Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [1] , given: 67

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
RJSPO wrote:
Why Is A wrong ? :?

Good question

I say its a good question because it will help to understand the use of it here.

errors in A
Us of it :it should stand for noun, so nearest noun here is "the top hitter"
In my opinion it can not stand for a possessive noun.
if at all it will have to do for the whole possessive noun clause, which will include .342.
Hence it will be wrong.

It can not just stand for a part of possessive noun i.e. career batting average.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 67

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 12:08
souvik101990 wrote:
Well the compared to and compared with differences are way too subtle to be a deal breaker
If you notice, it used to appear in the MGMAT earlier editions and MGMAT people have opted not to mention the rule anymore.
I wont rule out an option just because compared to is used for like things.
For example,
My grades were low this year compared to what they were last year.
Here compared to is modifying a noun which is grades.
However as compared to modifies a phrase
For example,
My grades were low this year as compared to last year.
Here, as compared to is modifying the entire phrase so we do not need to mention the word "grades" again.

Well explained but i think last word of last sentence should be possesive form otherwise it is incorrect as it will modify just last year
correct me if i am wrong.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 645 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 12:08
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
Marcab wrote:
actleader wrote:
Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe Ruth’s career batting average was .342, Babe Ruth's career is being counted as the top hitter of the game? STOP!while it was actually higher for Ty Cobb at .366.

(A) while it was actually higher for Ty Cobb at .366. "it" modifies the exact the same batting average but here we need a new copy. Hence "that" is needed. Also "WHILE" implies that both the batting averages were at the same moment. One has to be an earlier batting average, so that the comparison sounds logical
(B) compared to Ty Cobb, who had .366.Incorrect comparsion
(C) whereas the .366 career batting average of Ty Cobb was actually higher.
(D) whereas Ty Cobb was a higher .366.Incorrect comparison
(E) compared to the batting average of Ty Cobb, which was .366.

Eliminate ABD.
We are reduced to C and E.
Now here is the point. The Introductory clause uses "Despite counted as the top hitter of the game", so in the rest of the sentence we must have to mention something that reinforces with this fact. example- Despite being a university dropout, Bill Gates has become more successful than his the then university classmates.
C does exactly does that but E does'nt.

Note that in E, if you have eliminated it just on the basis that "which" is modifying Ty Cobb then unfortunately you are wrong. Here "which" is modifying "batting average of Ty Cobb".
ex- Box of nails, which is very large, is kept on the table.
Here "which" is modifying "box".

+1C.
Hope That helps.
-s

P.S. After seeing this question, I advise everyone to ensure that they are tackling questions from a renowned prep company.

@Marcab
Can u pls specify grounds on which you have eliminated option E.

The reason has been highlighted in blue.
Hope that helps.
-s

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Current Student

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 12:17
@Marcabb

So
whereas the .366 career batting average of Ty Cobb was actually higher
there is no issue with the use of "the .366"
Can it not be used as point of elimination.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3039 [0], given: 890

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 12:17
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Well the compared to and compared with differences are way too subtle to be a deal breaker
If you notice, it used to appear in the MGMAT earlier editions and MGMAT people have opted not to mention the rule anymore.
I wont rule out an option just because compared to is used for like things.
For example,
My grades were low this year compared to what they were last year.
Here compared to is modifying a noun which is grades.
However as compared to modifies a phrase
For example,
My grades were low this year as compared to last year.
Here, as compared to is modifying the entire phrase so we do not need to mention the word "grades" again.

Well explained but i think last word of last sentence should be possesive form otherwise it is incorrect as it will modify just last year
correct me if i am wrong.

Well, yeah. What I meant to say was when you add "as" the modifier becomes adverbial and has to modify an action.

But then the sentences that I have written will be wrong answer choices in a 750 level gmat question
Reason is, the use of "compared to" is REDUNDANT when used alongside a comparison word like more/less/greater etc.
For ex.
Tendulkar's batting average is more compared to Ganguly's
WRONG because "more" needs "than" and compared to is unnecessary.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 12:36
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
@Marcabb

So
whereas the .366 career batting average of Ty Cobb was actually higher
there is no issue with the use of "the .366"
Can it not be used as point of elimination.

