Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 04:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Depressed, Scored a 590 today. Profile eval. Please help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Depressed, Scored a 590 today. Profile eval. Please help! [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 23:35
I need your help! Please help evaluate my profile. I just took my GMAT today and received a 590 score, I'm frankly a little disappointed. I was hoping to get high enough score to apply to UCLA FEMBA, USC PM or any top 20 school, but unfortunately my score only allows for USC PM.

Thank you in advance for taking a look at my profile, if you have suggestions of other top tier schools that you think I would have a shot with or you have heard of admission success stories with low GPA please share. Any words of encouragement is greatly appreciated at this point.

Male
29 y/o
Asian
Southern California Local

10 years management experience in Health Care (7 years managing a Radiology Clinic/3 years in Health Care staffing/sales)

3 of those 10 years I owned a Import/export recycling company part-time.

I have 2 internet start ups in development this year. Projected launch date for both is summer of 2011.

I will definitely have a great letter or reference from the current President of my company, current clients and also a reference for a Physician at my previous company.

Extracurricular/Military/Volunteer work- active member of the State Military Reserve

California State University - BA in Management GPA 2.9

GMAT 590

MBA Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Depressed, Scored a 590 today. Profile eval. Please help! [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 11:49
Expert's post
Hi GMATISMYWITCH,

Have you considered taking the GMAT again? You seem very disappointed with your score; were you scoring higher in practice tests? There are a lot of great resources to help you improve your GMAT score.

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern

Re: Depressed, Scored a 590 today. Profile eval. Please help! [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 11:59
Thanks for your response Conrad/Stacy Blackman. This will be my 4th time taking the gmat in the last 4yrs. I want to avoid retaking if possible. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what they think of my current situation/profile and whether I have any hope of getting into a top school.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Re: Depressed, Scored a 590 today. Profile eval. Please help! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 10:11
GMATISMYWITCH wrote:
Thanks for your response Conrad/Stacy Blackman. This will be my 4th time taking the gmat in the last 4yrs. I want to avoid retaking if possible. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what they think of my current situation/profile and whether I have any hope of getting into a top school.

Have you taken a prep course? What were the breakdowns of your Verbal/Quant?

My advice to you is to go out tonight, have a few drinks, feel a bit sorry for yourself, and start studying again tomorrow. Sign up for a 6 or 7 week course and even maybe get a couple of hours of private tutoring. Study study study study and take the test again in 3 or 4 months. When I started studying myself, I was scoring 550-620 on practice tests and then once I took a course, my practice test scores bumped up to the 670 range and eventually I got a 650 on the test the first time. That's lower than I was hoping for, so I retook the course (36 hours over 2 weekends...brutal) and ended up with a 700. I also got 3 or 4 hours of private tutoring. It can be done!
Intern
Intern

Re: Depressed, Scored a 590 today. Profile eval. Please help! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 22:05
EChopeful12 wrote:
GMATISMYWITCH wrote:

Have you taken a prep course? What were the breakdowns of your Verbal/Quant?

My advice to you is to go out tonight, have a few drinks, feel a bit sorry for yourself, and start studying again tomorrow. Sign up for a 6 or 7 week course and even maybe get a couple of hours of private tutoring. Study study study study and take the test again in 3 or 4 months. When I started studying myself, I was scoring 550-620 on practice tests and then once I took a course, my practice test scores bumped up to the 670 range and eventually I got a 650 on the test the first time. That's lower than I was hoping for, so I retook the course (36 hours over 2 weekends...brutal) and ended up with a 700. I also got 3 or 4 hours of private tutoring. It can be done!

Thanks for the advice, I've been feeling sorry for myself ever since i took the GMAT PREP CAT and got a 440. 590 was actually a big surprise. On the MGMAT my breakdown was a 32q 41v, took about 5 practice test, GMAT PREP CAT I got a 22q 24v. The actual GMAT I got 37q 33v. Certainly I feel I can approve on Verbal.

What course did you take? Where did you go for private tutoring? I took the MGMAT TWICE!!! first time in 2008, i was working a new job and not very into it. Ended up with a 540. I retook the MGMAT last January, studied on and off the past year and finally studied really hard in December until now. Studied 7 days a week 3 hrs on work days 6-8 on weekends.
Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Re: Depressed, Scored a 590 today. Profile eval. Please help! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 04:48
I took the Veritas Prep course and found it to be really helpful, although pretty expensive. They give you about 14 books with a TON of practice problems. My teachers strongly recommended that we do all of the homework before class, which I also found really helpful because it helped me learn what I needed to focus on and what questions to ask in class.

The private tutoring definitely helped my verbal the most. I ended with a pretty even raw score but a less than ideal quant percentile (43 V/95%, 42 Q/67%) but that was good enough to get me a 700 so I can live with it. I think I got a 37 on the verbal section the first time I took it so those 6 points really helped my score. I came from a quant heavy econ undergrad so my quant section should have been much higher (it was about the same for both tests, I guess I suck at 8th grade algebra...), but I blame myself for not focusing on those parts more.
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Depressed, Scored a 590 today. Profile eval. Please help! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 11:19
Expert's post
Hi GMATISMYWITCH.

Hope the following is of help. These are thoughts for part time programs in LA because that is what it seems like you want.

590 is below average for UCLA FEMBA but that does not mean you shouldn't apply. The UCLA EMBA accepts GRE so that would be another option. Have you considered taking the GRE exam? Pepperdine is also an option.

EMBA programs focus more on work experience so if you can emphasize this in your application it may outweigh the lower scores. It sounds like you have pretty unique work experience.

I hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Re: Depressed, Scored a 590 today. Profile eval. Please help!   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2011, 11:19