Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

depresses

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

depresses [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2004, 02:51
hi
I took GMAT on 10/11 got a very poor score of 520. Quants part was much better than Verbal Part. I hardly scored any thing in verbal section. I am very disaapointed with my marks.

Can anyone help me out in improving my verbal scores?
My kaplan score was 630
PP score was 560

Is getting a good score in quants than verbal is a advantage?

Saurabh

SAURABH

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2004, 03:48
I understand that its kinda disappointing f you get a low score when you dont think that reflects your abilities. Couple of quick points though 630 in kaplan and 560 in PP (was it before reading official guide or after it) is a strange pair of results. I think you may want to do review both the test results and take some time to analyse the discrepancy.

Best bet on verbal is gmatclub.com. Number of SC's and CR's get discussed and will provide you the best opportunity to learn and share.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Thnx [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2004, 12:18
I have tried all books for GMAT. I even solved all tests. But there is much variations in my verbal scores. I can't understand where the probelem is. Please help me out with the stuff.

SAURABH

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2004, 12:38
saurabh, the first thing I would suggest you to do is go through the "best of verbal" forum. Go through every question there and see what the explanations are and do not worry if you get many of the questions there wrong; they are of higher difficulty level. Next, go through the OG (again if you already did) and analyze EACH question in excruciating detail. And I DO mean it. You cannot just do all questions in all books without understanding the concepts being tested. As I many times repeated, verbal concepts in prep books will teach you the basics like parallelism, verb tense/pronoun agreement, misplaced modifiers, idioms, etc., but it will NOT teach you second order things like clause vs phrases, parenthetical elements, ellipsis, run-on sentences, restrictive vs non-restrictive clauses, introductory modifiers, etc. There are MANY threads on second-order learning for SC in this forum, especially in the "best of verbal" forum.
As for CR, you should learn to recognize the different types of flaw patterns. By doing many of them and being able to explain why one reason is best and how each of the other reasons can be refuted, you will inevitably get better. This is the ONLY way to get better in verbal. Once you can be good enough to teach those concepts in your own words, try to take the GMAT again and I will guarantee you that the verbal score will be better.
Remember, there is no easy way. The ultimate result will depend on rigor of your study habits. Last but not least, participate in the discussions. There is no merit in getting an answer right. Instead, one should explain HOW he got it right.
Good luck and welcome to GMATclub.

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 06 Nov 2004, 12:38