Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 12:52
Hello,

My scheduled GMAT exam is at the end of this month on the 28th. However, I am no where near where I want to score!!
My ideal score is to shoot for the 85-90% percentile, yet, on my most recent practice tests, I have scored the following:

Veritas 620 (Q40, V37)
MGMAT 600 (Q43,V30)

I am primarily rushed to take the GMAT because I would like to apply for a specialized graduate program (MAcc) and the school's deadline is 3/31, but since it is rolling admission, I want to apply at least a month before the deadline.
What are some of the best ways to see an improvement in a 3 week time span? I am currently a full-time undergrad and I also work part-time at an accounting office. I'm looking for the more time efficient way to study! Any advice would be extremely helpful!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1070

Kudos [?]: 4773 [0], given: 163

Re: DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 00:33
Expert's post
bbmf wrote:
Hello,

My scheduled GMAT exam is at the end of this month on the 28th. However, I am no where near where I want to score!!
My ideal score is to shoot for the 85-90% percentile, yet, on my most recent practice tests, I have scored the following:

Veritas 620 (Q40, V37)
MGMAT 600 (Q43,V30)

I am primarily rushed to take the GMAT because I would like to apply for a specialized graduate program (MAcc) and the school's deadline is 3/31, but since it is rolling admission, I want to apply at least a month before the deadline.
What are some of the best ways to see an improvement in a 3 week time span? I am currently a full-time undergrad and I also work part-time at an accounting office. I'm looking for the more time efficient way to study! Any advice would be extremely helpful!

First of all, prioritize the topics.

Quant - Some topics have heavy weightage e.g. Number properties and Algebra. Ensure you are confident in these two. Then focus on Arithmetic (TSD, Work, ratios, mixtures etc) and Geometry. Thereafter, if you have time, work on Stats and Probability. I think your concepts of most of the topics are already in place so focus on advanced applications. If a particular topic is keeping you down, work on that first and then take up the rest. Make most efficient use of the available time.

Verbal - Again, is there a specific question type that is pulling your score down? Find out where you are making maximum mistakes. Work on that area first. We can offer you more directed advice and strategies if you let us know your strengths and weaknesses.

Self study is an extremely rewarding but slow process. The 'aha' moments are slow to come by but when they do, you don't forget them. That said, if you have just 3 weeks and you are studying as well as working (phew!), consider taking a weekend online course (Veritas has a two back-to-back Saturdays course where students meet to discuss strategies) or hiring a private tutor (for a personalized study plan suited to your requirements). These two options make things fall in place quickly and neatly.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 10

Re: DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 06:35
This post received
KUDOS
I am a bit concerned about your verbal score difference... 30 and 37 is a HUGE range. Also, your effort may be best served to focus on verbal. For example if you have a 37v and 43Q your score is 660... not too shabby. However, say you average out between your two verbal scores and get a V34 and keep the Q43 your score now is 640. At the same time say your V34 is paired up with a Q46 for a total score of 660... you will note that you are already scoring that with your above V of 37... additionally... the quant 45 is very difficult to overcome in a short span.

Not implying that you shouldnt study but with 4 weeks... be strategic about it. Kick the verbal into high gear as it yields a higher score due to the lack of high verbal scores.

For math, do you know what your weak points are? As a matter of fact you should know all your weak points. Identify them and revisit those concepts and focus on practice questions with that content alone. Make a list. Study for 2 weeks. Retake another practice exam in 2 weeks and establish another baseline. See which items on your list are no longer weak points (or add new weak links... hope you dont have to). Repeat the process after a week of studying.

I hope this helps

Reward wisdom with kudos

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 14:13
Thanks for the helpful responses!

@VeritasPrepKarishma:
I wish I had the money to take more classes or hire a tutor. :cry:
Unfortunately, I have to use that money to pay for all these application fees.
Number properties is definitely in one of my top 3 weaknesses in Quant so I will be definitely focusing more on that.

@wallstreetbarbie:
About a month ago, I took a practice GMAT from Kaplan and my verbal was a 36 and my quant was around 32 or 33.
My strategy was to study only my weaknesses in quant for the first (this) week, then verbal for the next, and finally, review both sections a week prior to the test.

I have 5 practice tests left. 3 from MGMAT and 2 from GMAT Prep. When do you think I should take the GMAT Prep since that would give me the most accurate score I should be expecting on test day?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1070

Kudos [?]: 4773 [1] , given: 163

Re: DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 01:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bbmf wrote:

I have 5 practice tests left. 3 from MGMAT and 2 from GMAT Prep. When do you think I should take the GMAT Prep since that would give me the most accurate score I should be expecting on test day?

You take practice tests to test whether you know what you are supposed to know and to figure out which areas need more attention. GMAT prep test also gives you an idea of where you stand.

Take one after a week of rigorous study (focus on the weak areas). It will tell you where you stand and where you need to focus. Take the second one after another week. You will still have a week to work on the kinks. No point waiting to take the second one 2 days before your test if you are not willing to postpone the exam date. You can't do much in two days even if it tells you what you need to work on, and anyway, another two days and you would know exactly where you stand so it's just a waste of time and energy. Also, a disappointing score two days before the actual test can affect your confidence. (A very good score can up your morale but can also make you overconfident.)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 06:45
Take the GMAT Prep test ASAP... this will gauge a most accurate score. Then after you have reviewed for 2 weeks take another one. The software comes with a set of 2. One drawback is that the software does not provide an analysis of the score so you will need to do that yourself.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 634 [0], given: 6

Re: DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 09:36
Expert's post
I agree that the verbal 37 vs 30 is a big difference. It may translate to a shocking score on the actual exam if you add on anxiety/panic during the real exam.

Prep is certainly expensive when each application requires a fee. Certainly be wise if you spend any money. To see the best score improvement from where you are, keep doing what you are doing. If there's a particular section where you really don't have any strategy going into the question (you just blindly start answering the question) - seek some help on that particular section. You should be able to get targeted advice for an affordable price.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP!!!   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2012, 09:36