Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Depressed :( 420(Q:29;V20)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 11:59
Fig wrote:
Nice advices given by everyone :)

To me, one of the most important aspect is to plan your weekdays. U need to be sure of how much time u can give to the GMAT. A realistic planning is requiered here :).... Be honest on what u can give and respect your planning. :).

Also, it's crucial to work on sets of questions on both V & Q sections. At the end of each set, u should spend almost the same, if not even more (2 > 5 min), time to revise/correct every single question/answer.

In my case:
> I applied the 15-15-15 rule on verbal and I did 30 question of Q on a same day
> I preserved the Sunday for a full GMAT Test (including AWA)
> I used the Sathurday to check back my errorLogs.

Progressively, with such a strict weekday planning, u will feel more and more confortable and u will feel that your skills are keened. :)

Finally, keep comming here and use the wonderfull ressource that is the GMATClub. Participate in debate over questions in both V & Q. Do not feel reticent for any reasons to post your question :)

Good Luck ! :)

I do not understand your 15-15-15 rule. Does it mean that one has to do 30 questions each of verbal and quant. on weekdays?

Last edited by lonesome307 on 11 Jan 2007, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 12:07
It's to make 15 SCs, 15 CRs and 15RCs (2 passages) :). This took me 3 hours with the corrections :).... Only for Verbal.... Then, I completed with Q (11pm > 1am) :)

How much time do u have a day? :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2007, 10:27
One thing I have found in common with almost all who report low Verbal scores here. They all have numerous grammatical mistakes in their emails. Now I know we all rush and are sloppy with our emails...However if one cant write a simple, untimed email without mistakes how can one possibly expect to find cleverly disguised mistakes under time pressure.

I am not saying this to be a PIA. My suggestion is whenever you write, talk, read email, make sure everything is correct. Go back and correct your emails. When I speak with my 3 year old son I constantly correct his syntax and grammar, logical constructions etc. It will be worth it for him.

Do use the MGMAT SC book, quite good. And just read, read read, Not people magazine, read the economist and the like.

I have been thinking and I imagine most high scorers studied for more hours per week than they watched TV. Just a thought.

You will do better. Sounds like you are committed. Go for it.

Eric
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2007, 15:43
Fig wrote:
It's to make 15 SCs, 15 CRs and 15RCs (2 passages) :). This took me 3 hours with the corrections :).... Only for Verbal.... Then, I completed with Q (11pm > 1am) :)

How much time do u have a day? :)

I have about 3 -4 hrs on weekdays and 6-7 hrs on weekends.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2007, 15:46
ericttz wrote:
One thing I have found in common with almost all who report low Verbal scores here. They all have numerous grammatical mistakes in their emails. Now I know we all rush and are sloppy with our emails...However if one cant write a simple, untimed email without mistakes how can one possibly expect to find cleverly disguised mistakes under time pressure.

I am not saying this to be a PIA. My suggestion is whenever you write, talk, read email, make sure everything is correct. Go back and correct your emails. When I speak with my 3 year old son I constantly correct his syntax and grammar, logical constructions etc. It will be worth it for him.

Do use the MGMAT SC book, quite good. And just read, read read, Not people magazine, read the economist and the like.

I have been thinking and I imagine most high scorers studied for more hours per week than they watched TV. Just a thought.

You will do better. Sounds like you are committed. Go for it.

Eric

Thanks for the advise. I just corrected the possible mistakes in my message.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2007, 14:06
I was finally able to get 42 on the quantitative section. I am still struggling with the verbal and am able to score only in the range of 22-24. Any advice as to what approach should I take in order to increase my verbal score to mid 30's range? Once I review the test, I am able to get all the answers correct in the verbal except a few. It means that the time pressure is really killing me in the verbal. Need advice from the Gmat gurus here...

Another question I have is relating to the Gmat prep. software CAT's. Seems like there are 2 CAT's and both of them are taking questions from a pool of OG 10 and 11 editions, right? If so, why did they even create two different tests in the first place? Can someone clarify this?

