Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Oxford Saïd School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink]
Mod update: I deleted all posts related to minor technical issues, since everyone involved agreed.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
Mod update: I deleted all posts related to minor technical issues, since everyone involved agreed.

great ... thanks for the immediate reply :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.06
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hey guys. congrats on your admits.
Can anyone tell me how long did it take for school to contact them? I mean for anything. reject,interview, admit?
but I haven't heard anything from the school and I'm kinda getting worried. I haven't even got a rejected or an interview invitation.
Is that a bad? should i be worried?
How long does it take to consider the files and move on to next level!? How much longer should I wait?

P.S. Has any of you gotten any financial aid, funding, loans, etc. from school? Did they tell you about it in your admission offer?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've read the post and I'm worried. Do you think i have a chance with this profie:

International, GMAT 660, GPA 3.06, Bachelor in finance, good extra curricular, 4+years in management consulting firm as a consultant + a few years part time.
(I saw the GMAT 770 and went nutz!)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
mehrabounr wrote:
I've read the post and I'm worried. Do you think i have a chance with this profie:

International, GMAT 660, GPA 3.06, Bachelor in finance, good extra curricular, 4+years in management consulting firm as a consultant + a few years part time.

No worries, look at my profile. :) I am also international and have 9 years of work experience. My GPA is a little higher than yours, but my GMAT is lower. I guess they look at the overall profile. GMAT is just one component - but it may become decisive in offering financial aid.
I have applied on March 22 and received confirmation that I will be interviewed next week. When did you apply?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
caramia81 wrote:
mehrabounr wrote:

No worries, look at my profile. :) I am also international and have 9 years of work experience. My GPA is a little higher than yours, but my GMAT is lower. I guess they look at the overall profile. GMAT is just one component - but it may become decisive in offering financial aid.
I have applied on March 22 and received confirmation that I will be interviewed next week. When did you apply?

It was in March before the deadline. I think March 13th. Been almost a month. i guess i should get worried if I don't get any invitation in next few days.
I really really want go to McGill.
Is this interview invitation any indication of Acceptance? some schools are like that. They say if you get an interview you're almost in. Is McGill like that?

Originally posted by mehrabounr on 14 Apr 2013, 04:22.
Last edited by mehrabounr on 14 Apr 2013, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
An issue that nobody raised here before is the concept of part- time work parallel to the course .The Desautels website site says that they do not recommend that students work along with the course ... but from the alumni 's experience is this actually possible , at least till the beginning of the internship ?

What do you think everybody ? I believe it can fit if number of hours per week was 5-6 maximum to afford time for studying and school extracurricular activities
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mehrabounr wrote:
It was in March before the deadline. I think March 13th. Been almost a month. i guess i should get worried if I don't get any invitation in next few days.
Is this interview invitation any indication of Acceptance? some schools are like that. They say if you get an interview you're almost in. Is McGill like that?

Not sure about whether the interview really means the next step of admissions, - but talking about application on March 13th: I have also submitted my primary application on March 12, but I had it complete (i had to send the scanned copies of some missing documents and IELTS score) on March 22. So, I guess you can email them asking about their decision. In my case - I had to email them and inquire about my status, because I received 2 offers with a very interesting financial aid package from US universities and I need to make a choice as soon as possible. :) No need to say that McGill is also my number 1 choice!!! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mehrabounr wrote:
caramia81 wrote:
mehrabounr wrote:

I don't think it's possible for anyone to know how much weight they put on the interview. But what would be the purpose of the interview if all interviewees are admitted? I was bombarded with questions during my interview and it really felt like they wanted to see if I was going to be a good fit in their program.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CarlMtl wrote:
mehrabounr wrote:

I know about 80% of domestic students interviewed (in person) are admitted. That number may vary for international students or phone interviews.

Interesting fact carl, what's your source about the 80%?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
temuod wrote:
Interesting fact carl, what's your source about the 80%?
Hearsay/consensus among current students.
Ducksworth wrote:
While I feel very strongly against working part-time, there is however an exception IMO. I think it could make sense if you are a career changer and by working a couple of hours every day you can improve your profile and get more experience. Unfortunately a "job" like this might not even come with money.
What relevant company would hire you to work a couple hours a day? Have you heard of any MC or IB/prop trading firm having done this in the past?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
What relevant company would hire you to work a couple hours a day? Have you heard of any MC or IB/prop trading firm having done this in the past?

I know at least two buy-side traders who started working about 10 hours per week, across 2 or 3 days. One was at Franklin Templeton, the other in a small hedge fund. Their jobs were to bring coffee initially, but quietly sit next to a trader just observing what was going on. Eventually, they would help closing books at the end of day. Not much it would seem, but it gave them great exposure. If at the end your CV says "assistant trader at xxx" it can make a massive difference. Very importantly, many of these trades happen very early in the morning so you can work there 6am-10am, for example, and be on time for your first class.
There are also a few MBA programs out there that have courses four days per week. If my memory doesn't trick me, I think Wharton, Stern and Yale do this. This is done on purpose so that students can spend a day working if they wish to do so.
Montreal can be one of the best places to find a job like this because of the high amount of buy-side firms.
Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up, DW. I think I`ll have to look into that...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CarlMtl wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:

I know at least two buy-side traders who started working about 10 hours per week, across 2 or 3 days. One was at Franklin Templeton, the other in a small hedge fund. Their jobs were to bring coffee initially, but quietly sit next to a trader just observing what was going on. Eventually, they would help closing books at the end of day. Not much it would seem, but it gave them great exposure. If at the end your CV says "assistant trader at xxx" it can make a massive difference. Very importantly, many of these trades happen very early in the morning so you can work there 6am-10am, for example, and be on time for your first class.
There are also a few MBA programs out there that have courses four days per week. If my memory doesn't trick me, I think Wharton, Stern and Yale do this. This is done on purpose so that students can spend a day working if they wish to do so.
Montreal can be one of the best places to find a job like this because of the high amount of buy-side firms.
Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up, DW. I think I`ll have to look into that...

That is quite interesting. I suppose you could do some cheap consultancy as well in your field of expertise. I know someone who used to do that
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have just seen that one of the AdCom directors checked my LinkedIn profile during the last 10 days.
Is it a good sign? anyone knows?
p.s. btw, my resume is in french there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="Ducksworth"
Good sign :) The AdCom officer thought "oh! I want to know more about this candidate".[/quote]
:thanks
Hope it really is so.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I believe so ,your application looked interesting to him/her .Amazingly I am planning to put the linkedin profile in my curriculum vitae but where ?In the contacts ?
caramia81 wrote:
I have just seen that one of the AdCom directors checked my LinkedIn profile during the last 10 days.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TheNona wrote:
I believe so ,your application looked interesting to him/her .Amazingly I am planning to put the linkedin profile in my curriculum vitae but where ?In the contacts ?
caramia81 wrote:

Posted from my mobile device

Nona, interesting thing is that i never indicated my LinkedIn profile anywhere: neither in application nor in my resume. That's why i was a bit surprised to see that AdCom made a background check just by browsing internet.
By the way, Fisher and Simon school AdCom staff have also visited my LinkedIn profile.
It is just a good point to remember for future - to be ready that AdCom may do some background check by different social networks,which you may have forgotten of being a member.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts