Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 07:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Desperate need of Help in AWA Section-Please please help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Desperate need of Help in AWA Section-Please please help [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 06:19
Hi All Gmat Clubers,

My name is Hari. I am preparing for my Gmat exam which is scheduled on 8 Jan 2011.Had done with my gmat basics and now had taken 5 mock tests(Kaplan1-740, Kaplan2-730, Mgmat1-740, gmatprep1-770, powerprep1-790). I am aiming for atleast 750+ in actual gmat.

I am having some issues with AWA section since I am not good when it comes to writing even though I am very good in speaking. I went through the AWA topics and I am able to deal with quite a few topics but I am having some issues with some AWA topics as I am not able to think more than 1 idea when it comes to these topics.

Actually I work in an IT company. I am into a development project which has 12 Jan as go-live date. So when my team was testing the final product few days back we ran into lot of glitches which we are trying to fix. As a result I am forced to work with my team for 14-15 hours even on saturday and Sunday. As as a result I am not devote much time to AWA section which I believe is my weak section.

Moreover this is the time for year end appraisal. If I take leave when the project is in such a critical state it is going to affect my appraisal which inturn is going to affect my promotion early next year. So I am not able to take leave.

I am getting my references from my previous supervisors not from the current supervisor. In the current project no one is aware that I am planning for an MBA. My current supervisor is planning to send me onsite sometime around March mid 2011 with now visa and other procedures being complete. But since I want the keep things (my MBA dream) under wraps without anyone in the current team being aware of it I am unable to access sites pertaining to AWA Q’s. And also the universities that are applying to have a application deadline as 10 Jan 2011. So I am forced to take Gmat before that deadline as I rely on few scholarships which has Jan end 2011 as the deadline.

Infact I believe I don’t have time to take one more full length mock before my actual gmat even though there are few days left due to very hectic work schedule.

As I am aiming for the top 10 schools I fear that low AWA score will affect my chances hard despite a good GMAT score.

So I request/appeal to all gmat club toppers to please please provide your valuable inputs in the form of few ideas pertaining to some topics which I am about to list.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1856 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Desperate need of Help in AWA Section-Please please help [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 06:50
Expert's post
Welcome aboard!

Here is an awesome post about how to succeed in AWA section. Must read!
how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: Desperate need of Help in AWA Section-Please please help [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 07:51
For the AWA section, make your own template like first paragraph will be a brief intro,second will be pros/cons etc.. This will ease pressure off you on the test day. The link provided by 'walker' above is awesome. Follow the steps in the post and practise a couple of essays and you should be good to go. If you are good at spoken English,then the essay will also come easily to you. Just use correct structure and grammar.
Good Luck
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1416 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Desperate need of Help in AWA Section-Please please help [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 22:34
If you are scoring in the 740-770 ranges in the MGMAT and GMAT Prep tests, I believe your grammar is pretty top notch. Just go in with a basic outline of things in your head. The argument WILL be flawed. When you read the question, treat it like a CR question. Think of at least 2-3 flaws in the reasoning, or points to weaken it. Then you can build on that. Introduction + 2-3 paragraphs per point + Conclusion = AWA done.

For a more detailed template, refer to Chineseburned's guide, to which Walker provided the link.

For the issue argument, same thing. Introduction + 2-3 paragraphs depending on the points + Conclusion.

If you get a 4.5 or more on your AWA, the schools probably won't take a second look at it. In contrast, if you end up with a 750 on your GMAT and a 2 on your AWA, the schools will have reasons to believe that your essays were fabricated by someone else. Just go through the guide and you should be good. Good luck.
Re: Desperate need of Help in AWA Section-Please please help   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2010, 22:34