Thanks
Manager
Manager

How to tackle this beast? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2007, 01:56
I retook the exam today and failed again. I only managed to score 480! I went through the following in entirety i.e.

OG11
OG10
MGMAT SC
ARCO GMAT/GRE MATH REVIEW
GMAT VERBAL AND QUANTATIVE REVIEW
TOOK THE GMATPREP AND POWERPREP EXAMS MULTIPLE TIMES

SCORES RANGED FROM 500-660

Can anyone please tell me how to tame this beast known as Gmat? I am really starting to think that either this test is just not for me or I am not that smart enough to handle it's rigor! I have one last chance to retake by April 1st. I have been studying for this test since July of 2006. I really need serious help otherwise I won't be able to get to my dream school! I have already finished all my essays and other application requirements.

Need sincere help and advice if I can make it to at least 660 in a month's time...

Thanks.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2007, 02:15
Sorry that you didn't make it.

What is your breakdown compared to your last one?

One thing I notice is that you have a little number of posts, meaning that you have not participated enough to V and Q problems on this forum. That may really help you, to confront your post and explanations to others'.
I don't know if you have sufficient time for this, since it has to be done in parallele to the regular learning(OG...). In my case, I posted a lot during working hours from my office...

The other point is that you regurlarly scored too low(500- 660). You should analyse what you got wrong because there lays the answer of your failure.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2007, 02:44
karlfurt wrote:
Sorry that you didn't make it.

What is your breakdown compared to your last one?

One thing I notice is that you have a little number of posts, meaning that you have not participated enough to V and Q problems on this forum. That may really help you, to confront your post and explanations to others'.
I don't know if you have sufficient time for this, since it has to be done in parallele to the regular learning(OG...). In my case, I posted a lot during working hours from my office...

The other point is that you regurlarly scored too low(500- 660). You should analyse what you got wrong because there lays the answer of your failure.
Thanks for your reply. Here is my latest breakdown (Q36:V20). Another thing I have noticed that I got a geometry in the Quant section which was a total surprise for me. It was relating to a circle and finding the y-intercept co-ordinates. OG does not even mention any equation of circles. As far as SC and RC are concerned, I was undecided between two choice at many occassions.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

timing stategy [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 11:04
Hi buddy, I also took the gmat the first time and scored 420 and just like you i had timing issue. However in the next round, I took a digital clock while doing problems . For example for Math problem number 1, clock starts at 10:00am and finishes at 10:02am. I know i need to answer this question in 2 minutes. In the exam, i used the same strategy i.e. If timing starts at 75 minutes, I will write down the time, i need to stop answering this question i.e. at 73 . 2 minutes per math problem. Try this strategy and let me know if it works..

Target +700
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you gonna get.. :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 07:41
Hi lonesome,

Sorry to hear about your second try. It sounds like you have a busy week at work. How much time did you invest in studying daily? I know you said you planned on doing 2 hours a day, but did you actually do that everyday?

I don't think anyone can say they are too stupid for this exam, it just takes alot of preparation. Maybe since you have such a tough work schedule, you should set aside more time rather than rushing to take the exam. Just a thought.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: timing stategy [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 15:05
sudhanshu_arora wrote:
Hi buddy, I also took the gmat the first time and scored 420 and just like you i had timing issue. However in the next round, I took a digital clock while doing problems . For example for Math problem number 1, clock starts at 10:00am and finishes at 10:02am. I know i need to answer this question in 2 minutes. In the exam, i used the same strategy i.e. If timing starts at 75 minutes, I will write down the time, i need to stop answering this question i.e. at 73 . 2 minutes per math problem. Try this strategy and let me know if it works..

This is weird, Pearson is supposed to not allow watches at the test (other than the one provided by the computer itself).

I agree, however, that you need to work on timing.

On the original purpose: don't keep taking the exam hoping for some miracle. If your target is, for eg, 650+, then you should be scoring high 600s - 7XX in preps before you go for it. As written before in this forum, a 1st score is somehow much more valuable than a 3rd score.

Hope it helps.
Re: timing stategy   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2007, 15:05