Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dendrochronology, the study of tree-ring records to glean

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Dendrochronology, the study of tree-ring records to glean [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 20:22
Discussed in detail at the below mentioned link
dendrochronology-the-study-of-tree-ring-records-to-glean-136138.html#p1106463


Dendrochronology, the study of tree-ring records to glean
information about the past, is possible because each year
a tree adds a new layer of wood between the existing
wood and the bark. In temperate and subpolar climates,
cells added at the growing season's start are large and
thin-walled, but later the new cells that develop are
smaller and thick-walled; the growing season is followed
by a period of dormancy. When a tree trunk is viewed in
cross section, a boundary line is normally visible between
the small-celled wood added at the end of the growing
season in the previous year and the large-celled spring
wood of the following year's growing season. The annual
growth pattern appears as a series of larger and larger
rings. In wet years rings are broad; during drought years
they are narrow, since the trees grow less. Often, ring
patterns of dead trees of different, but overlapping, ages
can be correlated to provide an extended index of past
climate conditions.

However, trees that grew in areas with a steady supply of
groundwater show little variation in ring width from year
to year; these "complacent" rings tell nothing about
changes in climate. And trees in extremely dry regions
may go a year or two without adding any rings, thereby
introducing uncertainties into the count. Certain species
sometimes add more than one ring in a single year, when
growth halts temporarily and then starts again.

The passage suggests which of the following about the ring patterns of two trees that grew in the same area and that were of different, but overlapping, ages?

A. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would often exhibit similar patterns.
B. The rings corresponding to the years in which only one of the trees was alive would not reliably indicate the climate conditions of those years.
C. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would exhibit similar patterns only if the trees were of the same species.
D. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years could not be complacent rings.
E. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would provide a more reliable index of dry climate conditions than of wet conditions.


Friends, do you find the logic here, I think I lost somewhere! Thanks!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 950
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GmatPrep. RC [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 06:17
Last line of first para says "Often, ring patterns of dead trees of different, but overlapping, ages can be correlated to provide an extended index of past climate conditions."

A. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would often exhibit similar patterns.
This is not supported. Moreover in both trees have same pattern, it is then case of "complacent cells", it will not yield much of information.

B. The rings corresponding to the years in which only one of the trees was alive would not reliably indicate the climate conditions of those years.
Seems Correct. Because correlation is done exactly for this reason.

C. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would exhibit similar patterns only if the trees were of the same species.
Not supported in passage.

D. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years could not be complacent rings.
May be may be not. Not supported in passage.

E. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would provide a more reliable index of dry climate conditions than of wet conditions.
Nothing is passage supports that correlation will work better in dry conditions better than wet. In fact in dry trees will have unpredictable growth so thereby difficult to correlate and predict.

IMO B. Please post the OA.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: GmatPrep. RC [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 06:34
A

The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would often exhibit similar patterns.

Last line of first para
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Posts: 325
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GmatPrep. RC [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 11:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
I am bad at RC but I will try

E ?

"However, trees that grew in areas with a steady supply of
groundwater show little variation in ring width from year
to year; these "complacent" rings tell nothing about
changes in climate."


So
E :The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would provide a more reliable index of dry climate conditions than of wet conditions.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GmatPrep. RC [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 19:54
Anon wrote:
A

The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would often exhibit similar patterns.

Last line of first para


sondenso wrote:
Often, ring
patterns of dead trees of different, but overlapping, ages
can be correlated to provide an extended index of past
climate conditions.


Anon, can you say some more detail how you translate from "the last line of first para" to "exhibit similar patterns". So subtle, I think!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Posts: 325
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GmatPrep. RC [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 21:14
haha , I am way off !! god save me on 8th !
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 118
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: GmatPrep. RC [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 02:08
IMO B
Keyword: different but Overlapping - ages (last sentence of first para)

Often, ring patterns of dead trees of different, but overlapping, ages can be correlated to provide an extended index of past climate conditions.

When we have "ring patterns of dead trees" (More than one) diffrent - we can correlate ages to predict the past climat condition.

But we have two trees here, one tree live and one tree dead , even though they have overlapping ages, it will not give us any information - which B says.

All other choices are not discussed in this.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 735
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GmatPrep. RC [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 19:15
sondenso wrote:
Often, ring patterns of dead trees of different, but overlapping, ages can be correlated to provide an extended index of past
climate conditions.



sondenso wrote:

A. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would often exhibit similar patterns.
B. The rings corresponding to the years in which only one of the trees was alive would not reliably indicate the climate conditions of those years.



IMHO, C, D , E are clearly out.

I think A is the correct answer:

becuase "Often, ring patterns of dead trees of overlapping ages can be correlated to provide an extended index of past climate conditions."
If the ring patterns of overlapping ages are often co-related to give info about past climate conditions, the rings should exhibit similar patterns, If the ring patterns for overlapping years would have been different, how would have it helped to co-relate past climate conditions.

Whats OA?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GmatPrep. RC [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 20:03
sondenso wrote:
Dendrochronology, the study of tree-ring records to glean
information about the past, is possible because each year
a tree adds a new layer of wood between the existing
wood and the bark. In temperate and subpolar climates,
cells added at the growing season's start are large and
thin-walled, but later the new cells that develop are
smaller and thick-walled; the growing season is followed
by a period of dormancy. When a tree trunk is viewed in
cross section, a boundary line is normally visible between
the small-celled wood added at the end of the growing
season in the previous year and the large-celled spring
wood of the following year's growing season. The annual
growth pattern appears as a series of larger and larger
rings. In wet years rings are broad; during drought years
they are narrow, since the trees grow less. Often, ring
patterns of dead trees of different, but overlapping, ages
can be correlated to provide an extended index of past
climate conditions.

However, trees that grew in areas with a steady supply of
groundwater show little variation in ring width from year
to year; these "complacent" rings tell nothing about
changes in climate. And trees in extremely dry regions
may go a year or two without adding any rings, thereby
introducing uncertainties into the count. Certain species
sometimes add more than one ring in a single year, when
growth halts temporarily and then starts again.

The passage suggests which of the following about the ring patterns of two trees that grew in the same area and that were of different, but overlapping, ages?

A. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would often exhibit similar patterns.
B. The rings corresponding to the years in which only one of the trees was alive would not reliably indicate the climate conditions of those years.
C. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would exhibit similar patterns only if the trees were of the same species.
D. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years could not be complacent rings.
E. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would provide a more reliable index of dry climate conditions than of wet conditions.


Friends, do you find the logic here, I think I lost somewhere! Thanks!


I got A by POE.

B .We donot have enough information to support the answer choice because its unkown if the trees compared are alive tress or dead trees.
C. Again the passage does not discuss anything about species. So no info to support this choice either.
D.Complacent rings - steady water suppy. The questions talks about trees grown in a particular area but does not give any info about the weather conditions or water supplied to the trees.
E. The questions talks about trees grown in a particular area but does not give any info about the weather conditions.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GmatPrep. RC [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2008, 17:42
Thanks guys, OA is A

But I still not get the point!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: GmatPrep. RC   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2008, 17:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Dendrochronology, the study of tree-rin PiyushK 5 12 Aug 2014, 07:05
2 Dendrochronology, the study of tree-ring records to glean maybeam 8 22 Jul 2012, 01:41
Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records applecrisp 4 08 Dec 2007, 18:04
Paleontologists studying the fossil record have estimated tarek99 5 29 Nov 2007, 04:12
Paleontologists studying the fossil record have estimated FN 5 12 Sep 2005, 19:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Dendrochronology, the study of tree-ring records to glean

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.