusion" and "the content of the conclusion" --- in other words, a sentence that just says the conclusion is both of these at once. The phrase "content of the conclusion" is sometimes used to emphasize the contrast with something else outside the conclusion, for example, something supporting the conclusion. Also, notice in this particular argument, the conclusion is not really said in words. (More on that in a moment.) Reading the passage, we can get the idea of what the conclusion is saying, that is to say, we can infer the "content" of the conclusion, even though the conclusion does not appear explicitly in black & white. I believe this is precisely why the answers in this question use this particular term.

OK. What's the conclusion in this argument? It's tricky, because the author asks a question, and then answers "yes" to that question. That "yes" answer could be called a kind of "conclusion", but in that form, it doesn't tell us the content of the conclusion, that is, what exactly is being concluded. In order to state the content of the conclusion, we would have to re-write the question as an affirmative statement: It can be concluded that for a given level of output, Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. That's the content of the conclusion, and it is not stated explicitly as a conclusion in the passage --- it only appears as part of a question in the text of the passage. If we wanted to be hypertechnical, we could say:
Conclusion = "Yes." (printed explicitly, but devoid of information; it's more of a proxy for the conclusion)
Content of the Conclusion = "It can be concluded that for a given level of output, Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly" (what the conclusion actually concludes, although it's not stated explicitly)
The GMAT is never going to ask you to be hypertechnical like this. Basically, for almost all intents and purposes, "conclusion" and "content of the conclusion" mean the same things.

To reach this conclusion, we need two pieces of data
1) Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity.
2) The amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided that the level of output is held constant.
Either one of those, by itself and without the other, would not be sufficient to guarantee the conclusion, but together, they provide a very cogent argument for the conclusion. Those are the two bold statements, and together, they support the conclusion.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 67

Re: Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 23:15
The answer must be E.
Both the statements support the conclusion "that the answer is yes"

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 57

Re: Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 22:27
Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity. The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that for a given level of output, Delta’s operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. The answer, clearly, is yes, since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided that the level of output is held constant.

A. The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second
provides support for that conclusion.
B. The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second
identifies the content of that conclusion.
C. The first states the position that the argument opposes; the second states the
conclusion of the argument.
D. Each provides evidence that calls the conclusion of the argument into question.

The first boldface is trying to give a premise or support for the conclusion. The conclusion is that the switch to electricity is better than the use of fossil fuels. The second boldface is explaining why the switch makes sense. So, both are trying to indicate that the conclusion is correct.

It was tough between B and E. I thought E is slightly better. The content of the conclusion was confounding...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 15:52
eybrj2 wrote:
Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity. The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that for a given level of output, Delta’s operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. The answer, clearly, is yes, since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided that the level of output is held constant.

A. The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second
C. The first states the position that the argument opposes; the second states the

I think there is something wrong here. The correct answer is not E. I had this problem given in my class and the conclusion was the answer choice B. Can some one please confirm the same?
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1185 [1] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 21:51
This post received
KUDOS
nyknicks wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

I think there is something wrong here. The correct answer is not E. I had this problem given in my class and the conclusion was the answer choice B. Can some one please confirm the same?

Hi nyknicks

The correct answer of this question is E, not B.

I think you saw a "similar" question in your class.

This question also has other version in which B is correct answer.

Critical Reasoning - Question #97, Official Guide 12.

Delta Products Inc. has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity. The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that for a given level of output Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. The answer, clearly, is yes, since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided level of output is held constant

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
(A) The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second provides support for that conclusion.
(B) The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that conclusion. ==>OA is B
(C) The first states the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
(D) The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
(E) Each provides support for the conclusion of the argument.

Hope it's clear now.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2022 [0], given: 30

Re: Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 11:34
Expert's post
nyknicks wrote:

Dear nyknicks,
Yes, you are 100% right. I want to verify what pqhai said --- yes, this is OG12, CR #97, OA = (B). I edited the question at the head of this thread, so that the answer it gave would reflect the correct OA.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2013, 10:05
mikemcgarry wrote:
nyknicks wrote:

Dear nyknicks,
Yes, you are 100% right. I want to verify what pqhai said --- yes, this is OG12, CR #97, OA = (B). I edited the question at the head of this thread, so that the answer it gave would reflect the correct OA.

Thanks Mike. Now I see the changes.
Cheers :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 11-18-2013

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 01:04
So finally what is the answer :(.. Is it B or E? I feel it is E since like Mike says, both the statements support the conclusion.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2022 [0], given: 30

Re: Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 10:39
Expert's post
madhul90 wrote:
So finally what is the answer :(.. Is it B or E? I feel it is E since like Mike says, both the statements support the conclusion.

Dear Madhu90,
I'm happy to respond. :-) If you get your hands on the OG12 (usually very easy to find in a good used bookstore) and look on p. 622, you will find the full explanation for this question, which includes the OA of (B). Choice (E) is a very good tempting answer, and I see you, among others have been tempted by it. Let's sort this out.

Here's the question, with choices (B) & (E). BTW, eybrj2 originally had the wrong second sentence in bold, which I believe contributed to a great deal of the confusion on this page.

B. The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that conclusion.

With the correct sentences in bold, it's probably clearer now that this second sentence, following the words "concluded that", must be equivalent to the conclusion, not just a support for the conclusion. In the context of that entire sentence, it's posed as a question ("The question has been raised ...."), so this would make it hard to call that second bold section a "conclusion", but it tells us the ideas that the argument has as its conclusion, so it provides the "content" of the conclusion.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2013, 10:39