Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

desperately in need of advice for picking the right school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

desperately in need of advice for picking the right school [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2009, 04:24
I apologize in advance as I might be posting this in the wrong place. :?:
Anyhow, I'm in desperate need of advice for choosing the right business school to apply to. We all agree that we only have one chance in a life time to attend a MBA

I have shortlisted the following based on: my budget (cost of tuition, all should be under 30k€), my gmat, my work experience and my overall profile:

CEIBS (Shanghai)
NUS (Singapore)
Nanyang (singapore)
Rotterdam Erasmus (Netherlands)
Melbourne Business School MBS (australia)
Australian Graduate School of Management AGSM (australia)
EADA (spain)
Brandeis IBS (US)
University of Alberta (Canada)

I'm quite aware that the only reputable school ranked among the top tier in my list is CEIBS :!: . But unfortunately they appear to have the highest average gmat among their students (I only managed to obtain a meager 660, btw is this too low? :roll: :cry: ). However, given the fact that I am a foreign born chinese, it would be nice to get a grasp of my heritage. On the other hand my mandarin is quite rusty, I can speak it fluently but I'm hopeless at writing or reading. My understanding is that CEIBS offers a good quality programme, however, this would be overwhelmingly China-centric, so it would be pointless if i did not manage to improve my mandarin during the MBA (which cannot be taken as granted as I have been taking chinese class ever since I was a kid to no avail), as I would have little chances of finding any good jobs thereafter.

Now my choice should be based upon the schools tuition fees (as my only source of funding will be my savings), the return on investment, therefore the value for money of the programme, and lastly but not least, the employment opportunities the degree would open up.....you probably will be thinking "duh!??!?". :shock:

I have been working in the corporate banking industry for over 3 years now (compliance and operational risk depts), and as the sector is going through an unprecedented crisis, I do not forsee any likelyhood in career advancements in the near future. At least not in my firm, as I am likely to be made redundant in the "simplification process"..(I probably should not metion this in my application right).

This all probably makes little sense to you as the range of universities I have listed is so broad, both in terms of geography and programmes, but I never really considered studying for an MBA as an option before, and this decision only came to me a couple of months ago, so sorry if I seem completely clueless.

One last thing, I'm an EU citizen so working visa shouldn't be an issue for job hunting after my MBA, provided i decided to stick to the old continent. However this appears to be a reason for concern when considering the programmes offered by American Canadian and Australian schools... as I would like to find a job where I graduate.
Back to us, if you have attended or have any experience regarding the b schools mentioned above, I would be extremely thankful if you could share with me your feedback and considerations, and perhaps provide me with your view on what would be the right choice to make in my shoes.
As this is such an important decision to make and a very expensive investment, I really wouldn't want to make the wrong choice. once again, thanks sooo much for providing me with any info!!!!! :wink:

Last edited by jcaitsith on 26 Feb 2009, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: desperately in need of advice for picking the right school [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2009, 06:00
really desperate.... please, :roll: any feedback is warmly encouraged!!! thanks in advance!!!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: desperately in need of advice for picking the right school [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2009, 06:12
jcaitsith wrote:
really desperate.... please, :roll: any feedback is warmly encouraged!!! thanks in advance!!!

Many of us aren't really familiar with most of the schools that you listed.

However, I am vaguely familiar with Brandeis IBS. I am not sure your work background or undergrad GPA, but 660 GMAT should easily get you in if it was GMAT alone.

Brandeis IBS is really a 2nd or 3rd tier bschool in US. Competition is not fierce as top US or European bschools. With average GPA (US equivalent of 3.2 and above), decent WE (3 yrs and above) and 660 GMAT, I would say you have a very good shot to get in.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: desperately in need of advice for picking the right school [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2009, 06:31
you may consider Queens canada. It fits in your budget and GMAT and WE profile.

thnks,
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 07-31-2012

Re: desperately in need of advice for picking the right school [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 01:33
Can you help me with the same question, where shall i find the best b school in India, Chennai location, i came through below schools in G Search
National Management B School how good the school in City, what would be the over all rating when compared with other B Schools. Thanks
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 07-31-2012

Re: desperately in need of advice for picking the right school [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 01:57
i too with a little confusion in selecting right B School for my carrier in India, Chennai, does any of the site provides the rating of B School, so that is my helpful to pick the right school, can any one here giv your review about National Management B School , this school is very near to my house and suggest me this school in ranking list
Re: desperately in need of advice for picking the right school   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2012, 01:57