Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Send PM
Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
TheNona wrote:
same here ... seems we are in the same boat : recently landed immigrant . I just want to make sure : 3.6% per year means that if you borrow 10k to return them on 5 years then every year you would pay 2000$ +3.6%*2000 or 2000$+3.6%*10k ? forgive me if I seem a bit stupid , but education loans are not available in my country of origin so this whole story is totally vague to me .

The interest is compounded. Therefore assuming you pay $2000 at the end of every year and the interest increases to 4.5% in year 3, it is:
(((((10000*1.036-2000)*1.036-2000)*1.045-2000)*1.045-2000)*1.045-2000)*1.045-1386.94=0 --> payment will be complete in 6 years. You'll actually be making monthly payments, making the calculation more complicated, but you'll pay less interest. Unfortunately, we're not talking about a $10k loan.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.06
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
The Nona: Congrats on your admit.
Have fun everyone. I won't be joining McGill after all (BTW, at the end they offered me 18K scholarship).
I hope to see you all in some event or competition. Enjoy McGill, classes and the great company of your classmates
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [1]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
ok this is an interesting facebook I found about activities , news , campus hangouts...etc . But is it safe to sign in with the McGill ID as they demand ?

Campus tips:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/groupsa ... 9094592998
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
first post!

so i submitted my app last week. share your experiences guys, when are you planning to submit? in fact, what are Mcgill's deadlines. could not find any on the website.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Hi! Probably my first post ever!

I don't think they have deadlines. according to their website, admissions are rendered on a rolling basis, about 4 weeks after they get the whole material (probably more at this time of the year, with the holidays coming). Anyway, I wouldn't worry much about that, since you're submitting in December, so you're way ahead of most people (me included).

I'll apply to pretty much the same schools you're applying to, from what I can see from your profile. Have you made your mind about which one is your priority? I have some ideas, but would love to hear different opinions. Also, just out of curiosity, any reason why Canada if you're from the US? (I'm from Latin America and my reason for Canada is easier work permits).

Good luck with your app!

echelon99 wrote:
first post!

so i submitted my app last week. share your experiences guys, when are you planning to submit? in fact, what are Mcgill's deadlines. could not find any on the website.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cofre wrote:
Echelon,

It's because your profile says Location: United States (maybe you hadn't realized that until now? ;)

GPA will also be sort of an issue for me, but I have contacted admissions people from Schulich and Rotman and both schools encouraged me to apply.

As for schools: I'm finding it kind of hard to decide among Canadian schools. It's not like in the US where some schools (HBS, Wharton, Stanford) are obviously better than others. The rankings differ a lot, and personally I'm more inclined to Rotman, then Schulich, then McGill. They are all great schools, but the location to me will be very important, since I don't speak French either. If I were to sum up the pros and cons, they would be:

Rotman - pros: location, international reputation, good rankings; cons: tuition.
McGill - pros: international reputation, job placement rate, smaller program (I have the impression this could mean it's easier to get a job); cons: location, small network (the "other side" of a small program)
Schulich - pros: good rankings, location (not as good as Rotman, but still Toronto) and tuition; cons: York doesn't have great overall reputation.

If you plan to go to finance, I'd say Rotman would be the best choice. Yes, you're going to be just one more of half of the class, but then again the best opportunities might be there after all. That's just my opinion, though. I'll probably have a more informed one after I visit the schools. And just like you, scholarships will play an important role in my decision. All things equaled I'd go to Rotman, but I'd need a generous scholarship from them for that condition to be true (and no scholarships from the others).

Now, even more important than which school, what do you think it's gonna be like in the Canadian job market for foreigners like us? I contacted a girl from Rotman and she said it's actually hard to get a good job. A guy from Schulich was more optimistic and said that it's totally possible to get a good job on par with Canadian-born MBAs.

I agree with most points in your pros/cons list. I have the same concerns you have about the job market for foreigners. Even more so for myself, at least (I think) you'll have an easier time with accent similarities. Mine will really stand out.

If you go through businessweek profiles, each college has b/w 45-60% international students and their placement rates are in mid-80s (95+ for McGill) so unless the programs are flat out lying about their employment rates (which has been known to happen), it means some of the non-Canadians do get placed. Plus Canada is a much more diverse country than say Australia (where employers are extremely reluctant to give non PRs a job) and employment laws are much easier, so maybe it'll turn out ok? I do know that for international students looking to 'shift' Canada is the best opportunity, in relative terms. Europe and Aus are pretty much off the list and U.S. is a gamble, a gamble that seems to pays off very well though, if the placement rates of US unis are really accurate. Anyway that's what I'm going with, whether it works out or not, at least I made sure to give myself the best chance out there. Maybe 'good' jobs wont come easily, but a job is a job I guess. I've heard about PHDs and MBAs driving cabs and stocking shelves, but they don't have Canadian degrees. I hope at least a Canadian MBA will get us something better than that.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
p.s. are you actually plan on visiting the schools before applying? gonna fly out?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
echelon99 wrote:
p.s. are you actually plan on visiting the schools before applying? gonna fly out?

I am. I mean, I REALLY hope to get admitted to at least a couple of schools, and I don't think I'd be able to forgive myself if I felt I made the "wrong" choice of school (if there's even such a thing).

I also heard of guys with PhDs driving cabs, but yes, they were guys without a Canadian degree. I really hope we can get decent jobs having studied in Canada.

