Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [36]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [24]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Densmore Company, known for its luxury goods, has recently [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Marcab nails it here already!

• Densmore Company has recently expanded its business to consumers who purchase products priced at or below the prevailing market rate.
  • therefore Densmore is advertising that its new, more inexpensive product lines, already priced lower than its top-selling luxury items, are on sale for 30% off.
  • The Densmore marketing staff expects its plan to be most effective.

Which of the following would be most helpful in evaluating the likelihood that Densmore's plan will achieve its goal?

A) How the profit margins on the new product lines compare to those for the top selling luxury items............these consumers are not bothered about luxury items so they wont buy simply by some reduction compared to luxury items.

B) What percentage of existing Densmore customers are included in the consumer survey............Survey can only indicate but note determine effectiveness of the plan. D's customers are those who purchase luxury items and their % cannot guarantee info regarding anything to consumers who purchase products priced at or below the prevailing market rate.

C) How many consumers surveyed are existing Densmore customers..............same as B. Useless info

D) Whether those consumers most concerned with bargain-hunting will be exposed to Densmore's advertising campaign.
We have a section of consumers who purchase products priced at or below the prevailing market rate. but this bargain hunting is the keyword that misled me here. I selected this choice because of it. Bargain hunters are those who look for discounts but consumers who purchase products priced at or below the prevailing market rate may find the price too high even after the discount. So this cannot be the answer.

E) How the sale price compare to those for comparable, non-discounted products.
final price of the discounted product in comparison with non-discounted products which were purchased by these customers prior to this sale promotion matters and decides on the sale finally
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Schools: LBS '18 ISB '19
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
Kudos
Marcab wrote:
CharuKapoor wrote:
Densmore Company, known for its luxury goods, has recently expanded its business and has begun marketing to consumers who, when surveyed, have stated that they usually purchase products priced at or below the prevailing market rate. To attract these customers' business, Densmore is advertising that its new, more inexpensive product lines, already priced lower than its top-selling luxury items, are on sale for 30% off. The Densmore marketing staff has determined that advertising its discounted prices is the most effective way of attracting potential customers.

Which of the following would be most helpful in evaluating the likelihood that Densmore's plan will achieve its goal?

A) How the profit margins on the new product lines compare to those for the top selling luxury items.

B) What percentage of existing Densmore customers are included in the consumer survey.

C) How many consumers surveyed are existing Densmore customers.

D) Whether those consumers most concerned with bargain-hunting will be exposed to Densmore's advertising campaign.

hey hii.
The conclusion is : "The Densmore marketing staff has determined that advertising its discounted prices is the most effective way of attracting potential customers."
The marketing staff based its conclusion on "Densmore is advertising that its new, more inexpensive product lines, already priced lower than its top-selling luxury items, are on sale for 30% off".
Now let me explain via an example. Consider two car brands, namely Bugatti and Peugeot. Bugatti costs $200,000 and Peugeot costs around $65,000. As we all know Bugatti is quite expensive, in fact for me it is cause I am not a millionaire, Bugatti cars are not affordable to many customers. To expand its customer base, Bugatti decides to introduce a cheaper model, suppose at $175,000. Moreover, Bugatti is also providing a discount of 30% on the sale price of its newer model. Suppose that price is around $140,000.
Now my question is, can we expect Bugatti to attract potential customers. NO! because still there is a huge price difference between the Peugeot and Bugatti's new model. Even if Bugatti advertises its discounted price, no way it is going to attract potential customers.
The matter of concern is the price of the brand after discount.
For me, its straight E.
When I read this question, the first thing that struck my mind was the basis on which the marketing staff based its conclusion. I knew what I was looking for and E was available.
Let me know, if any more clarification is required.
Regards.

option e states How the sale price compare to those for comparable, non-discounted products
It's a nice explanation , but it doesnt explain the fact that how buggati's discounted model is comparable to peugeot?
While making a buying decison by customers stated in option E the models here or the products in the argument must be comparable.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
Densmore Company, known for its luxury goods, has recently expanded its business and has begun marketing to consumers who, when surveyed, have stated that they usually purchase products priced at or below the prevailing market rate. To attract these customers' business, Densmore is advertising that its new, more inexpensive product lines, already priced lower than its top-selling luxury items, are on sale for 30% off. The Densmore marketing staff has determined that advertising its discounted prices is the most effective way of attracting potential customers.

