Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Desperately need help and Directions in Verbal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Desperately need help and Directions in Verbal [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2012, 20:51
Hi Experts,
I have taken my GMAT 3 times and here are the scores
GMAT 1: Dec 31, 2007 570 (Q44, V 25)
GMAT 2: Dec 21, 2009 590 (Q48, V 23)
GMAT 3: Feb 09, 2012 600 (Q48, V 25)

Honestly speaking I donot know what happened in the first two tests. I know that I would have to justify for the time gaps between the tests and it will have a negative impact on my application but there were some things that i could not avoid at that point of time, and GMAT took a back-seat.
Anyways I will talk about my latest test preparation and I would be honest with myself and would like to have your expert opinions, and also I would talk only about verbal, as this is the section that is pulling me down. I started my prepration in Sep 2011, and took my Exam on Feb9 2012, i.e. around 4+ months , Initially I was preparing on and off prepration and from Dec onwards my prep became more focussed and intense. GMAT experts, please do not tell me to give me a second thought before I attempt for the 4th time, because I believe I can make it and as my Mocks will also tell the same thing. and I am determined to reach there.

Books Used:: Manhattan SC, Power Score CR Bible, OG 12 and OG review (Although I have all OG 10, 11, 12, I mainly used OG 12)
For RC: Read some theory from internet and tried to apply them. RC99 - did 20 passages.
Maths: Again no specific Books, mainly from internet, and I had some old notes. GMATClub test to some extent.
Other Materials: GMATPREP SC, GMATPREP CR, Manhattan Tests, GMATPREP Tests

SC Preparation :: After taking e-Gmat, course I was more confident. However, the percentage vary when I practice SC alone (timed say 10-15 qns )from OG and in the simulated exam. My accuracy rate was 90-95% but it dropped down to 60-65 % in the mocks. One reason could be I was familiar with the sentences in the OG and GMATPREP SC and hence a higher accuracy, and another reason could be that I am not able to handle the Cr ans RC pressure in the mocks and my accuracy drops. Although I tend to complete the SC within 1 -1.5 minutes, but in practice I timed myself for 2 minutes and this could be another reason that I do miserable in verbal, as I am not able to steal time for qnsin other section. One important thing to answer is that Do I had a strategy to attend the Sc qns ? the answer is partially yes. In the mocks I tried to follow the strategy (undrstand the meaning, break into clause etc.) but that it was not very consistent.
What Do I intend to Do This time:: I have a belief that SC wont be a trouble for me in the exam, specially after the e-GMAT course (I am more confident now), I have to work on some little-nitigrities such as, complete within 1- 1.5 minutes. My next steps:
1. Go throughly once again the Manhattan SC guide, and e-Gmat course. Do the OG qns after completing specific topics.
2. Practice using GMATPREP SC qns: Main focus is to complete it within 1-1.5 minutes.

CR Preparation :: Started with Power Score Bible, and left it in between after reading the Premise/conclusion, Inference, strengther, Weaken chapters. I shifted to e-Gmat CR course, there also I didnot complete it, Did the Stregnther/Weaken/Inference sections mainly. Than started to practice CR. I tried to do the LSAT CRs , but later shifted to GMATPREP CR. Some important qns to answer
Do I know the CR concepts clearly and comfortably: Not Completely. (I understood the concept for strengthen/assumption/weaken.)
Am I able to apply the concepts : Partially yes.
Did I have a strategy for each type of qns: No.

What do I intend to do this time:
1. Go through the CR bible and e-gmat course, and solve OG qns after completing a certain topic (without the timer) with a strategy for each qns.
2. Approach with a strategy: a) Read the qns first.
b) write down the conclusion/premise
c) paraphrase the Stimulus.
d) pre-thinking
d) paraphrase the answer

3. start practicing with timed conditioned. and complete within 2 mnts.
4. Practice question from Grockit and gmatclub.
RC Preparation:: I didnot study any concret theory for this. Practiced 20 passages from the RC 99 and somehow my accuracy dropped and as this was just before the exam,( say within a week). I stopped practiing from the RC 99. Though I had a strategy to tackle RC passages,(I used to read the passage and take notes). However, I was not able to cmplete within 8-9 minutes . I would complete a passage on an average 11-12 minutes.
I am not sure how to improve on this section. I am planning to buy the Veritas RC book. What I intend to do is practice a lot and and to complete the passage in not more than 8-9 minutes.

Ok, so this is what I intend to do , before my next GMAT. I am not very sure if I would be able to reach my goal of 700 + with the approach mentioned above. I am in need of serious help and directions. Also I am in a dilemma that shall I look out for a tutor, but not very sure whether I will be able to find one (a good one who can , give me directions, and point my weak areas, and work with me to find a strategy that works for me) here in Bangalore, India. Any info will be of great help
Another thing is that I not so good at evaluating myself, as to which area I am good at and which area I need improvement. I am attaching my mock test results , please guide me. I am committed to reach to my goal, and planning to study for another 1.5 months, or 2 months at the max, before I appear for the tests. Will this time period of 1.5 -2 months suffice for me to raise my score by 100 points. ? I am hereby attaching a XL where I have put my Mocks test (all are with AWA, except the first 2 -3 , not so sure), and it also contains my verbal report from manhattangmat, for the latest 3 test from manhattan, both by topic and difficulty level.
Please guide me, waiting for your valuable inputs.
Attachments

File comment: GmatMocks and Verbal report from 3 latest Manhattan test.
Mocks_VerbalReport.xls [45.5 KiB]
Downloaded 36 times

To download please login or register as a user

Last edited by jieugmatclub on 15 Feb 2012, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1035

Kudos [?]: 4510 [1] , given: 162

Re: Desperately need help and Directions in Verbal [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 00:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Responding to a pm:

I am glad that SC is your strength. Many people face a lot of problems in this question type. My only advice here is this: If you have not done some SC questions from OG12/OG11 don't touch those questions right now. Focus on your basics and practice. Once you know you have done everything you wanted to do for SC, try those questions (say after about 3 weeks). If you get a decent accuracy in them, you are good to go.

CR: You need to go through one set of CR material completely. It's your call which one. It is very important to know the various question types, the focus points of each question type, the variations in the question types etc. e.g. in the Veritas CR1 book, 2-3 pages are dedicated to each question type - SWIMMER (Strengthen, Weaken, Inference, Method, Mimic, Explain the paradox and Role) - along with some examples. In CR2, variations of these question types e.g. assumption questions etc are discussed. Once the students go through these thoroughly, they get assorted questions. It doesn't take very long to go through 20-30 pages of 2 books, does it? At the end of it all, you will be thankful for the clarity you get. Your approach is fine though it might take quite a bit of time. I would suggest you to read the question, make a mental note of the premises and the conclusion, think of what kind of an answer you would be happy with and check out the options (to hopefully find what you were looking for).

RC - There is very little theory here though it is still a good idea to know the question types and the various strategies you could use. The important thing here is to find which strategy works for you and then practice lots of questions using it. It is important to take a note of scope, tone, organization and purpose of the passage after your first full read. Thereafter, you can jump to the questions. Also, don't do 10 passages in 1 day and then none the next. Work on 2-3 passages everyday to fine tune your strategy and get the best results. Veritas RC book has a lot of high level passages from subjects ranging from History to Science to Economics etc etc

You can easily improve you Verbal raw score by 10 points (or more) within a month. That itself should be a big improvement. You can also try to push your Quant a little further to cross the 50 mark. Together, the two will take you beyond 700.

Comments on your Mocks Analysis: There is a lot of scope of improvement in RC (consistent 80% is very achievable) and you are quite erratic in CR (once you have a good grasp of the concepts, a consistent 80% is easily do-able). Your SC accuracy is 60-70% on average and you are a bit more stable here. Perhaps, if you put in some more time, you may take it >70% which should be fine.

As for a tutor in Bangalore, I do not really know. You might want to search the pagalguy forum and check out a couple of places. A tutor is helpful in streamlining the preparation and making the best use of limited time.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

Re: Desperately need help and Directions in Verbal [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 20:23
hi,

I just noticed the split of three gmat taken till date.

GMAT 1: Dec 31, 2007 570 (Q44, V 25)
GMAT 2: Dec 21, 2009 590 (Q48, V 28)
GMAT 3: Feb 09, 2012 600 (Q48, V 25)

This clearly defies the tables of gmat scores in circulation :) , i know that such tables are not concrete, but do stats given above mean that the score of verbal affects the overall score in a greater sense ??

I heard that verbal has higher weightage on overall score of gmat, but does it vary so much ?

thanks
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: Desperately need help and Directions in Verbal [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 09:13
Thanks Karishma, for your valuable suggestions, That definately will help me a lot.

@versatile: I mistyped my second verbal score, Its 23 and not 28. Sorry for the mistake.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1191

Kudos [?]: 3187 [0], given: 179

Re: Desperately need help and Directions in Verbal [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 14:32
Expert's post
Dear Ujjal,

Your goal of 700 means that you are aiming for a split of Q49, V36.This implies that you need to improve your Verbal Score by 11 points. This is a big jump - not impossible but a big jump. Your current Verbal score suggests that you probably need to improve across the board. A closer analysis of based on your MGMAT tests tells me that you need to do some serious work on CR and RC (Accuracy levels - 52% and 58% as opposed to 67% in SC). The stats also indicate the areas in CR and RC that you need to focus on (you can look at the data and list it here).

Your Study Material

I agree with Karishma that you need to take one set of materials and complete them. I would go even further and say that even do select portions twice. Build on your prethinking skills in CR and don't worry about timing initially. Make sure that you score 80% in each concept and application file. Repeat portions of the file(s) if you dont score 80%. Also do the OG questions along with each applicaiton file diligently? The important thing is to build concepts and learn how to apply them. Its great that you are thinking about strategies for each question type. By all means execute on that. It would help you immensely. Remember, the key skill in CR is Prethinking. If you can do prethink assumptions then you should be adapt your process to solve Evaluate, Strengthen and Weaken question types relatively easily.

There are a few more things that I would like to add to. Please write to me at administrator@e-gmat.com and we can take it further.

-Rajat

Free Webinar: August 03, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: Desperately need help and Directions in Verbal [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 17:27
Hi Rajat,
Thanks for your reply, Your suggestions will definitely help me.
Surely, I will write to you . thanks.

Regards,
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

Re: Desperately need help and Directions in Verbal [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 20:10
Hi Rajat,

I really wish i knew about e-gmat earlier :(

my verbal has varied ( two gmat prep - 26-30 , mgmat - 28 to 32 , knewton 26-28 )

I really dont know where do i stand ?

Second, I have an accuracy of 70% in OG + verbal 2 guide, do you think i am weak at fundamentals of SC or i am not good pacing ( when i am confronted with combination of Q from cr , rc and sc ) because in exams in get an accuracy of 60-70% only.

how do you evaluate the accuracy of 70% in SC and 60% in CR ( including all the question - easy + hard )

i am looking at 650 , my quant is at 44 ( consistent in gmat prep and mgmat both )

thanks
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 5

Re: Desperately need help and Directions in Verbal [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 16:38
Expert's post
Versatile,
If you're in the 70% range, you can score in the low 600s. To reach upper 600s, you're going to need to be over the 80% range. Do some more practice questions and get a tutor if you need it.

Best of luck.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Desperately need help and Directions in Verbal   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2012, 16:38