Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 21:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Delta Products Inc. has recently switched at least partly

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [2] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Delta Products Inc. has recently switched at least partly [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 14:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

48% (02:33) correct 52% (01:39) wrong based on 444 sessions
Delta Products Inc. has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity.
The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that for a given level of output Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. The answer, clearly, is yes, since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided level of output is held constant

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
(A) The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second provides support for that conclusion.
(B) The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that conclusion.
(C) The first states the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
(D) The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
(E) Each provides support for the conclusion of the argument.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 8

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 17:49
perfectstranger wrote:
Delta Products Inc. has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity.
The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that for a given level of output Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. The answer, clearly, is yes, since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided level of output is held constant

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
(A) The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second provides support for that conclusion.
(B) The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that conclusion.
(C) The first states the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
(D) The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.

Other type of this question exists but this is another version. Please explain in a detailed way.Nice explanation will be appreciated with kudos :)) . OA after explanations.

Answer is B. The fact that delta corp moved from fossil fuel to electricity and fact that fossil fuel to generate electricity that supports delta's operation is less than that directly be the fuel for delta's operation are two supporting statements for the conclusion that delta corp is now using less fossil fuel.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 22:28
another vote for (B). i just looked at the second part...which is not quite a conclusion. the conclusion is "the new technologies allow Delta Products Inc less fuel to produce same output..." the second highlighted part provides content for the conclusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 03:00
Another explanations ?

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [2] , given: 16

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS

Look at the second part of the question - "the second identifies the content of that conclusion"

Now question to yourself - Does the second bold faced does that?

Now go back and check for it and you will realize that the second bold faced does identifies what the conclusion is when it says - "The question .....is"

And obviously the first bold faced supports the conclusion as to why Delta moved partly towards electricity

Hope that helps
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 696 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 23:40
IMO B.

Please post the OA.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 19:20
IMO B

Never give up,,,

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 56

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 19:38
The conclusion of the argument was introduced by phrase "The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that" --> the answer choice is B.

What is the OA?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 6

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 18:57
I think I am the odd person to pick (D).
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 04:13
B... Pls do post the OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 05:38
M the another odd 1 out . D for me .

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 19:46
Good one. :-)

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 20:09
IMO B
The first sentence is a premise and the other one is the conclusion therefore my support for B
Are bold type questions in scope of GMAT CR, i heard that they were out??
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 02:42
OA is E.

GMAT set 17. Scoretop.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 04:16
I went for B.....not E..feel the second part was not providing the support.....rather a piece of information to be determined to make the conclusion true .......so still feel B likely.......Unfortunate if OA truly is E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 20:01
I go with B
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 02:18
D,
could someone explain why E?

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 12

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 03:44
perfectstranger wrote:

the OA must be E, I picked B though
the problem is identification of conclusion, it seems the conclusion is simply : the ANSWER, CLEARLY IS YES
:!:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 05:31
I belive it is B, what is the OA?
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 15

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 19:58
perfectstranger wrote:

Other type of this question exists but this is another version. Please explain in a detailed way.Nice explanation will be appreciated with kudos :)) . OA after explanations.

I have a fundamental question do you consider the role of just the boldface portion of the sentence or the whole sentence. In PowerScore CR I see that they consider the whole sentence.

If we look at the for a given level of output Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly. I firmly believe that it "identifies the content of that conclusion." which is option B. I wont agree with E as second statement does not provide any support to conclusion, it instead raises a question to gather support for the conclusion.

-AD

Re: Delta Products Inc.-bold face   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2010, 19:58