Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:40

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [4] , given: 0

Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 13:26
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (02:38) correct 48% (01:39) wrong based on 1122 sessions
Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate form this disease has doubled during the past decade from its previous rate. Two possible explanations for this increase have been offered. First, the recording of deaths due to asthma has become more widespread and accurate in the past decade than it had been previously. Second, there has been an increase in urban pollution. However, since the rate of deaths due to asthma has increased dramatically even in cities with long-standing, comprehensive medical records and with little or no urban pollution, one must instead conclude that the cause of increased deaths is the use of bronchial inhalers by asthma sufferers to relieve their symptoms.

Each of the following, if true, provides support to the argument EXCEPT:

(A) Urban populations have doubled in the past decade.
(B) Records of asthma deaths are as accurate for the past twenty years as for the past ten years.
(C) Evidence suggests that bronchial inhalers make the lungs more sensitive to irritation by airborne pollen.
(D) By temporarily relieving the symptoms of asthma, inhalers encourage sufferers to avoid more beneficial measures.
(E) Ten years ago bronchial inhalers were not available as an asthma treatment.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Urban pollution has not doubled in the past decade.
(B) Doctors and patients generally ignore the role of allergies in asthma.
(C) Bronchial inhalers are unsafe, even when used according to the recommended instructions.
(D) The use of bronchial inhalers aggravates other diseases that frequently occur among asthma sufferers and that often lead to fatal outcomes even when the asthma itself does not.
(E) Increased urban pollution, improved recording of asthma deaths, and the use of bronchial inhalers are the only possible explanations of the increased death rate due to asthma.

E
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 14:22
This post received
KUDOS
this one's taking quite some time for me and I am not sure, but I'll give it a shot anyways, as you should answer every question right? :P

The conclusion is, that bronchial inhalers are the cause of increased death incidence of asthma patients and not urban population growth or something else.

A) does not help to explain why inhalers cause death in asthma thus keep
B) more accurate data on asthma records makes all findings generally more valid
C) inhalers make lungs more sensitive and strengthens the asthma and thus could end in death
D) the quick 'n dirty relieve evades the need to treat the asthma
E) More inhalers -> more asthma death causes

Next
Assumption must be, that the inhalers are kinda harmful, otherwise they cannot cause the increased incidents in death.

only C) directly relates inhalers to this fact....
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 17:30
This post received
KUDOS
D and C for me.

1. D - If the use of more beneficial measures is discouraged by the use of inhalers, it offers a posible reason for the increased fatality.

2. C - Since the argument doesn't say why it includes the inhaler in the list, it is assumed that it is unsafe.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 18:08
This post received
KUDOS
[ 1st Question ]

I pick (C), thought I'm not very convinced.

(A) Urban populations have doubled in the past decade.

>> The author accepts this, but suggests another evidence that this is not the reason of the increased fatalities.

(B) Records of asthma deaths are as accurate for the past twenty years as for the past ten years.

>> The author accepts this, but suggests another evidence that this is not the reason of the increased fatalities.

(C) Evidence suggests that bronchial inhalers make the lungs more sensitive to irritation by airborne pollen.

>> The author says that the inhalers relieve the symptoms. However, if inhalers more easily irritates the lungs, the symptoms won't be relieved.

(D) By temporarily relieving the symptoms of asthma, inhalers encourage sufferers to avoid more beneficial measures.

>> Yeah, this is why inhalers increase the fatalities, and thus strengthens the argument.

(E) Ten years ago bronchial inhalers were not available as an asthma treatment.

>> This strengthens the argument that inhalers are to blame for increased fatalities.

[ 2nd Question ]

Only C is the assumption.

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 19:18
This post received
KUDOS
My pick is A and C!

The argument is that the increased asthma deaths is caused not by urban population or something else, by is caused by the inhalers.

Now, the only choice that does not support this claim is choice A.

E supports the argument as it says 10 years ago inhalers were not available and thus the deaths were low
D supports the argument as it says that the inhalers prohibit people from going in for proper medication
C supports the argument as it says that the inhalers make lungs more vulnerable to irritation
B supports the argument as it says the records are accurate, there by making the comparison credible.

A does nothing. It just states what has been stated already.

For the second question, it is a clear C!
The whole argument is based on the fact that inhalers are not safe and that people use these unsafe inhalers and therefore they die. So C has to be the assumption.

Cheers, Rahul.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 00:09
This post received
KUDOS
E
E
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 00:57
This post received
KUDOS
OA is A & E...can someone explain ?????

thanks
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [3] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 02:32
This post received
KUDOS
sushom101 wrote:
OA is A & E...can someone explain ?????

thanks

Well for the first one you can read through my answers how I regarded this question.. the second one I got wrong and I know why.

I picked C, because it was the only one weakening the use of inhalers... Usefull tip: do not pick the most obvious answer, unless it is dead-right! C states that inhalers are harmful, but it does not say, that inhalers can cause death... As long as C does not make that connection, you cannot come to the conclusion. It could be, C is untrue, that some inhalers are not harmful and others are.
E is correct because: The author draws a first conclusion. Which he then refutes in favor of the second one (inhalers are the cause, because the other two factors cannot explain the data). He could have concluded:"There must be another cause besides urban pollution and accuracy of data" to explain the increased death cases. But he relates it directly to the inhalers and lets no room for other causes...

from my experience doing CR questions, this kind of answer:"... are the only ways/factors to ... blabla" tend to be the correct one.

Of course, all this explaining is easier, now that I know the answer....
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 03:25
This post received
KUDOS
thanks...phew!!! am finding CR really tough & hv still to dig into SC & RC :shock:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 00:42
This post received
KUDOS
I vote for 1st Q - A
2nd Q - E

1st Question
A - Only assumption the population has doubled and the so have the cases hence the link between deaths and use of inhalers cannot be established clearly.
B - Out of Scope.
C - Supports the conclusion that lungs become sensitive after using the inhalers.
D - Supports the conclusion
E - Supports the conclusion

2nd Question
A - Out of scope.No mention of population.
B - Out of scope.No mention of alergies.
C - Incorrect. Argument does not talk if they are safe/unsafe. It only talks of the effects.
D - No talk of other diseases.Hence out of scope.
E - Only option which is left and covers all the points mentioned in the argument and hence in scope of argument.
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I got A and E

here the conclusion is that the cause of increased deaths is the use of bronchial inhalers by asthma sufferers to relieve their symptoms.

now first question asks about the one that does not support this conclusion

A. now if Urban population have doubled in the past, the increase in death will not be because of broncial inhaler, but because of increased population
B. if records are accurate, then the other cause given weakens and supports the conclusion
C. supports the conclusion directly
D. avoiding more beneficial treatment might cause more death, so supports the conclusion
E. also suggests why the number of death was lower 10 years back.

So A is the only choice. here.

for the second question
2 reasons are offered and the third reason is the conclusion. So the assumption must be that, there are only 3 possible explanations.

E says that. so E it is.

hey ya......

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
I got A and E. Was rather dissappointed seeing the answers of others while scrolling down.

A.

Does not explain anything

E.

If there is anything other than the mentioned reasons then we cannot conclude whatever is said.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 15:50
For the first question, I think A is quite direct. For the second one the choice is a bit difficult.

The argument is the following. There are several possible causes presented by the author and a unique conclusion. He presents evidence to discard the two first causes (records and pollution). Therefore it only has only cause and the argument is the following: inhalers then increase in death asthma. So for me, the only cause to explain the increase in the rate of death is the increase in the use of inhalers. B, C and D are out of scope. E should be correct answer because it introduces evidences that, if true, would weaken the argument: it would leave a door open to the possibility of another fact to be the cause. A can not be the answer, because there is evidence proving that the level, even if it has doubled, is not the cause.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : Asthama [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 03:22
try this one guys!!!!!!!!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : Asthama [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 11:52
A and E for me...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : Asthama [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 14:08
What are the OA's?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 177 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR : Asthama [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 22:31
This post received
KUDOS
Sunny143 wrote:
What are the OA's?

Have you read the complete thread befor posting :P .
OA is already given.

and Guys Please support your answer with reasons. Its not a survey or poll, where we are trying to reach to answer by knowing how many people will vote for it. We are in a discussion forum and even a line or two will tell somehing about your thought process and others may get clues.

Unless you are an authority on GMAT questions, "if Mr X says its Option E then it has to be E" .... :?
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 14

Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 05:31
I will go with A and E

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 16

Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 11:45
sushom101 wrote:
Despite improvements in treatment for asthma, the death rate form this disease has doubled during the past decade from its previous rate. Two possible explanations for this increase have been offered. First, the recording of deaths due to asthma has become more widespread and accurate in the past decade than it had been previously. Second, there has been an increase in urban pollution. However, since the rate of deaths due to asthma has increased dramatically even in cities with long-standing, comprehensive medical records and with little or no urban pollution, one must instead conclude that the cause of increased deaths is the use of bronchial inhalers by asthma sufferers to relieve their symptoms.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Urban pollution has not doubled in the past decade.
(B) Doctors and patients generally ignore the role of allergies in asthma.
(C) Bronchial inhalers are unsafe, even when used according to the recommended instructions.
(D) The use of bronchial inhalers aggravates other diseases that frequently occur among asthma sufferers and that often lead to fatal outcomes even when the asthma itself does not.
(E) Increased urban pollution, improved recording of asthma deaths, and the use of bronchial inhalers are the only possible explanations of the increased death rate due to asthma.

E

since the OA are given let me give my methodology for getting to the rights answer for question 2 since question 1 is thoroughly explained.

a, c,d and are strengthening statements and should be eliminated.(B) is a potential AMC (alternative method of causation) but the correct answer is E for specifically applying the "eliminate the AMC" (please refer to MGMAT CR and/or CR Bible) strategy of eliminating any OTHER causation-s (wrong word but nevermind) that could hurt the argument...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Re: CR : Asthma [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 12:03
A for the first, E for the second.

For the first, I choose A because an increase in urban population does not mean an increase in pollution - making it out of scope

For the second, A contradicts the argument, B is irrelevant, C is not the choice since being unsafe doesn't necessarily mean it causes fatalities, D suggests deaths occur due to causes other than asthma, leaving us with E, saying that there isn't any other factor that could contribute to asthma related fatalities.
Re: CR : Asthma   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2010, 12:03