Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1259

Kudos [?]: 3499 [0], given: 184

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 09:44
Expert's post

Hi TGC,

Let me try to answer your questions.

(1) “Despite” can be followed by a noun or verb-ing modifier. Take the following examples:
a. Despite bad weather. Jane came over for dinner.
b. Despite being the youngest in the group, Bob gave the best answers.

(2) It is NOT ALWAYS necessary for “Although” to be preceded by a clause in order to denote a contrast. For example:

a. Although simple, the outfit stands out in the crowd.

As we can see, “although” here is not followed by a clause. It is just followed by a word – small (an adjective = noun modifier). Now this noun modifier correctly modifies the Subject of the following main clause and hence, presents logical and unambiguous comparison.

So it is not necessary for “Although” to be always followed by a clause.

Now let’s come back to the official sentence and study the correct answer Choice D:

Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but rather fragmented into mobile semirigid plates.

When it comes to parallelism, we must be very careful in identifying the correct parallel list. We first need to identify the correct entities here.

This sentence is presenting a few characteristics of Earth’s crust. It:
a. is neither seamless nor stationary
b. but rather (is) fragmented into mobile semigrid plates.

In this answer choice all these entities are grammatically as well as logically parallel. The choice employs appropriate idioms to use these adjectives correctly to denote the correct comparison.

Note that “is” is not only applicable to “neither seamless not stationary” but also to “rather fragmented”. Here two verb phrases are parallel to each other.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 12:19
Hi e-gmat,

Hi understood your examples and logically they are correct. However, I have read many explanations of OG12/13 and it seems that GMAC is a strong advocate of the idea of a CLAUSE, not any modifier, following conjunction "Although" . And many times this is the sole ground on which GMAC rejects an option as INCORRECT.

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1259

Kudos [?]: 3499 [0], given: 184

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 12:38
Expert's post

Hi TGC,

Well, yes. In most of the official sentences, we see "although" followed by a clause. But I do not quite agree that even if "although" is followed by correct phrase that clearly shows the contrast, GMAC will eliminate it as INCORRECT. There has to be usage error in order to reject it as incorrect.

We can analyze a sentence if you have any to instantiate your claim.

Thanks. :-)
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [1] , given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 21:08
This post received
KUDOS
Hi e-gmat,

Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong
electromagnetic activity, are visible as dark spots on
the surface of the Sun but,have never been sighted on
the Sun's poles or equator.
(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the
Sun but have never been sighted on
(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been
sighted on the surface of the Sun
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots
although never sighted at
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun,
although never having been sighted at
(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun's surface,
which have never been sighted on

OG13 in rejecting (C) gives below reasoning:

Although typically introduces a subordinate
clause, which has a subject and a verb,but
here there is no subject and sighted'is not a
complete verb.

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 06:14
isn't the use of "but" in "although .....,but ..." construction superfluous ? I know this has been answered in this very thread but would like some experts to shed some more light on this .. the explanation given before was just too difficult for me (I am grammar noob)

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1263 [0], given: 119

Premium Member
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 10:35
stunn3r wrote:
isn't the use of "but" in "although .....,but ..." construction superfluous ? I know this has been answered in this very thread but would like some experts to shed some more light on this .. the explanation given before was just too difficult for me (I am grammar noob)

Hi stunn3r.

Technically, clauses of concession provide a contrast between two ideas (These clauses begin with although, even though, though, despite or in spite of).
"Although" is a subordinate conjunction which is used to connect two clauses. The correct structure is: Although + subject + verb, main clause.

The word "although" itself means a contrast, the adding of "but" in the main clause does not make any sense and is incorrect.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 10:56
pqhai wrote:
stunn3r wrote:

Hi stunn3r.

Technically, clauses of concession provide a contrast between two ideas (These clauses begin with although, even though, though, despite or in spite of).
"Although" is a subordinate conjunction which is used to connect two clauses. The correct structure is: Although + subject + verb, main clause.

The word "although" itself means a contrast, the adding of "but" in the main clause does not make any sense and is incorrect.

Hope it helps.

exactly .. "although ..., but" is wrong .. but the correct answer to the original question of this thread have this formation .. I know this is an OG Question and I am not raising questions on its validity, its just that, I've always thought "although ..., but" construction is wrong, but as we can see, it is not, I would like to know the exception or rule which was followed in this question(original question of this thread)

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1263 [1] , given: 119

Premium Member
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 16:28
This post received
KUDOS
stunn3r wrote:
pqhai wrote:
stunn3r wrote:

Hi stunn3r.

Hope it helps.

exactly .. "although ..., but" is wrong .. but the correct answer to the original question of this thread have this formation .. I know this is an OG Question and I am not raising questions on its validity, its just that, I've always thought "although ..., but" construction is wrong, but as we can see, it is not, I would like to know the exception or rule which was followed in this question(original question of this thread)

Hi stunn3r

OA is correct. You misunderstood the structure of the question a bit.

(D) Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but rather fragmented into mobile semirigid plates.

The blue part is a main clause. The structure is not "although.... but" as you thought. The "but" is an element of the main clause "Earth's crust is neither X nor Y, but rather Z". <== This is the complete sentence that uses a correct idiom "neither X nor Y, but rather Z".

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 16:37
pqhai wrote:

Hi stunn3r

OA is correct. You misunderstood the structure of the question a bit.

(D) Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but rather fragmented into mobile semirigid plates.

The blue part is a main clause. The structure is not "although.... but" as you thought. The "but" is an element of the main clause "Earth's crust is neither X nor Y, but rather Z". <== This is the complete sentence that uses a correct idiom "neither X nor Y, but rather Z".

Hope it helps.

hmm .. you know what .. I think you are right ..

and yeah that helped .. Thanks man, all the although but sentences ghosts that were there around me can go rest now :-D

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 02:20
betterscore wrote:
Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a
crust that is not seamless or stationary, rather it is
fragmented into mobile semirigid plates.

(A) Despite its covering the entire planet, Earth has
a crust that is not seamless or stationary,
rather it is

(B) Despite the fact that it covers the entire planet,
Earth's crust is neither seamless nor is it
stationary, but is

(C) Despite covering the entire planet, Earth's crust
is neither seamless nor is it stationary, but
rather

(D) Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's
crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but
rather

(E) Although covering the entire planet, Earth has a
crust that is not seamless or stationary, but

The pronoun "it/its" throws us off, but it should refer to "crust", not "the Earth".

A incorrectly implies its refers to "Earth".

B has too many reduntant words. It correctly uses the pronoun to refer to crust, however. (and the "is" problem is the same as for C)

C has incorrect parallelism, "is neither...or" doesn't need another "is" before stationary. The "is it" there is redundant.

E incorrectly applies "covering" to Earth. "The earth is covering the entire planet"?? This doesn't make sense.

D correctly applies the pronoun to crust and has correct parallelism
MBA Blogger
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 37

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 20:54
Hi, Can't we directly separate the options between 'Despite' and 'Although'??3:2??
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2014, 07:44
Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a
crust that is not seamless or stationary, rather it is

fragmented into mobile semirigid plates.

(D) Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's
crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but
rather

(OG13 Q74) OA is D.

Question: "BUT" is a coordinating conjuction which joins two independent clauses. In choice D, "but rather fragmented into mobile semirigid plates" does not have a subject. Please explain this discrepancy.

Regards,
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2014, 07:44