Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Desperately in need of some advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Desperately in need of some advice [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 22:58
Hello to all. I have a request to those who have already gone through the whole gmat experience. Basically, I feel like I hit a wall and would like to ask for advice.

I've been studying for two months now, concentrating on problem solving for about a month, and I can't seem to make real progress. Don't get me wrong, I get better and I do some problems easier but I feel like I'm far from ready still. I finished Princeton Review, Kaplan Review, just went through math on OG and am doing Kaplan 800 right now. I can do most of the problems without much trouble and I thought I was OK but I just took the MGMAT test 1 on this site and I did absolutely horribly! I feel like it's about time for me to move on to other sections but if this test is anything to go by, I have a long way to go on PS and I haven't even started DS yet!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Anything at all.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 25

Re: Desperately in need of some advice [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 23:24
Wow, it would be great to have practiced as much as you have before i give the test.

Anyways, what did you get wrong on the test?
Did you have issues completing the problems in time or were you unable to solve the problems?

You can start using an error log to understand your weak areas.
Refer this post: all-about-the-error-log-11754.html

If its a time issue, you need to practice solving PS problems using a timer.
gmat-timer-56014.html?highlight=ml505

Hope this helps.

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 498 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Desperately in need of some advice [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 04:09
boysangur wrote:
Hello to all. I have a request to those who have already gone through the whole gmat experience. Basically, I feel like I hit a wall and would like to ask for advice.

I've been studying for two months now, concentrating on problem solving for about a month, and I can't seem to make real progress. Don't get me wrong, I get better and I do some problems easier but I feel like I'm far from ready still. I finished Princeton Review, Kaplan Review, just went through math on OG and am doing Kaplan 800 right now. I can do most of the problems without much trouble and I thought I was OK but I just took the MGMAT test 1 on this site and I did absolutely horribly! I feel like it's about time for me to move on to other sections but if this test is anything to go by, I have a long way to go on PS and I haven't even started DS yet!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Anything at all.

Hi boysangur, welcome to gmat club!

How have you taken MGMAT test on this site? I think you mean the test on MGMAT site. Any how, I will ask you to take a free CAT by MGMAT. Just see how much you score. Then draft a strategy. Look at this thread
gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

I think you need MGMAT or Veritas complete set of books. You can analyze the best option here
best-gmat-books-77703.html

If you think that CAT is a big problem for you & your concepts are excellent, then you can practice a number of CATs. This link will help you decide
all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

Just let us know how can we be of any help. Best of luck!!

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 498 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Desperately in need of some advice [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 04:15
& one more point. Do use the tag list function on the forum to search for ultimate DS & PS questions. This will help you a lot.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Desperately in need of some advice [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 05:14
have you used error logs and mgmat books?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: Desperately in need of some advice [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 09:29
MGMAT books esp Number properties book is highly recommended.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Desperately in need of some advice [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 09:49
yeah the mgmat books definitely helps as well as making sure what your errors are.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern

Re: Desperately in need of some advice [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 15:31
Thanks for your replies, everyone. I was talking about MGMAT Challenge Set 1.

As far as what gave me problems, I guess, everything. When I saw most questions, I had no idea what to do but then when I looked at explanations, they made perfect sense.

I see everyone recommend MGMAT books but I already got four books and that's more than a lot of 700+ people seem to get so I don't feel like they will help me that much. Maybe I should cave in though.
Intern
Intern

Re: Desperately in need of some advice [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 15:46
Hi guys
I had the same issue. I took GMAT very lightly and I ended up in getting 290 score. I was to careless as I was a business maths students. Unfortunately, its been 7 years ever since I touched this subject though I scored 190 out of 200. I realized that I am in an important phase of my life and it requires lot of efforts and dedication.

I realized it only after talking to folks here in this club. Thanks to everyone.

I downloaded the error log and working on it. I did my first test with og today to see where I stand!

I have ordered MGMAT, verbal, Quant review on Amazon and I also have 12th OG with me.

Can someone tell me where should I start from?

I need a good study plan for two months. Pls help me.

Thanks
Sri
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 32

Re: Desperately in need of some advice [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 15:49
The entire MGMAT set is pretty cheap if you buy it together. It's a lot cheaper than buying them individually. You will also need OG 12, and you should get the Official Quant 2nd edition also. Work through all the MGMAT guides and do the corresponding problems in OG 12 and Quant 2nd. Your score should improve a lot.
Intern
Intern

Re: Desperately in need of some advice [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 15:52
I am not how to approach this. I have all the books in hand now. Should I go for some classes or Online courses or study MGMAT and other overviews before touching OG 12 or any other way?

Please advise me
Intern
Intern

Re: Desperately in need of some advice [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 15:54
Please tell me the right approach. step by step! Please!!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 32

Re: Desperately in need of some advice [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 15:56
sivsrinivas wrote:
I am not how to approach this. I have all the books in hand now. Should I go for some classes or Online courses or study MGMAT and other overviews before touching OG 12 or any other way?

Please advise me

Each chapter in the MGMAT books have 10-15 problems. You should learn to work them after reading the chapter. After that they have roughly 2-10 problems in OG 12 and Quant 2nd to work. Then there is also an "advanced" chapter of each chapter, and repeat the process. It is time consuming, but a great way to learn the basics and learn GMAT style questions at the same time. I wouldn't put off working OG 12.
Re: Desperately in need of some advice   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2010, 15:56