Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Depressed, Losing Hope: 520-> 520 (3 mos. of studying)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 520 Q35 V27
GMAT 2: 520 Q27 V35
GMAT 3: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 4: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3.7
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Depressed, Losing Hope: 520-> 520 (3 mos. of studying) [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 16:33
Hi everyone,

I hope you could give me some advice and motivation... really need it right now. To get started, this is my GMAT history:

My GMAT 2- 520 (Q28, V36). I spent a lot of time on a few problems on the quant and thus I blindly guessed the last five or six questions on the Quant section.

I first took my GMAT a year ago, in September 2011. I left my previous job to work for my family's business, so compared to other people I had a lot time in my hands. I studied on and off for 6 months on my first GMAT attempt, an average of 2 hours a day. However, looking back, I realized the following mistakes from my first GMAT attempt:

1) Used only the Kaplan books: 2009 edition; Verbal and Math foundations and OG12.
2) I did the exercises but I did not time myself - I only started some OG12 questions - one week before the exam.
But I was only focused studying during this time, since I asked some time from work from my family's business.
3) I never did any practice exam or practice from the GMAT Prep.
4) I took a lot of time trying to memorize content vs. learning to apply concepts

It took me year to decide to retake the GMAT again since I got busy with our business and other family matters. I found out about GMAT club and started reading about people's experiences. In particular, I read success stories of people who were able to improve their score from 500 to 700 level. I also read the BB's post about retaking the GMAT. I tried to follow some of the tips which I thought would work best for me. However, I ended up doing the following

1) Made a detailed schedule - I stopped working for 3 mos. (I know, I am luckier than most people on this aspect since I am working for a family business, that's why I get so frustrated all the more since I realized that some of the people here are so busy but they are very efficient in their studying) and just focused on studying - I studied for 8 hours a day - 4 hours in the morning, 4 hours in the afternoon. I went to bed early. I started with the Quant Section since I really struggle with timing on the PS and DS.
2) Got quality material - I bought the Manhattan GMAT Word Translation, Number Properties, Sentence Correction, IR & Essay, Reading Comprehension and Powerscore's CR strategies. I focused on each topic before proceeding to another, I answered the exercises, as well as the suggested exercises on the OG12 after each chapter from MGMAT guides.
3) I answered all the questions and reviewed the answers in the OG12 twice for the math section.
4) I did two practice exams (both 570), answered all the practice questions in the GMAT Prep Software in the last 4 before my actual GMAT

I know my weakness is really the Quant section. I've never really been good with math in my younger days - I wasn't failing, but I just barely passed tests after really studying hard. For the Verbal section - I'm just so-so. Reading the posts here, I know I need to do a lot more. I know that I don't have the right to complain when others are doing a lot more than me. I also realized that for my past preparations - I keep repeating the mistake of focusing and taking a long time on trying to remember contents rather trying to apply them right away via consistently answering different questions types / taking regular practice exams over a certain period. I tended to study one topic, answer the exercises, then proceed to the next one without trying to recap. I ended up forgetting some the concepts I studied early on. In this case the quant section.

I'm really lost and don't know what to do anymore. Maybe I over studied and got burned out, or maybe I wasn't efficient at studying or there's something wrong with my study habits. I broke up with someone, and I had family problems during the months I was studying for the exam - this is an excuse I try to tell myself for my failure, but this really got me distracted during my preparation. I'm sorry for this long post, and I know parts of it, are things that only I could solve. I am just really hoping to get advice from someone who had dealt with a lot of emotional turmoil and was able to overcome the GMAT despite it. I just want to be able get my confidence back or even to get the right motivation to studying. Sometimes, I'm really losing hope that I'll get my scores high to even get to a 600 level.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 44

Re: Depressed, Losing Hope: 520-> 520 (3 mos. of studying) [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 03:50
This post received
KUDOS
Oh i'm really sorry man...
As you said you were lucky enough to prepare for GMAT with dedication. But when it comes to score GMAT it was unfair to u..

You had gut to leave ur job and prepare for ur GMAT. Hats off for that.
ya when all your effort was ruined it will hurt u..
But dont get depressed try again...

Even i'm in same boat..
I quit my job 3 months before dedicated to GMAT, at least this time will hit it hard...

dont lose ur hope... Only hope will take you higher...

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Depressed, Losing Hope: 520-> 520 (3 mos. of studying) [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
The good news is your verbal is good. Quant is easy to do increase your score. Get a tutor and do OG 11-12-13 OG reviews and GMATPREP and buy the extra questions. do the gmat practice tests. DO NOT DO QUESTIONS FROM OTHER SOURCES AS THEY ARE NOT REAL QUESTIONS! and Timing is key to success on the GMAT!!!!! Get a Tutor to fast track. No joke! With enough dedications your Quant will increase from 28 to 40+ easily. You can easily get a 650+ cause your verbal is quite good. once Q is 40+ work on Verbal. Get the timing down and BAM! 700! Good luck
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

Re: Depressed, Losing Hope: 520-> 520 (3 mos. of studying) [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 22:45
Sorry to hear about it.What were ur practice scores? GMATPREP mimics the actual test very well.Did u give Manhattan tests as well?

Thanks,
Shreeraj
Intern
Intern

Re: Depressed, Losing Hope: 520-> 520 (3 mos. of studying) [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 03:34
shreerajp99 wrote:
Sorry to hear about it.What were ur practice scores? GMATPREP mimics the actual test very well.Did u give Manhattan tests as well?

Thanks,
Shreeraj

Hi Shreeraj,

That was my mistake actually, I only did two GMAT Prep two times, in the last 4 days before my exam. My scores were 570. I did not do the Manhattan GMAT CAT tests too...another mistake, should've taken advantage of them. I really took a long time trying to "master" the content, but in the end, I didn't practice testmanship enough.
Intern
Intern

Re: Depressed, Losing Hope: 520-> 520 (3 mos. of studying) [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 03:36
dc1234 wrote:
The good news is your verbal is good. Quant is easy to do increase your score. Get a tutor and do OG 11-12-13 OG reviews and GMATPREP and buy the extra questions. do the gmat practice tests. DO NOT DO QUESTIONS FROM OTHER SOURCES AS THEY ARE NOT REAL QUESTIONS! and Timing is key to success on the GMAT!!!!! Get a Tutor to fast track. No joke! With enough dedications your Quant will increase from 28 to 40+ easily. You can easily get a 650+ cause your verbal is quite good. once Q is 40+ work on Verbal. Get the timing down and BAM! 700! Good luck

Thanks for the advice and the motivation :) I will really consider the tutor too, as I have limited time. I'm going back to work and I want to be efficient at studying this time.
Intern
Intern

Re: Depressed, Losing Hope: 520-> 520 (3 mos. of studying) [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 03:41
shanmugamgsn wrote:
Oh i'm really sorry man...
As you said you were lucky enough to prepare for GMAT with dedication. But when it comes to score GMAT it was unfair to u..

You had gut to leave ur job and prepare for ur GMAT. Hats off for that.
ya when all your effort was ruined it will hurt u..
But dont get depressed try again...

Even i'm in same boat..
I quit my job 3 months before dedicated to GMAT, at least this time will hit it hard...

dont lose ur hope... Only hope will take you higher...

Thank you! I'm really glad, I had the courage to share my story. I'm really happy I've come to learn about GMAT club and get all these encouragement :) I'm now trying to go back to work but I'm not giving up on GMAT. I just need to work harder and smarter this time. :)
Re: Depressed, Losing Hope: 520-> 520 (3 mos. of studying)   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2012, 03:41