Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2016, 08:36
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

DESPITE/ALTHOUGH

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 72
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 84

GMAT ToolKit User
DESPITE/ALTHOUGH [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2013, 09:57
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
wats the difference between despite and although........need help...... :)
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 2929
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 329

Kudos [?]: 2407 [4] , given: 1835

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: DESPITE/ALTHOUGH [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2013, 08:34
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The Main Difference between Although and Despite/In spite of is that although is used before the full sentence whereas you can not use Despite/In spite of[/b] before the full sentence unless you add the fact

There is another criteria for selection of Although/Despite, which I learned from one of my strategy books. however The same has not confirmed by trusted grammar websites and I also found some exceptions to this rule. I usually applies it when rest of the sentence is grammatically correct, concise, and the only difference is of Although and Despite/In spite of

Here is that Rule

ALTHOUGH is used to express a positive outcome in the face of a negative quality.

EXAMPLE : Although it was raining (Negative Circumstance), we went to the movies (Positive Outcome).


DESPITE or INSPITE OF is used to express a negative outcome in the face of a positive quality.

EXAMPLE : Despite the fact that we started early (Positive Circumstance), we arrived at the destination very late. (Negative Outcome)


Despite all their talk about pollution control (Positive Circumstance), large organisations have so far done very little to control ecological damage (Negative Outcome)

Hope that Helps!

Narenn
_________________

MBA Rankings | Admission Deadlines | BSchool Adcom Chats | Applicant Status Tracker - Real Time Updates

Executive MBA | Part Time MBA | MBA Applicant Blogs | MBA Student Blogs

Impact of GMAT Score on Your Admission Chances
Special Scholarships and Fellowships Awarded at Top BSchools
Best Admissions Consulting Companies
Business School Reviews - Real and Verified
Global Map of Business Schools
From GMATClub MBA Guide - How to Start Researching Business Schools!!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2014
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: DESPITE/ALTHOUGH [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2014, 08:37
DESPITE TAKING frequent naps, I STUDY effectively.
Is this sentence correct??
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2014
Posts: 10
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 60

Re: DESPITE/ALTHOUGH [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2014, 23:39
Despite/in spite of : both are preposition take noun or noun phrase as object .
Although/ though : both are subordinating conjunctions, so it follows by full clause
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 60

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: DESPITE/ALTHOUGH [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2015, 04:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
Narenn wrote:
The Main Difference between Although and Despite/In spite of is that although is used before the full sentence whereas you can not use Despite/In spite of[/b] before the full sentence unless you add the fact

There is another criteria for selection of Although/Despite, which I learned from one of my strategy books. however The same has not confirmed by trusted grammar websites and I also found some exceptions to this rule. I usually applies it when rest of the sentence is grammatically correct, concise, and the only difference is of Although and Despite/In spite of

Here is that Rule

ALTHOUGH is used to express a positive outcome in the face of a negative quality.

EXAMPLE : Although it was raining (Negative Circumstance), we went to the movies (Positive Outcome).


DESPITE or INSPITE OF is used to express a negative outcome in the face of a positive quality.

EXAMPLE : Despite the fact that we started early (Positive Circumstance), we arrived at the destination very late. (Negative Outcome)


Despite all their talk about pollution control (Positive Circumstance), large organisations have so far done very little to control ecological damage (Negative Outcome)

Hope that Helps!

Narenn


Hi
Although can be followed either by a clause or by a phrase.

e.g.
case1:
Although + phrase
OGVR2 SC Q#36
the correct answer choice (E):
- Although eradicated in the United States, polio continues elsewhere and could be
here, "Although followed be a verb phrase and not by a clause

case2:
Although + clause
OG13 SC Q#132
the correct answer choice (B):
- Although heirloom tomatoes, [modifier [grown from seeds saved during the previous year]], appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins.
here, "Although followed be a dependent clause

Conclusion:
According to GMAT Although can be followed by either a clause or a phrase
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 129

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: DESPITE/ALTHOUGH [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2015, 11:00
In the context of this problem, following article may also help:

although-is-a-dependent-clause-dc-marker-so-it-has-to-start-a-dc-200260.html
_________________

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2015
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: DESPITE/ALTHOUGH [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 11:55
subhanil2u wrote:
DESPITE TAKING frequent naps, I STUDY effectively.
Is this sentence correct??



What is the answer to this?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 144
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 17

Re: DESPITE/ALTHOUGH [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 23:33
It looks that both would be correct:

Despite taking frequent naps, I study effectively.

Although I take frequent naps, I study effectively.

So, meaning wise, they don't look different to me.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 3947
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 2498 [0], given: 97

Re: DESPITE/ALTHOUGH [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 00:28
Expert's post
sukanyar wrote:
It looks that both would be correct:

Despite taking frequent naps, I study effectively.

Although I take frequent naps, I study effectively.

So, meaning wise, they don't look different to me.


Yes, you are correct in your observations..
MEANING wise botyh despit and although do not differ much to be significant..

Despite is a preposition so can take ing modifier..
Although is a conjunction and is correctly containing verb and subject
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Re: DESPITE/ALTHOUGH   [#permalink] 12 May 2016, 00:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

DESPITE/ALTHOUGH

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.