Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2016, 17:26
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Desperate plea for help with Verbal Section

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Desperate plea for help with Verbal Section [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2016, 09:10
Hi

I took GMAT in Sep'15 and scored a 650 (I must admit I was not well prepared).

In my earlier attempt and the mocks I took, I scored a consistent 46-48 in Quant but was stuck at 33-36 in Verbal.

I find CR to be logical and sail through it but SC & RC give me chills and usually because of this fear I end up screwing Verbal Section.

Request if someone can guide me on how to enhance my Verbal Score and if there is any particular course that I should give a shot. I am a working individual and can devote 2 hours on weekdays and 6 hours during the weekend, i.e. around 20-25 hours/week.

In Anticipation
Ruchika
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 2646 [0], given: 97

Re: Desperate plea for help with Verbal Section [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2016, 09:46
ruchi23 wrote:
Hi

In my earlier attempt and the mocks I took, I scored a consistent 46-48 in Quant but was stuck at 33-36 in Verbal.

I find CR to be logical and sail through it but SC & RC give me chills and usually because of this fear I end up screwing Verbal Section.

Request if someone can guide me on how to enhance my Verbal Score and if there is any particular course that I should give a shot. I am a working individual and can devote 2 hours on weekdays and 6 hours during the weekend, i.e. around 20-25 hours/week.

In Anticipation
Ruchika

Hi,
Firstly, it is very important that you do not lose focus on Quant while putting entire emphasis on Verbal. Moving Quant another point or two may help your overall score..

Since you ask for suggestions on improvement in Verbal, don't go blindly on reviews or suggestions. More than wastage of money, it is wastage of time if a course taken in a hurry. A particular course may have supposedly suited someone, as claimed by that person, but may not suit you..
Also look at the standard of instructor and their replies on this and other forum to know of the quality of institutes. the online instructors must be the better ones as they represent/showcase their institutes here. Someone who cannot answer queries in forum properly cannot ensure that you learn anything more than what he/she knows.

what is your present status on SC and RC- which material have you used till now and how much are you devoting to these two topics.
Have you been making error logs and what topics you find difficult in SC..

Regards,
Chetan

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2016, 10:09
chetan2u wrote:
ruchi23 wrote:
Hi

In Anticipation
Ruchika

Hi,
Firstly, it is very important that you do not lose focus on Quant while putting entire emphasis on Verbal. Moving Quant another point or two may help your overall score..

Since you ask for suggestions on improvement in Verbal, don't go blindly on reviews or suggestions. More than wastage of money, it is wastage of time if a course taken in a hurry. A particular course may have supposedly suited someone, as claimed by that person, but may not suit you..
Also look at the standard of instructor and their replies on this and other forum to know of the quality of institutes. the online instructors must be the better ones as they represent/showcase their institutes here. Someone who cannot answer queries in forum properly cannot ensure that you learn anything more than what he/she knows.

what is your present status on SC and RC- which material have you used till now and how much are you devoting to these two topics.
Have you been making error logs and what topics you find difficult in SC..

Regards,
Chetan

Hi Chetan

Thanks for the instant revert.

I could gather tips on Quant on this forum and I plan to practice 20-25 sums on a daily basis with emphasis on certain topics like inequality and geometry which are not my strength.

Present status on SC - Read through Aristotle and going through Manhattan SC Guide - I feel lost after awhile and lose interest.
Present status on RC - Nothing to report since I have not followed any particular strategy for this.

Have not maintained error logs.

Materials in my possession:
1) Official Guide 2015
2) Manhattan GMAT Study guides
3) Aristotle SC Grail
4) KAPLAN Premier
5) KAPLAN 800

Also, can you please suggest if I should solve Official Guide - Verbal along with Official Guide 2015 ?

Thanks !
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 313

Kudos [?]: 2131 [0], given: 161

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2016, 10:26
Hi Ruchika,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, I'd like to know a bit more about your past studies, current studies and timeline/goals:

1) How long did you study before you took your first GMAT?
2) Since you took that GMAT over 7 months ago, what studying have you done SINCE you took the GMAT?

3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests

60-point improvement guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2016, 10:55
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Ruchika,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, I'd like to know a bit more about your past studies, current studies and timeline/goals:

1) How long did you study before you took your first GMAT?
2) Since you took that GMAT over 7 months ago, what studying have you done SINCE you took the GMAT?

3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich

Hi Rich

Thanks for such prompt response!

1) How long did you study before you took your first GMAT? - Around a month, I lose interest easily in SC & RC.
2) Since you took that GMAT over 7 months ago, what studying have you done SINCE you took the GMAT? - Have started preparing since last week and revising basics as of now.
3) What is your goal score? - Target Range : 710 - 730
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT? Mid July
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School? By Sep end.

Much Appreciation.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 313

Kudos [?]: 2131 [0], given: 161

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2016, 11:13
Hi Ruchika,

With a planned Test Date in mid-July, you have plenty of time to continue studying and improve. Since it's been some time since you've taken a FULL-LENGTH CAT, it would be helpful to get a sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses. As such, I suggest that you take a new CAT soon (perhaps this weekend). Make sure to take the ENTIRE CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) and take it in as realistic and 'test-like' a fashion as possible. Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can talk through your study plan.

Rich

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests

60-point improvement guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Director
Director
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2016, 10:19
ruchi23 wrote:
SC & RC give me chills

Hi Ruchika! since you mention SC as your concern area, thought I would mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: Desperate plea for help with Verbal Section   [#permalink] 01 May 2016, 10:19