Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 20

Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 20:10
Got A and E..
Already explained beautifully by vc019
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 06:11
A and E blare .

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 06:37
A

this took a little time for me to figure out.But still E fits the bill.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 09:09
A for the first one..E actually strengthens the argument by confirming that "Increased urban pollution, improved recording ...are the only possible explanations of the increased death rate due to asthma"

E for the second..it gives an argument (if true) which can weaken the argument

Fight till you succeed like a gladiator..or doom your life which can be invincible

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 07:37
A and E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 10:07
These LSAT questions are tricked up more than the GMAT questions...good practice though.
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 21:41
E seems correct

2 KUDOS received
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 13:02
This post received
KUDOS
[quote="sushom101"]Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate form this disease has doubled during the past decade from its previous rate. Two possible explanations for this increase have been offered. First, the recording of deaths due to asthma has become more widespread and accurate in the past decade than it had been previously. Second, there has been an increase in urban pollution. However, since the rate of deaths due to asthma has increased dramatically even in cities with long-standing, comprehensive medical records and with little or no urban pollution, one must instead conclude that the cause of increased deaths is the use of bronchial inhalers by asthma sufferers to relieve their symptoms.

Each of the following, if true, provides support to the argument EXCEPT:

(A) Urban populations have doubled in the past decade.
(B) Records of asthma deaths are as accurate for the past twenty years as for the past ten years.
(C) Evidence suggests that bronchial inhalers make the lungs more sensitive to irritation by airborne pollen.
(D) By temporarily relieving the symptoms of asthma, inhalers encourage sufferers to avoid more beneficial measures.
(E) Ten years ago bronchial inhalers were not available as an asthma treatment.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A

I don't understand why B is incorrect here..
the argument states that the recording of deaths was not accurate earlier..and Statement B opposes that by saying that the records have been accurate during the mentioned period..can someone please explain..
Thanks,
LC
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 875 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 14:05
LifeChanger wrote:
sushom101 wrote:
Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate form this disease has doubled during the past decade from its previous rate. Two possible explanations for this increase have been offered. First, the recording of deaths due to asthma has become more widespread and accurate in the past decade than it had been previously. Second, there has been an increase in urban pollution. However, since the rate of deaths due to asthma has increased dramatically even in cities with long-standing, comprehensive medical records and with little or no urban pollution, one must instead conclude that the cause of increased deaths is the use of bronchial inhalers by asthma sufferers to relieve their symptoms.

(B) Records of asthma deaths are as accurate for the past twenty years as for the past ten years.
(C) Evidence suggests that bronchial inhalers make the lungs more sensitive to irritation by airborne pollen.
(D) By temporarily relieving the symptoms of asthma, inhalers encourage sufferers to avoid more beneficial measures.

A

the argument states that the recording of deaths was not accurate earlier..and Statement B opposes that by saying that the records have been accurate during the mentioned period..can someone please explain..
Thanks,
LC

Valid point.

I remember reading this in CR Bible.

Sometimes, though very rarely, GMAT presents an option that directly refutes the fact presented in the premise instead of the argument. This is an example of one such exception. In such situation, we should consider the option to be true.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 11:50
fluke wrote:
LifeChanger wrote:
sushom101 wrote:
Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate form this disease has doubled during the past decade from its previous rate. Two possible explanations for this increase have been offered. First, the recording of deaths due to asthma has become more widespread and accurate in the past decade than it had been previously. Second, there has been an increase in urban pollution. However, since the rate of deaths due to asthma has increased dramatically even in cities with long-standing, comprehensive medical records and with little or no urban pollution, one must instead conclude that the cause of increased deaths is the use of bronchial inhalers by asthma sufferers to relieve their symptoms.

A

Thanks,
LC

Valid point.

I remember reading this in CR Bible.

Sometimes, though very rarely, GMAT presents an option that directly refutes the fact presented in the premise instead of the argument. This is an example of one such exception. In such situation, we should consider the option to be true.

@Fluke-Thanks for clarifying my doubt..I have read both MGMAT CR and Powerscore CR,but unable to recollect the point u have stated..any idea where it might be?

Thanks,
LC
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 875 [1] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 16:56
This post received
KUDOS
LifeChanger wrote:

@Fluke-Thanks for clarifying my doubt..I have read both MGMAT CR and Powerscore CR,but unable to recollect the point u have stated..any idea where it might be?

Thanks,
LC

This rule is stated for weakening question and I don't see why the same can't be applied for this question.

The point is: when two contradictory things are said in both Premise and the options(only for the questions that read "Each of the following, if true"), it is better to consider the options true.

CR-2005 Edition
Chapter Six: Weaken Questions
Topic: How to weaken an Argument
Sub-topic: 1. The Premises
Extract:
One of the classic ways to attack an argument is to attack the premises on which the conclusion rests. Regrettably, this form
of attack is rarely used on the GMAT because when a premise is attacked, the answer choice is easy to spot. Literally, the answer will contradict one of the premises, and most students are capable of reading an argument and then identifying an answer that simply negates a premise. In practice, almost all correct GMAT Weaken question answers leave the premises untouched.
Page: 113

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 06:34
fluke wrote:
LifeChanger wrote:

Thanks,
LC

This rule is stated for weakening question and I don't see why the same can't be applied for this question.

The point is: when two contradictory things are said in both Premise and the options(only for the questions that read "Each of the following, if true"), it is better to consider the options true.