No. It can't.
Reason: It specifically compares the two batting averages.
Consider an example- Did you remember the 200 runs scored by Sachin against South Africa?
Did you remember 200 runs scored by Sachin against South Africa?.
Which is better?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Current Student

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 12:37
thanks souvik
this discussion was really fruitful
have gained a lot.
Current Student

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 12:42
As per your example, you intend make Bill gates outstanding when compared to all of his classmates not just one sachin tendulkar, who was his classmate, hence i think use of "the " is not correct here.

Despite being a university dropout, Bill Gates has become more successful than his the then university classmates.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 12:55
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
As per your example, you intend make Bill gates outstanding when compared to all of his classmates not just one sachin tendulkar, who was his classmate, hence i think use of "the " is not correct here.

Despite being a university dropout, Bill Gates has become more successful than his the then university classmates.

Are you concerned about this "the".
I used this "the" to give emphasis to his classmates in particular. There would be no problem, if you say:
Despite being a university dropout, Bill Gates has become more successful than his classmates who topped the university.

Rules For Posting

Current Student

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 12:58
Not at all the in your example is not a concern, I mean you used the 200 while referring to sachin's score since it is something outstanding and one in its type.
But the sentence has the.366 batting avg..... Intent of sentence and your example is Bil gates is outstanding compared to all his classmates not just a single student who is unique.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 13:08
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
Not at all the in your example is not a concern, I mean you used the 200 while referring to sachin's score since it is something outstanding and one in its type.
But the sentence has the.366 batting avg..... Intent of sentence and your example is Bil gates is outstanding compared to all his classmates not just a single student who is unique.

While comparing the intent of the example of batting average, I gave the example of Sachin's 200. Note that "the" is used to emphasis on the total runs he scored, not the individual ones. It was given to show you how "the" changes the meaning. But in the original question, even if "the" is removed, there would'nt be any problem.

Moreover, the Bill Gates example which I gave was to show you how "despite" plays with you.
And it was the major reason to choose C.
Hope that helps.

Rules For Posting

Current Student

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 13:28
I dont agree
the with anynumber means its outstanding or only one.
But the intent of the sentence does not lays any emphasis on the idea of " Only One".
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 13:32
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
I dont agree
the with anynumber means its outstanding or only one.
But the intent of the sentence does not lays any emphasis on the idea of " Only One".

This is a common misconception; there is no such thing as an "intended meaning" as represented by A. A is no more of a fundamental, baseline answer choice than any other. So never feel you have to maintain something you saw in A. You just need to pick the meaning that makes the most overall sense.

-t
Courtesy Tommy Wallach.

Rules For Posting

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mays '16, Simon '16
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 51

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 14:04
thanks for explaining guys .. :)

'Compared to' - Point similarities
'Compared with' - Actual comparison(Similiar things)
So,is there an exception to the above rule?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 274 [1] , given: 67

Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 16:51
This post received
KUDOS
RJSPO wrote:
thanks for explaining guys .. :)

'Compared to' - Point similarities
'Compared with' - Actual comparison(Similiar things)
So,is there an exception to the above rule?

4. Compared to/with for STATISTICS:
If you say "compared with/to" for statistics, you should cite BOTH statistics in the comparison.
The expression "compared to/with" does NOT imply any sort of direction to the comparison; i.e., it gives no hint as
to greater/less/like/unlike. Therefore, you need to give both of the relevant statistics, or else the statement won't
make any sense.
Examples:
"The unemployment rate in Esteria last month was 5.3%, compared to the rate in Burdistan." --
INCORRECT! This makes no sense. We have absolutely no idea what is going on with the rate in Burdistan.
"The unemployment rate in Esteria last month was 5.3%, compared to a rate of 7% in Burdistan." --
CORRECT!
Both statistics are cited.

This is an excerpt from Ron's strategy for SC u might found helpful.
As stated by souvik similarity cannot be taken as point of elimination.
Re: Despite being counted as the top hitter of all time, Babe   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2012, 16:51