Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Densmore Company, known for its luxury goods, has recently

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 14

Densmore Company, known for its luxury goods, has recently [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 11:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

71% (02:47) correct 29% (01:48) wrong based on 46 sessions
Densmore Company, known for its luxury goods, has recently expanded its business and has begun marketing to consumers who, when surveyed, have stated that they usually purchase products priced at or below the prevailing market rate. To attract these customers' business, Densmore is advertising that its new, more inexpensive product lines, already priced lower than its top-selling luxury items, are on sale for 30% off. The Densmore marketing staff has determined that advertising its discounted prices is the most effective way of attracting potential customers.

Which of the following would be most helpful in evaluating the likelihood that Densmore's plan will achieve its goal?

A) How the profit margins on the new product lines compare to those for the top selling luxury items.

B) What percentage of existing Densmore customers are included in the consumer survey.

C) How many consumers surveyed are existing Densmore customers.

D) Whether those consumers most concerned with bargain-hunting will be exposed to Densmore's advertising campaign.

E) How the sale price compare to those for comparable, non-discounted products.

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 622 [3] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Medium Hard CR [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
CharuKapoor wrote:
Densmore Company, known for its luxury goods, has recently expanded its business and has begun marketing to consumers who, when surveyed, have stated that they usually purchase products priced at or below the prevailing market rate. To attract these customers' business, Densmore is advertising that its new, more inexpensive product lines, already priced lower than its top-selling luxury items, are on sale for 30% off. The Densmore marketing staff has determined that advertising its discounted prices is the most effective way of attracting potential customers.

Which of the following would be most helpful in evaluating the likelihood that Densmore's plan will achieve its goal?

A) How the profit margins on the new product lines compare to those for the top selling luxury items.

B) What percentage of existing Densmore customers are included in the consumer survey.

C) How many consumers surveyed are existing Densmore customers.

D) Whether those consumers most concerned with bargain-hunting will be exposed to Densmore's advertising campaign.

E) How the sale price compare to those for comparable, non-discounted products.

hey hii.
The conclusion is : "The Densmore marketing staff has determined that advertising its discounted prices is the most effective way of attracting potential customers."
The marketing staff based its conclusion on "Densmore is advertising that its new, more inexpensive product lines, already priced lower than its top-selling luxury items, are on sale for 30% off".
Now let me explain via an example. Consider two car brands, namely Bugatti and Peugeot. Bugatti costs $200,000 and Peugeot costs around $65,000. As we all know Bugatti is quite expensive, in fact for me it is cause I am not a millionaire, Bugatti cars are not affordable to many customers. To expand its customer base, Bugatti decides to introduce a cheaper model, suppose at $175,000. Moreover, Bugatti is also providing a discount of 30% on the sale price of its newer model. Suppose that price is around $140,000.
Now my question is, can we expect Bugatti to attract potential customers. NO! because still there is a huge price difference between the Peugeot and Bugatti's new model. Even if Bugatti advertises its discounted price, no way it is going to attract potential customers.
The matter of concern is the price of the brand after discount.
For me, its straight E.
When I read this question, the first thing that struck my mind was the basis on which the marketing staff based its conclusion. I knew what I was looking for and E was available.
Let me know, if any more clarification is required.
Regards.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

SVP
SVP
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Densmore Company, known for its luxury goods, has recently [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2014, 21:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Densmore Company, known for its luxury goods, has recently   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2014, 21:50