CR-2005 Edition
Chapter Six: Weaken Questions
Topic: How to weaken an Argument
Sub-topic: 1. The Premises
Extract:
One of the classic ways to attack an argument is to attack the premises on which the conclusion rests. Regrettably, this form
of attack is rarely used on the GMAT because when a premise is attacked, the answer choice is easy to spot. Literally, the answer will contradict one of the premises, and most students are capable of reading an argument and then identifying an answer that simply negates a premise. In practice, almost all correct GMAT Weaken question answers leave the premises untouched.
Page: 113

Thank you for the info
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 23:38
A and C for me.. The others don't make sense..

petrifiedbutstanding

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 18:21
An except question where we look for four choices in support for the conclusion : use of bronchial inhalers is actually the cause for the doubling of the death rate from asthma

(A) has no connection with the use of inhaler as the cause of death. Also pollution and population ain't related in this context.
(B) strengthens the conclusion by making the dismissed cause more dilute, and hence confirming the strength of the argument as it proceeds.
(C)harmful effect of inhaler-strengthens
(D) inhaler as an obstruction to more cures-strengthens
(E) doesn't suggests inhalers were unavailable in between - strengthens

(A) urban pollution doesn't matter in this connection.
(B) role of allergies takes us to the other side-introduces more causes.
(C) strengths, but is not indispensable for the argument to hold.
(D) has no connection with inhalers causing jump in the death rate from asthma.
(E) the author did assume the 3 causes. however, he dismissed two of them in the end, citing a reason. If the assumption is negated, the dismissal of the earlier two causes will still leave more than one cause, and hence the argument will fall apart.

squeakvm

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 18:45
LifeChanger wrote:
sushom101 wrote:

A

Thanks,
LC

In the end, the author dismissed the earlier causes, namely, improved documentation and increase in urban pollution. Presence of improved the documentation helps to do away with the quality of documentation as the cause.

squeakvm

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 02:34
Straight A for the first one.

A doubling in population is not necessarily account for an increase in the rate of asthma deaths. Mathematically, if the number of asthma deaths increase, the rate will not change, since the population has also doubled.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 24

Re: Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 09:15
Let me clarify one aspect :-
For CR questions of the FORMAT - Each of the following, if true, provides support to the argument EXCEPT:, one should remember a very important aspect , that while, 4 out of 5 options MUST SUPPORT the argument , 1 option(the correct answer) SHOULD NOT support it.

I see many posts which states that option b) is not the correct answer , as it is out of scope. This is an incorrect conclusion.
If option b) is not the correct answer choice, then Option b) MUST support the argument.
It is for us to evaluate why ? :-)

For Q-1) its a clear toss up between A) and B). Options - C,D,E clearly strengthen the argument.
{ Lets negate this. Urban populations have NOT doubled in the past decade. My response to this is "yawn"..
ahem..so what. The population has not doubled, but the population may have increased by 10%, 20% or 5 million percent. This still doesnt matter because as per the premise, the population has INCREASED and the RATES of asthma have also increased. Negating this premise has NO EFFECT on the conclusion,this clearly indicates that this answer choice is harmless.
}

[i]{ This answer option vexes me.
b) The premise clearly states the following -
Quote:
First, the recording of deaths due to asthma has become more widespread and accurate in the past decade than it had been previously
. Now this answer answer option seems to question the correctness of the author's premise. I encourage all the smart folks to take a shot at illustrating why, b) supports the argument , INSPITE contradicting a premise given in the original argument .
If your response is that this answer choice dismisses the viability of "accurate record keeping" as a causative factor, then following the same rationale, the "Population increase" factor should gain more credence now, shouldn't it ?

Brickbats please...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It take considerable time and effort to post detailed responses. Your kudos is appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF TIME AND TO POST DETAILED RESPONSES.
YOUR KUDOS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by hafizkarim on 14 Jul 2012, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 11:29
hafizkarim wrote:
Let me clarify one aspect :-
For CR questions of the FORMAT - Each of the following, if true, provides support to the argument EXCEPT:, one should remember a very important aspect about questions that use the "EXCEPT" format, while, 4 out of 5 options MUST SUPPORT the argument , 1 option(the correct answer) SHOULD NOT support it. The "Should not support" phrase implies EITHER of the 2 - does nothing (OR) weakens the argument

I see many posts which states that option b) is not the correct answer as it is out of scope. This is an incorrect conclusion.
If option b) is not an answer, then Option b) MUST support the argument.
It is for us to evaluate why ? :-)

@hafizkarim :Nice to see a detailed explanation! But am not quite sure what you re trying to explain here...

I guess its option A and E hands down now, right?

Now on the 1st qn, option b.

@fluke, @life changer:
I think the option b does not directly damage the entire premise. True, it causes a lot of harm but not entirely.

Premise: First, the recording of deaths due to asthma has become more widespread and accurate in the past decade than it had been previously
Option b: Records of asthma deaths are as accurate for the past twenty years as for the past ten years.

Option b only hits on accuracy, but the widespread word is still standing. The accuracy rate may be the same (for eg, the tests conducted were 80% accurate before and now) but the tests have become more widespread, i.e more ppl are taking the tests now.
Hence, with this option we do not have conclusive evidence to weaken the argument.
A provides us that!

Hope this clears it! :)
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

Re: Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 07:54
A for me. the fact that the population has increased doesnt add anything, because the stimulus already takes explains this bit as (i) rates have increased (ii) this cant be attributed to increase in population
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 08:48
I went with B for the first one since it did seem that the population doubling did not support the argument. Still thinking over why A seems to be the OA.

For the second one, E looks the part.

Still mulling on why A for the first question. Good question though personally.

My attempt to capture my B-School Journey in a Blog : tranquilnomadgmat.blogspot.com

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Re: Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2012, 08:48