I do not rule out the US entirely, especially if I can get admitted to a strong program. Hiring foreigners in the US is a pain in the neck for companies, and friends of mine in really good MBAs (such as NYU) say that they act accordingly, meaning, they virtually don't hire at all (except for banks and consulting firms: they do hire foreigners, but the competition for these jobs is really intense, so you have to really stand out). Do you even consider any US school? Say, schools close to Canada, such as Ross, Johnson or Tuck? I talked to a Canadian from Johnson and she said that Canadian schools are really more in touch with the Canadian job market reality than any other US school, but there ARE some firms that hire there (especially banks). It's not such a huge thing though, and probably something you'll have to go after on your own. I'm applying to these US schools and I really wouldn't know what to do if I got admitted to them or to a Canadian one (except for Tuck - that'd be a no brainer for me).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Send PM
Hi there Guys and Gals,

First post ever for myself as well. I`m an Mtl native, applied in mid-December and have been invited to interview Friday. I`ll let you know what the decision is once I receive the yay or nay. Like a couple of you, student loans are a big factor for me.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Carl
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
echelon99 wrote:
TheNona wrote:
The 2012 brochure states that the application deadline from Canada is 1st of May and from outside (international students) is March 13th.I have booked my GMAT for Feb. the 3rd please wish me good luck :)

By the way did anybody check the student loan page on their website ?? Could not afford time to read it

Good luck!

Seeing your ug gpa, i see we're in the same boat. Hope you kock one out of the park with the gmat

thx a lot .. same to you :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TheNona wrote:
Olivieri wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
Rotman - pros: location, international reputation, good rankings; cons: tuition.
McGill - pros: international reputation, job placement rate, smaller program (I have the impression this could mean it's easier to get a job); cons: location, small network (the "other side" of a small program)
Schulich - pros: good rankings, location (not as good as Rotman, but still Toronto) and tuition; cons: York doesn't have great overall reputation.

I would say McGill's location is its greatest asset! IMO the best city in the continent.

I couldn`t agree more!

I am fonddddddddddddddddd of Montreal[/quote]

Nona,

When are you writing the GMAT? Why does McGill interest you? What part of the US are you from?

Carl
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Olivieri wrote:
echelon99 wrote:
Olivieri wrote:
Hi there Guys and Gals,

First post ever for myself as well. I`m an Mtl native, applied in mid-December and have been invited to interview Friday. I`ll let you know what the decision is once I receive the yay or nay. Like a couple of you, student loans are a big factor for me.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Carl

Hi Olivieri,

Congrats on the interview. Currents students in Canada have told me getting an invite to interview at a Canadian MBA is as good as getting an admit. So good luck and hope for the best, you are almost in!

Oddly enough, I submitted my application early december and still have not heard back. Wonder if that's a bad sign.....?

Hey echelon99,

I've heard that about McGill as well (interview as good as in), but I'm preparing for a solid interview none the less.

Where did you do your undergrad? Work experience? Your GMAT is right on point with the average at McGill last year, so your chances are probably pretty good. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Carl

Hey Carl,

I was born in Pakistan, studied and finished my degree in Malaysia (marketing & management( and am now working as a strategy consultant for a manufacturing firm in Sri Lanka. My WE is on the low side (will have 2 years by aug 2013) but have made significant impacts in the organization and have been promoted twice. Living, studying, working in 3 countries was welcomed by McGill in the beginner's stages, McGill tends to concentrate on international experience. I hope to hear something by tonight or early next week.

Although I'm heading off to Singapore for some meetings tomorrow. What was the time gap b/w your invite for interview and you actual interview date?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
echelon99,

Sounds like a good story. During an open house, I was told most accepts have 3 to 6 yrs work experience - if there is an issue it would be there, but I would stay positive for now if I were you. I think the essays are your oppportunity to sell yourself, so the application might hinge on just how good your essays are.

For me, there were only 2 days between the invite date and actual interview, but I`m sure that's only because I`m local and they were flexible with dates.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Olivieri wrote:
echelon99,

Sounds like a good story. During an open house, I was told most accepts have 3 to 6 yrs work experience - if there is an issue it would be there, but I would stay positive for now if I were you. I think the essays are your oppportunity to sell yourself, so the application might hinge on just how good your essays are.

For me, there were only 2 days between the invite date and actual interview, but I`m sure that's only because I`m local and they were flexible with dates.

Your right Carl,

that is what I was scared of as well. The bweek profile for McGill shows that 80% of the last year's admit had more than 30 months work exp. When I originally connected with Jonathan, I told him about the 2 year WE issue, he seemed to be ok with it then and encourage me to apply, although he never addressed the issue. I did do my best with the essays, hope it was good enough.

Pina said they should be getting back to me by the end of this week.

Nothing has come in yet.

p.s. my application status in the minerva account is still 'Ready for Review'. Does it ever change to something like 'Review in progress' or something?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
btw, Carl, here you go

desautels-september-2011-intake-105893.html

if you scroll down a bit, you can read about an accepted applicant's interview experience and check out the questions. all the best.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
temuod wrote:
Hey Guys,

I applied in early November and was admitted to the program early December. If you have any questions about the interview or application process please let me know !

congrats man!

that's a very decent turnaround.

i submitted mine early dec. still waiting to hear back.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I'm sure you're going to hear from them real soon. Don't forget that the admission's office was closed for the holidays.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts