Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.06
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 May 2013, 14:30
MTRL & devilsconviction :
Thanks for the morale! (still working out the idioms)
I'm counting the days till that 2 weeks passes. 10 more days. Fingers crossed

Ducksworth :
When I said she laughed, I didn't mean like sarcastic. It was LOL, like I had told a joke. Well my answer and the situations i was telling her was kind of funny.

I just wanted to know if it's good or bad to make the interviewer laugh.
Our job interviews here are different (nobody cares about your life or behavior as long as you have a degree from a good school and/or few years of experience anywhere!) and I don't have much experience in interviews like schol interviews. So I just asked to see how it looks.
Is it like lightening the mood and making the conversation more friendly? Or it's like making a formal meeting go informal and it might be disrespectful? (I'm not worried, just asking to know for future)

(My other interviewer who laughed like this gave me a 40% discount! and 40days after saying I'm not coming, she's still trying to help and fit me into their program)
(If I get there I will tell you what she was laughing about. She asked : if I was a magician.....)

Anyway, hope to see you all in Montreal.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 09:31
mehrabounr wrote:
MTRL & devilsconviction :
Thanks for the morale! (still working out the idioms)
I'm counting the days till that 2 weeks passes. 10 more days. Fingers crossed

Ducksworth :
When I said she laughed, I didn't mean like sarcastic. It was LOL, like I had told a joke. Well my answer and the situations i was telling her was kind of funny.

I just wanted to know if it's good or bad to make the interviewer laugh.
Our job interviews here are different (nobody cares about your life or behavior as long as you have a degree from a good school and/or few years of experience anywhere!) and I don't have much experience in interviews like schol interviews. So I just asked to see how it looks.
Is it like lightening the mood and making the conversation more friendly? Or it's like making a formal meeting go informal and it might be disrespectful? (I'm not worried, just asking to know for future)

(My other interviewer who laughed like this gave me a 40% discount! and 40days after saying I'm not coming, she's still trying to help and fit me into their program)
(If I get there I will tell you what she was laughing about. She asked : if I was a magician.....)

Anyway, hope to see you all in Montreal.

In North America, I can say people can laugh at jokes during the interview. It is for lightening the mood and making the conversation more friendly. You will sort out automatically how interview feels by earning experience.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 48

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 09:37
Does anyone know how many candidates have been admitted to McGill for the class of 2015? I`ve heard rumours we`re about 50 so far and I know they`re aiming for a class of 75...

Another few weeks and admissions should be over, I imagine.

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 10:19
CarlMtl wrote:
Does anyone know how many candidates have been admitted to McGill for the class of 2015? I`ve heard rumours we`re about 50 so far and I know they`re aiming for a class of 75...

I wish jonathan would give us more info on the current status of admissions and the class profile so far. I'm interested in knowing how many countries are represented, percentage of international students, average gpa...
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 11:04
temuod wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:

I wish jonathan would give us more info on the current status of admissions and the class profile so far. I'm interested in knowing how many countries are represented, percentage of international students, average gpa...

I wish we had more info as well. I did learn that we have students from about 24 different countries this year. Considering we`re only 75 students, that`s an insane amount of diversity.

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 11:07
Why don't you guys start a Facebook page?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 48

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
Ducksworth wrote:
Why don't you guys start a Facebook page?

Already have, "MCGILL MBA CLASS 2015".

Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 11:23
CarlMtl wrote:
temuod wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:

I wish we had more info as well. I did learn that we have students from about 24 different countries this year. Considering we`re only 75 students, that`s an insane amount of diversity.

How did you learn about the the 24 nationalities? I remember jonathan mentioning hat we had 18 different nationalities but that was a while back. I really hope you're right!
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 11:29
temuod wrote:
How did you learn about the the 24 nationalities? I remember jonathan mentioning hat we had 18 different nationalities but that was a while back. I really hope you're right!
A couple of us organized a happy hour at Irish Embassy on Bishop street last Wednesday via the facebook page. About 10 of us were able to make it. A current student who is in the know spilled the beans.

Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 11:35
CarlMtl wrote:
temuod wrote:
A couple of us organized a happy hour at Irish Embassy on Bishop street last Wednesday via the facebook page. About 10 of us were able to make it. A current student who is in the know spilled the beans.

Well in that case, i definitely hope he's right. Diversity is important to me., i think it really improves the learning experience.
How was the gathering at irish embassy? Wish i was in montreal to attend.
Intern
Intern

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 11:48
temuod wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
temuod wrote:

Well in that case, i definitely hope he's right. Diversity is important to me., i think it really improves the learning experience.
How was the gathering at irish embassy? Wish i was in montreal to attend.

On April 4th, Jonathan told on the group that there are 18 nationalities. 22 was the record. So record is broken?
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 12:55
MTRL wrote:
On April 4th, Jonathan told on the group that there are 18 nationalities. 22 was the record. So record is broken?
Yes - record is broken.

Intern
Intern

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 13:07
CarlMtl wrote:
MTRL wrote:
Yes - record is broken.

Great! It will be great to be part of the diversity.
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 06:46
MTRL wrote:
Sorry guys, Jonathan updated the facebook page and it appears we are in fact at 22 nationalities presently.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 18:54
just received the admission email. I will arrive in Montreal next week and look forward to seeing you!
Intern
Intern

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 21:37
rala wrote:
just received the admission email. I will arrive in Montreal next week and look forward to seeing you!

Congrats Rala! What's your profile?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 23:41
This post received
KUDOS
MTRL wrote:
rala wrote:

Congrats Rala! What's your profile?

gmat:710, 4yrs w/e in auditing & retailing
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.06
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 10:26
How many students have they already admitted?
Face book page has 100members.
Isn't the class size about 70?

Do you guys have any information about "reapplying"?
I don't know what I can do to reapply to a school. My GPA won't change. My background and experience won't change till next year just add 1 more year in same firm and position (it's a small consulting firm and there is no room for promotion).
The points that I mentioned in my essays and reasons for mba, the school etc. won't change so it would be the same essays just in different wording (I think I perfected my essays so there's no room to do better)
I can take the GMAT again. that's the only thing I can think of.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do to strengthen my application? What can I do that would make a difference if I decide to reapply to a school (like McGill)?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 2

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
There are also people from class of 2014.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 181

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 16:45
At last ,and after 8 months of continuous effort , Nona is called for an interview :)

Posted from my mobile device Image

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants   [#permalink] 28 May 2013, 16:45