Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink]
Huh? Viewing a public profile is hardly an invasion of privacy.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:

How does the class size(75) of Desautels compare with other canadian b-schools which have class sizes of more than 300 ?
I found only 500 Desautels connections on LinkedIn as compared to others schools which have more than 10000.

Does it mean lack of networking and alumni support during and after MBA ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:

Posted from my mobile device

Agree.
Whatever it is, I don't mind this kind of invasion at all. I would do the same..hehe..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
devilsconviction wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:

How does the class size(75) of Desautels compare with other canadian b-schools which have class sizes of more than 300 ?
I found only 500 Desautels connections on LinkedIn as compared to others schools which have more than 10000.

You can find many more on Facebook
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
TheNona wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
caramia81 wrote:
It is just a good point to remember for future - to be ready that AdCom may do some background check by different social networks,which you may have forgotten of being a member.

Facebook is a particularly dangerous place. You definitely don't want MBA Admissions to see how wasted you were last Saturday. Of course, once you are trying to find a job, it will be a lot worse.

I believe linkedin could be checked because it is a professional network , but unless you specified links in your application - an action which can be treated as an implicit permission to check these - this would be a sort of hacking your privacy in my opinion

How is viewing a public professional profile an invasion of privacy? Admissions has a responsibility to the Desautels program, current students and alumni to do these kinds of checks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Anybody here is considering specializing in two concentrations ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
devilsconviction wrote:

The size of the network is highly overrated IMO. The quality of it is what really matters. For instance, it happens frequently that smaller programs have graduates who feel very passionate about their school and are always open to help younger people. You ideally want people like this, and even better if they are in the location and industry where you want to work. The advantage of having a very large network however is that by sheer probabilities you are likely to find a graduate that can guide you wherever and whatever you want to do. In sum, I think you need to figure out what you want to do and see if the network offered by Desautels can help you achieve that: as small as Desautels's network might be, it is the best you can find for a career in Montreal, for instance. On the opposite, say HBS or Wharton, have thousands of graduates but I wonder how many would be in Montreal.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the network can be very important to land your first job, but very soon after that it will become less relevant.

Can't agree more
Manager
Manager
Send PM
caramia81 wrote:
I have just seen that one of the AdCom directors checked my LinkedIn profile during the last 10 days.
Is it a good sign? anyone knows?
p.s. btw, my resume is in french there.

Here is another official evidence

https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/M ... -applicant
Oxford Saïd School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
I have to pay my reservation fee by April 30th;

Had been searching for financing options for my enrolment and I am getting a loans here in India at 15% (17% including starting fee) interest rate.

Does it make sense to go for eduction loan at this high interest rate? Should I try next year in schools which offer non consignor loan options or try for better scholarships.

Can an MBA student work while enrolled in McGill's MBA program. If yes, what component of the MBA cost can be covered by working.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
caramia81 wrote:
TheNona wrote:
"GMAT Test Results Apr 22, 2013 Last Received: Apr 26, 2013"

This shows on my Minerva account .. what does this mean ???

Means that they confirm officially that they received your current GMAT score. No worries, ma cherie. Ignore it and continue your preparation for next GMAT test. :)

Merci bien , Cherie :D How about you still no news? Anyway , I believe in an English proverb that says "No new good news" :)

Guys anybody can afford a couple of minutes to scan my resume and tell me if it was OK ? Thanks in advance :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
TheNona wrote:
I raised this issue here a couple of weeks ago. You can check the previous few pages of the topic.
I am considering - and this is one of the reasons for retaking the GMAT - working as a GMAT instructor . Many centers are close to the campus and you have flexibility in working hours. If you are a 99%ile you can apply to Manhattan or to a Canadian institute called Oxford. What I am 100% sure of is that Manhattan pay 100$/hour . .My opinion , a year from your life is much more expensive than any sum of money .I would go for my dream school even if I will overload myself financially for sometime.
Hope this helps .Wishing you all the best of luck :-D

Nona,

1. Are you confident that you will be able to improve your GMAT score enough to get a job as a GMAT instructor? If so, what is your secret this time around?
2. Could you explain what you mean by "My opinion , a year from your life is much more expensive than any sum of money"? Because I don`t understand.
3. Are you really 100% sure Manhattan GMAT pays $100/hr. You're not, like, 110% sure?
4. I would hesitate to encourage people to take on debt that they cannot or could not confidently service, why do you believe it a smart choice to "overload" yourself?
5. If you want an honest answer, your resume is not OK at the moment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
devilsconviction wrote:
Joining McGill :)