A) How the profit margins on the new product lines compare to those for the top selling luxury items. -We need to compare inexpensive products with each other. Incorrect comparison

B) What percentage of existing Densmore customers are included in the consumer survey. -Doesn't matter. A potential customer is a potential customer, new or old doesn't matter as long as the sales improve.

C) How many consumers surveyed are existing Densmore customers. -Same as B

D) Whether those consumers most concerned with bargain-hunting will be exposed to Densmore's advertising campaign. -People looking for bargaining will never be satisfied with the prices. Out of scope

E) How the sale price compare to those for comparable, non-discounted products. -Correct. The argument reasons that if the prices of new products will be lower than market prices then there is a chance of better sales. This option targets this very crux of the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Concentration: Finance
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
CharuKapoor wrote:

A) How the profit margins on the new product lines compare to those for the top selling luxury items.

B) What percentage of existing Densmore customers are included in the consumer survey.

A) How the profit margins on the new product lines compare to those for the top selling luxury items. - The goal is to attract customers. Profit margins are irrelevant.

B) What percentage of existing Densmore customers are included in the consumer survey. - The argument states "Densmore Company, known for its luxury goods, has recently expanded its business and has begun marketing to consumers who, when surveyed, have stated that they usually purchase products priced at orbelow the prevailing market rate.", implying that it is targeting a different segment of customers now (who usually wont purchase above the prevailing market rates). Irrelevant.

C) How many consumers surveyed are existing Densmore customers. - Same as B.

D) Whether those consumers most concerned with bargain-hunting will be exposed to Densmore's advertising campaign. - The argument states "has begun marketing to consumers who, when surveyed, have stated that they usually purchase products priced at or below the prevailing market rate". Goes against argument.

E) How the sale price compare to those for comparable, non-discounted products. - Correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Densmore Company, known for its luxury goods, has recently [#permalink]
Dear VeritasKarishma AnthonyRitz AjiteshArun IanStewart GMATGuruNY,

Since there is not many explanations found on the internet. Let me ask a couple of questions here:

Q1. What is the goal of the plan?

The Densmore marketing staff has determined that advertising its discounted prices is the most effective way of attracting potential customers.

Is it to attract NEW customers? Or just any customers (doesn't matter NEW or EXISTING customers)?

I thought the goal is to attract new customers, so I land on choice B.

Q2. Why is choice D. wrong?

If the customers are not exposed to the advertisement, the plan will easily become ineffective! The target group does not even know that the products exist! (not to mention considering buying them)

Please help! :please :please :please
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
CharuKapoor wrote:

hey hii.
The conclusion is : "The Densmore marketing staff has determined that advertising its discounted prices is the most effective way of attracting potential customers."
The marketing staff based its conclusion on "Densmore is advertising that its new, more inexpensive product lines, already priced lower than its top-selling luxury items, are on sale for 30% off".
Now let me explain via an example. Consider two car brands, namely Bugatti and Peugeot. Bugatti costs $200,000 and Peugeot costs around $65,000. As we all know Bugatti is quite expensive, in fact for me it is cause I am not a millionaire, Bugatti cars are not affordable to many customers. To expand its customer base, Bugatti decides to introduce a cheaper model, suppose at $175,000. Moreover, Bugatti is also providing a discount of 30% on the sale price of its newer model. Suppose that price is around $140,000.
Now my question is, can we expect Bugatti to attract potential customers. NO! because still there is a huge price difference between the Peugeot and Bugatti's new model. Even if Bugatti advertises its discounted price, no way it is going to attract potential customers.
The matter of concern is the price of the brand after discount.
For me, its straight E.
When I read this question, the first thing that struck my mind was the basis on which the marketing staff based its conclusion. I knew what I was looking for and E was available.
Let me know, if any more clarification is required.
Regards.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts