Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Delta Products Inc. has recently switched at least partly

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 17:33
I just googled this question:

Delta Products Inc. has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity.The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that for a given level of output Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. The answer, clearly, is yes, since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided level of output is held constant

Different areas were bolded and I found consistency with the second bold. This would've changed my own answer if I saw the actual bolds of the text. I chose B, but the answer is E, and I see why now.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 03:55
B- 1st provide the premise that supports the conclusion , 2nd is the content that projected theconclusion
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 09:01
Chill Guys.

The actual question is :

Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity. The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that for a given level of output, Delta’s operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. The answer, clearly, is yes, since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided that the level of output is held constant.

In the argument given, the two boldface portions play which of the following roles?
A: The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second provides support for that conclusion.
B: The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that conclusion.
C: The first states the position that the argument opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument.
D: Each provides evidence that calls the conclusion of the argument into question.
E: Each provides support for the conclusion of the argument.

And the OA is : E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 23:51
drdorian wrote:
I belive it is B, what is the OA?

oh if anybody who claimed that the answer is E is definately mistake for another CR which is the same contend but with another boldfaced sentence... here is the sentence which the answer is E
Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity. The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that for a given level of output, Delta’s operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. The answer, clearly, is yes, since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided that the level of output is held constant.

In the argument given, the two boldface portions play which of the following roles?
A: The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second provides support for that conclusion.
B: The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that conclusion.
C: The first states the position that the argument opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument.
D: Each provides evidence that calls the conclusion of the argument into question.
E: Each provides support for the conclusion of the argument.

and the answer for the question you guy posted must be B. recheck the answer please
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 01:18
I also went for B.
But after analyzing it may be E, because we need to bring the " Clearly, Yes" factor to complete the conclusion. If the bold face portion would have included "Yes" part, then we can call it as conclusion of the argument. Failing this, its mere a support to the conclusion.

I have tried to justify OA E but still willing to take IMO B ;)

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Expert Post
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 2332 [0], given: 693

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 01:53
Expert's post
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1090

Kudos [?]: 4888 [0], given: 163

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 12:17
Expert's post
In bold faced questions, quickly break down the argument to see what role each statement is playing.

Premises:
1. Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity. (Data given to us to support the conclusion)
2. the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided that the level of output is held constant. (Again, data provided to support the conclusion)

What is the conclusion? By giving this data, what is the author trying to say?
- for a given level of output, Delta’s operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly
He says, 'whether it can be concluded' and then says 'The answer, clearly, is yes'. So this is how he has given the conclusion.

According to what is in bold, choose your answer. In the original question, the answer is (B).

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 10:33
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
In bold faced questions, quickly break down the argument to see what role each statement is playing.

Premises:
1. Delta products, Inc., has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity. (Data given to us to support the conclusion)
2. the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided that the level of output is held constant. (Again, data provided to support the conclusion)

- for a given level of output, Delta’s operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly
He says, 'whether it can be concluded' and then says 'The answer, clearly, is yes'. So this is how he has given the conclusion.

According to what is in bold, choose your answer. In the original question, the answer is (B).

hi,
so yu meant that the question's answer i posted is E and the question's answer the other guy posted is B?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 11:12
arundas wrote:
perfectstranger wrote:
Delta Products Inc. has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity.
The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that for a given level of output Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. The answer, clearly, is yes, since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided level of output is held constant

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
(A) The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second provides support for that conclusion.
(B) The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that conclusion.
(C) The first states the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
(D) The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
(E) Each provides support for the conclusion of the argument.

Other type of this question exists but this is another version. Please explain in a detailed way.Nice explanation will be appreciated with kudos :)) . OA after explanations.

I have a fundamental question do you consider the role of just the boldface portion of the sentence or the whole sentence. In PowerScore CR I see that they consider the whole sentence.

If we look at the for a given level of output Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. I firmly believe that it "identifies the content of that conclusion." which is option B. I wont agree with E as second statement does not provide any support to conclusion, it instead raises a question to gather support for the conclusion.

I agree. The first statement supports the conclusion by showing that the method by which fossil fuels have been reduced in the conclusion has been utilized by Delta. The second bold statement forms a question of sorts that identifies what conclusive evidence is provided that a reduction in fossil fuels has taken place - clearly not a support comment for the conclusion.
Expert Post

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 11:48
Expert's post
diebeatsthegmat wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

Premises:

hi,
so yu meant that the question's answer i posted is E and the question's answer the other guy posted is B?

The question you posted doesn't have any statements in bold. But I am assuming you wanted to put the first statement and the last statement (after since) in bold and hence answer to your question will be (E). The answer to the question which was originally posted in the beginning of the thread will be (B).

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2011, 23:12
Why is it D...the second boldface calls the conclusion into question ..The reason I am saying this is because before the second boldaface it says : - " The question has been raised whether i ...... "
Expert Post

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 13:58
Expert's post
siddhans wrote:
Why is it D...the second boldface calls the conclusion into question ..The reason I am saying this is because before the second boldaface it says : - " The question has been raised whether i ...... "

I think you meant to ask why the answer is not D.
The most important step in CR questions is 'identifying the conclusion'. What is the conclusion in this argument?
The conclusion is the author's opinion, the point that he/she is trying to make. The conclusion is that Delta's operation causes less fossil fuel to be consumed now.
The second boldface part is only "for a given level of output Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly" which is exactly what the conclusion is. It gives the content of the conclusion.
There are many ways of giving the content of the conclusion. Say the conclusion is 'X'. You can say:
So we can conclude X.
or
Can we conclude X? Yes we can.

A statement that calls the conclusion into question would give an argument that would be against the conclusion.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 02:37
B is clean here.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 17:06
B for me....

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 22:40
u r right ..it OG 12 Ed problem no 107 ..OA given is B .

"CEO in making"

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:04
+1 for E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 09:24
b :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 04:24
According to what is given as bold phrases.. I feel the answer must 'B'e B :)

the second bold phrase just takes content of the overall sentence 'the question is...' and in the next sentence, it is stated that the answer is YES.

So B it is..

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Delta Products Inc. has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 09:00
Basically we can conclude from this CR :
'identifies the content of conclusion' means the Conclusion. :o

Please correct.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Smith '16 (I)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Delta Products Inc. has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 08:37
OA for this post is incorrect, it should be E.. Mods can you please rectify..look at Ron's explanation over here
http://www.beatthegmat.com/bold-face-qu ... 34190.html

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Re: Delta Products Inc. has recently switched at least partly   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2013, 08:37