Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 08:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Denoma, a major consumer-electronics maker, had a sizeable

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Denoma, a major consumer-electronics maker, had a sizeable [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 20:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (02:18) correct 46% (01:32) wrong based on 219 sessions
Denoma, a major consumer-electronics maker, had a sizeable decline in sales revenue for its most recent fiscal year. This result appears surprising, because electronics retailers report that although their overall sales were considerably lower than in the previous year, their sales revenue from Denoma models actually grew, largely thanks to some innovative and popular models that Denoma introduced.
Which of the following, if true, does most to explain the apparently surprising result?

A. Because of the need to educate the public about its new models’ capabilities, Denoma’s advertising spending was higher than normal over the period.
B. For the period at issue, Denoma’s major competitors reported declines in revenue that were, in percentage terms, greater than Denoma’s.
C. A significant proportion of Denoma’s revenue comes from making components for other consumer-electronics manufacturers.
D. Unlike some of its major competitors, Denoma has no lines of business outside consumer electronics to provide revenue when retail sales of consumer electronics are weak.
E. During the period, consumer-electronics retailers sold remaining units of Denoma’s superseded models at prices that were deeply discounted from those models’ original prices.

Can someone please explain what this Argument is saying. I am really having trouble interpreting what is saying and I have read through endless posts through Google, but they make abosolutely no sense.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 42

Re: Denoma Resolve the Paradox [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 01:19
This post received
KUDOS
the argument talks about an consumer electronics maker Denoma,which had a sizeable decline in sales revenue for that particular year. this result comes as a surprise to everyone because according to retailers of electronic goods( the people who sell electronics), although there was a decline in overall sales of electronic goods but the goods manufactured by denoma had increased sales revenue compared to last year. this was largely due to innovation and popularity of newly introduced models of denoma.

so what we have from the argument is basically
-increase in sales revenue from the models manufactured by denoma.
-overall decline in sales of electronic goods.
-overall decline in sales revenue for Denoma.
how can one explain this effect?
if we can assume denoma is also into manufacturing of parts for other electronic goods manufacturers and the revenue from these parts is is much more significant compared to revenue from denoma models, then the above three effects can be explained.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 293

Kudos [?]: 454 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Denoma Resolve the Paradox [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 17:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
So let’s take apart the argument.

Denoma (D.), a consumer-electronic maker, has seen a decrease in sales in the past year. However, D. provides products to retailers, which saw an increase in the sale of D.’s products. How to account for this?

Well, maybe D.’s profits are not solely determined by the number of its products users are able to sell. Maybe, D. creates parts for products that do not have the D. label on them.

For example, let’s say retailers sold D.s new line of home stereos. Units flew off the shelf. However, D. makes a number of parts for many televisions, which do not have the D. label (let’s say for Sony, Panasonic and the rest) If most of D.’s profits are determined by the sale of televisions, then if televisions had a bad year, D.’s profits will decline. This is the case, even with retailers selling plenty of D’s stereos.

The only answer choice that captures this logic is (C).

Let me know that if that helped!

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 277 [1] , given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Denoma Resolve the Paradox [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 21:12
This post received
KUDOS
+1 C

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Denoma Resolve the Paradox [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 05:26
This post received
KUDOS
+1 C
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Denoma Resolve the Paradox [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 11:14
Sorry about he late reply. @ChrisLele and @d3thknell Thank you so much for your posts. This really makes sense now. Basically I understand partially what happened. D's overall Sales Revenue Decreased, but the Sales of certain Models increased. I understand how Choice C explains at a basic level. But I dont see how the Answer has any effect on "Sales of Certain Models Increased"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

Re: Denoma Resolve the Paradox [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 01:38
the answer should be able to sufficiently resolve the paradox given in the question.don't u agree option C does that?
it is true that C does not explain why sales of certain models increased,but that is outside the scope of question.
However the last line of the para says " their sales revenue from Denoma models actually grew, largely thanks to some innovative and popular models that Denoma introduced"
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Yale, Darden, Haas

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Denoma Resolve the Paradox [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 08:43
+ 1 C
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Denoma Resolve the Paradox [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 18:18
ChrisLele wrote:
So let’s take apart the argument.

Denoma (D.), a consumer-electronic maker, has seen a decrease in sales in the past year. However, D. provides products to retailers, which saw an increase in the sale of D.’s products. How to account for this?

Well, maybe D.’s profits are not solely determined by the number of its products users are able to sell. Maybe, D. creates parts for products that do not have the D. label on them.

For example, let’s say retailers sold D.s new line of home stereos. Units flew off the shelf. However, D. makes a number of parts for many televisions, which do not have the D. label (let’s say for Sony, Panasonic and the rest) If most of D.’s profits are determined by the sale of televisions, then if televisions had a bad year, D.’s profits will decline. This is the case, even with retailers selling plenty of D’s stereos.

The only answer choice that captures this logic is (C).

Let me know that if that helped!

What is wrong with A)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.85
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 3

Re: Denoma Resolve the Paradox [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 22:35
I was caught between C and E.

I chose E, because I considered the following assumptions:

1. Retailers made sizeble purchases of Denoma's products last year.
2. Only one product was sold full price by retailers the previous year.
3. As Retailers wanted to rid themselves of the non selling stock, they offered a deep discount.
4. Retailers sold all of their Denoma's Stock, and therefore made more Revenues of Denoma's products than previous year.

Nevertheless, after reading the stimulus again, I realized that E can not be, as the sales that retailers report grew largely thanks to some innovative and popular models that Denoma Introduced.

C it is... I guess the next time I get caught between 2 options I will look back again to the stimulus to find some scope narrowing wording.

Keep walking!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Denoma Resolve the Paradox [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 03:08
Denoma, a major consumer-electronics maker, had a sizeable decline in sales revenue for its most recent fiscal year. This result appears surprising, because electronics retailers report that although their overall sales were considerably lower than in the previous year, their sales revenue from Denoma models actually grew, largely thanks to some innovative and popular models that Denoma introduced.
Which of the following, if true, does most to explain the apparently surprising result?

A. Because of the need to educate the public about its new models’ capabilities, Denoma’s advertising spending was higher than normal over the period.
advertising spends is irrelevant
B. For the period at issue, Denoma’s major competitors reported declines in revenue that were, in percentage terms, greater than Denoma’s.
retailers have not reported a positive growth for Denoma as comapred to competitors but a growth in Denoma models as compared to past year Denoma sales .
C. A significant proportion of Denoma’s revenue comes from making components for other consumer-electronics manufacturers.
Only plausible option for increment in Denoma's sales .
D. Unlike some of its major competitors, Denoma has no lines of business outside consumer electronics to provide revenue when retail sales of consumer electronics are weak.
does not support statement that Denoma sales increased
E. During the period, consumer-electronics retailers sold remaining units of Denoma’s superseded models at prices that were deeply discounted from those models’ original prices
The retailers report sales of innovative models which have been recently introduced
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 75

Re: Denoma Resolve the Paradox [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 05:55
Ofcourse C

Let's keep it short and simple, the argument states that:
-Overall revenue of company has declined BUT
-The retail sales has done good business
It means that, the overall decremented revenue is not directly related to the retail sales ONLY.Something else is responsible for the overall sales/revenue decline.

Only C states that a substantial revenue is dependent on something else too ( "A significant proportion of Denoma’s revenue comes from making components for other consumer-electronics manufacturers.")

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Denoma Resolve the Paradox [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 06:31
what is wrong with option e
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Denoma, a major consumer-electronics maker, had a sizeable [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 12:17
E is irrelevant.

The argument is that the sales of electronic retailers increased from INNOVATIVE and POPULAR models so the discussion superseded models is irrelevant to the argument.
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 543

Re: Denoma, a major consumer-electronics maker, had a sizeable [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 07:48
Totally missed the innovative models part and fell for the E trap choice. Good question

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Denoma Resolve the Paradox [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 06:35
But what is wrong with C.
I see that the revenue has declined, but the retail sales have increased. Now we have to fill this gap. It can be filled with the advertising costs. And also the statement clearly says "thanks to new models" . It means that there are new models which did come. However, if manufacturing of other spare parts is concerned, I think it is irrelevant. It might be it is gaining for those spare parts, charging the same amount from the companies as earlier, and the other companies, in spite of already being in loss, may be buying those parts at more prices. How can you be certain on this?

thevenus wrote:
Ofcourse C

Let's keep it short and simple, the argument states that:
-Overall revenue of company has declined BUT
-The retail sales has done good business
It means that, the overall decremented revenue is not directly related to the retail sales ONLY.Something else is responsible for the overall sales/revenue decline.

Only C states that a substantial revenue is dependent on something else too ( "A significant proportion of Denoma’s revenue comes from making components for other consumer-electronics manufacturers.")
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 68

Re: Denoma, a major consumer-electronics maker, had a sizeable [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 22:32
fozzzy wrote:
Totally missed the innovative models part and fell for the E trap choice. Good question

Yeah, I miss the same point. Good question.
Re: Denoma, a major consumer-electronics maker, had a sizeable   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2014, 22:32