Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Demonstrating progression in career [all opinions r welcome]

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Demonstrating progression in career [all opinions r welcome] [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2009, 10:48
Topic theme:
Demonstrating growth during employment is one of the prime factors of a successful MBA applicant. However seldom are there chances of a rapid and flexible career growth, especially when you are working with a company that among Fortune 5. In such cases how do you demonstrate "professional growth" in your application?

Brief explanation of why I am asking this:
My profile in brief: The company I work for is among Fortune 5, and since graduation from a very prestigious college (the best bachelor's in Mechanical engineering in India), I have been working for my company in various functions and in various places (Singapore, Netherlands, middle east, Western Europe, Australia) and at various levels of the organisation. I have been working for 1.5 years till now, and am thinking of applying either in 2009 or 2010 depending on how mature my profile is for getting in. So when I get in, I am in either with 3 or 4 years of experience. While there is still time to go, I have now time to improve what I work on depending on what I can achieve. I am only looking for the top 10 MBA programs (and nothing lower)
While my other dimensions in extra-curriculars, community, skills etc. have been fairly strong... one thing that worries me is "growth during employment".

The worry is because my company despite offering a "rosy" work experience is a global company, and very big (euphemism for bureaucratic). It's graduate development program is supposed to offer us several different postings, while offering us a flavor of the business. Therefore, at the end of 3/4 years it is very likely that I might end up not having any people reporting to me, or with a significant growth in managerial responsibility. Also mine is a consulting kind of role, which at my age almost literally means getting more experience and knowledge before I can really assume significant responsibilities.

Under such circumstances:

1. Is there anything I can/ should do within my organisation to improve the way I can demonstrate my professional growth?
2. If I could do nothing in 2 more years, is the application still strong if I have a good track record of performance?

While a reply from the professional 8-) is definitely expected... I am also looking for other members who can share experiences :
Demonstrating progression in career [all opinions r welcome]   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2009, 10:48

Demonstrating progression in career [all opinions r welcome]

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap