Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Desperately Seeking Some Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Desperately Seeking Some Advice [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 10:28
Hi Linda,

So, this is another profile requesting your evaluation and advice.

Undergrad: Physics major with a very low GPA of 2.6 (embarrassing!!)

Graduate degree: MA in Economics from JHU (part-time). GPA: 3.62

GMAT: 650 on 1st attempt. Took it again recently and in spite of being better prepared, I got a de-motivating 500-something. (didn't even look at the last 2 digits after staring at the 1st for a good minute.)

Work experience: 4+ years at a big international organization (dealing with Economics) which is in the media almost everyday. Have progressed my career at this organization from a ‘temp’ in the HR department, during the recession of 2001, to my current extremely analytical staff position as a Financial and Accounting Analyst in the Finance department. I work on projects that have an impact internationally and deal on a daily basis with central banks authorities of different countries, the FRBNY etc. I initially was one of two members of a team responsible for the daily operations involved in managing a portfolio of $60-70 billion and now that the other person is on maternity leave, I am the only one doing the everyday work on this portfolio.

Undergraduate experience: Was way too involved in college. Was the elected president of an international organization for 2 consecutive years, was elected to be on the Student Senate, part of Dean’s Advisory committee, co-founded a Cricket club and a Chess club and played rugby and soccer. These are just a few of the activities I was involved in.

Post-graduate extracurricular experience: nothing major as I was attending graduate school mostly. Did tutor math to a high school student for last year Summer (but that was paid)

Reason for pursuing MBA: Want to break into the private sector after having worked purely at a non-profit international organization. Interested in the derivatives market and after talking to people in my area of interest I have realized that MBA is the logical bridge required to land a job in that field.

Other factors pertaining to (the rather embarrassing) undergraduate academic record: While being extremely involved, I had to sponsor 50% of my tuition in the last 2 yrs of college. As a result I was working over 30 hours a week in different part-time jobs, which ranged from being a bar-tender at a popular local bar to being a research assistant for a Physics professor.

Targeted schools: Columbia, MIT, Wharton, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell and possibly Harvard, NYU and Duke.

So, my current dilemma is whether I should re-take the GMAT again to try and perk up my score, or should I continue my application for Round 1 (of MIT in November) and Round 2 of Cornell (in November as well)?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Desperately Seeking Some Advice [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 13:37
Expert's post
tank wrote:
Hi Linda,

So, this is another profile requesting your evaluation and advice.

Undergrad: Physics major with a very low GPA of 2.6 (embarrassing!!)

Graduate degree: MA in Economics from JHU (part-time). GPA: 3.62

GMAT: 650 on 1st attempt. Took it again recently and in spite of being better prepared, I got a de-motivating 500-something. (didn't even look at the last 2 digits after staring at the 1st for a good minute.)

Work experience: 4+ years at a big international organization (dealing with Economics) which is in the media almost everyday. Have progressed my career at this organization from a ‘temp’ in the HR department, during the recession of 2001, to my current extremely analytical staff position as a Financial and Accounting Analyst in the Finance department. I work on projects that have an impact internationally and deal on a daily basis with central banks authorities of different countries, the FRBNY etc. I initially was one of two members of a team responsible for the daily operations involved in managing a portfolio of $60-70 billion and now that the other person is on maternity leave, I am the only one doing the everyday work on this portfolio.

Undergraduate experience: Was way too involved in college. Was the elected president of an international organization for 2 consecutive years, was elected to be on the Student Senate, part of Dean’s Advisory committee, co-founded a Cricket club and a Chess club and played rugby and soccer. These are just a few of the activities I was involved in.

Post-graduate extracurricular experience: nothing major as I was attending graduate school mostly. Did tutor math to a high school student for last year Summer (but that was paid)

Reason for pursuing MBA: Want to break into the private sector after having worked purely at a non-profit international organization. Interested in the derivatives market and after talking to people in my area of interest I have realized that MBA is the logical bridge required to land a job in that field.

Other factors pertaining to (the rather embarrassing) undergraduate academic record: While being extremely involved, I had to sponsor 50% of my tuition in the last 2 yrs of college. As a result I was working over 30 hours a week in different part-time jobs, which ranged from being a bar-tender at a popular local bar to being a research assistant for a Physics professor.

Targeted schools: Columbia, MIT, Wharton, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell and possibly Harvard, NYU and Duke.

So, my current dilemma is whether I should re-take the GMAT again to try and perk up my score, or should I continue my application for Round 1 (of MIT in November) and Round 2 of Cornell (in November as well)?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers.

Considering your undergrad GPA, you really need to get your GMAT close to the targeted school's GMAT average if you want to have a serious chance. Yes, your grad GPA mitigates the GPA, but you can't apply to these schools seriously with an undergrad GPA and GMAT so far below their average and 20-80 percentiles on those two very important criteria.

I'm sorry to be so blunt and discouraging.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2005, 06:06
I appreciate your candid response. Thanks again.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2005, 15:12
Expert's post
tank wrote:
I appreciate your candid response. Thanks again.

You're very welcome. Good luck with it. I hope you raise that score.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2005, 07:55
Hi Linda,

I recently re-took the GMAT and received a score of 720 (96 percentile) Math-49, Verbal-39.

I have streamlined my choice of schools as well to Harvard, Wharton, Columbia, Cornell and NYU. Based on the new score and background info provided earlier, could you please re-assess my chances. Thanks in advance.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2005, 17:53
Expert's post
tank wrote:
Hi Linda,

I recently re-took the GMAT and received a score of 720 (96 percentile) Math-49, Verbal-39.

I have streamlined my choice of schools as well to Harvard, Wharton, Columbia, Cornell and NYU. Based on the new score and background info provided earlier, could you please re-assess my chances. Thanks in advance.

Congratulations! That's quite a bump. Now you have a competitive profile for all the programs. HBS is still the least likely admit, but you probably know that. I'm optimistic that in a few months time you will be able to share good news.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553