Big congrats!!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CarlMtl wrote:
TheNona wrote:
I raised this issue here a couple of weeks ago. You can check the previous few pages of the topic.
I am considering - and this is one of the reasons for retaking the GMAT - working as a GMAT instructor . Many centers are close to the campus and you have flexibility in working hours. If you are a 99%ile you can apply to Manhattan or to a Canadian institute called Oxford. What I am 100% sure of is that Manhattan pay 100$/hour . .My opinion , a year from your life is much more expensive than any sum of money .I would go for my dream school even if I will overload myself financially for sometime.
Hope this helps .Wishing you all the best of luck :-D

Nona,

1. Are you confident that you will be able to improve your GMAT score enough to get a job as a GMAT instructor? If so, what is your secret this time around?
2. Could you explain what you mean by "My opinion , a year from your life is much more expensive than any sum of money"? Because I don`t understand.
3. Are you really 100% sure Manhattan GMAT pays $100/hr. You're not, like, 110% sure?
4. I would hesitate to encourage people to take on debt that they cannot or could not confidently service, why do you believe it a smart choice to "overload" yourself?
5. If you want an honest answer, your resume is not OK at the moment.

1- Princeton Review targets a minimum of 640 ... which is not distant from my target frame , anyway I am still considering back up plans if this GMAT teaching option does not work.

2- My personal belief is that 365 days from a person's life are much more precious than any sum of money . If it were me , I would not wait till next year even if this would burden me financially for some time.

3- Yes , 120% :-D they mentioned this on their website : 100$ per working hour and 20$ for every hour of your training . Veritas also pay the same but they have a center in Toronto ONLY not in Montreal .i.e only online option would be available

4-for the sake of 3 letters on which my whole working experience depended : ROI = return of investment .It is all about the comparison between revenues and expenses : I would be "overloaded" for some time if I would earn more on the long run . I took several degrees thinking this way , and , most important , planned this way for every training I delivered and every account in my territory when I used to work in sales and it always proved worthwhile...at least relatively to my objectives and expectations.This was made me suggest the idea but certainly it all depends on his own choice and what he believes is suitable for him in the end .

5- I could not understand . could you please elaborate more ?

Originally posted by TheNona on 29 Apr 2013, 15:31.
Last edited by TheNona on 30 Apr 2013, 01:55, edited 9 times in total.
Oxford Saïd School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
aa2012 wrote:

Had been searching for financing options for my enrolment and I am getting a loans here in India at 15% (17% including starting fee) interest rate.

Does it make sense to go for eduction loan at this high interest rate? Should I try next year in schools which offer non consignor loan options or try for better scholarships.

Can an MBA student work while enrolled in McGill's MBA program. If yes, what component of the MBA cost can be covered by working.

I decided to decline the offer today, I am not comfortable in getting loan at 15 to 17% int rate..

Good luck to ppl joining the program
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aa2012 wrote:
aa2012 wrote:

I decided to decline the offer today, I am not comfortable in getting loan at 15 to 17% int rate..

Good luck to ppl joining the program

Good luck with whatever you choose . My advice is to start from now planning for the next step in order not to face the same situation again.What are the available options to fund an MBA ? what suits you best ? what is plan B ? and plan C? Above all , which schools will meet both criteria , financial and academic , for you ?

By the way my own back up plan for Mcgill is Concordia's John Molson .They are reasonable in cost and accept two classes a year : Fall and winter .So if you are interested in Montreal specifically you can consider this option as well .

Good luck and wishing you all the best . Keep us updated :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Caramia81.

Any update on your interview result?
Mine was also conducted on 19 April but still no update...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.06
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hey guys,
How long does it take for McGill to process an application?
This is said in their website :Admission decisions are usually rendered within four weeks following receipt of complete applications with all supporting documents.

I submitted my application in March, even if it was March 15th, it already has been 1.5month. They haven't even invited me for an interview. They haven't told me if my documents are not complete, or I've been rejected.

I've contacted school for 1000times, everytime J! says I'll talk to P! tommorrow then he goes and forgets all about it. He even told me he will talk to P to schedule my interview for tommorrow but i haven't heard form him for few days.

How long should I wait??
I think they may have decided and just stringing me along for fun!
I'm tired of waiting and getting no answers.
Do you know whom (else) I can contact to see about my application?

How long did it take for you guys to get an interview invitation and how long after that to heas about your result?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts