Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 13:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

54% (02:18) correct 46% (01:29) wrong based on 57 sessions
Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could help reverse blockage of coronary arteries, the blood vessels that feed the heart.

(A) Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could
(B) Despite no foods having been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries when consumed, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can
(C) Although the consumption of no particular foods have been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that to refrain from eating certain foods could
(D) Although not proved that the consumption of any foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can
(E) Although it has not been proved that the consumption of any particular food will reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Although or Despite [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 20:43
E

(A) Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could
(B) Despite no foods having been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries when consumed, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can - clumsy
(C) Although the consumption of no particular foods have been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that to refrain from eating certain foods could
(D) Although not proved that the consumption of any foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can
(E) Although it has not been proved that the consumption of any particular food will reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can

In part one of the sentence we are looking for any particular 'food' that can help...
in the second part we are talking about ceratin 'foods' that could help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although or Despite [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 13:19
Hi guys,

IMO E

I'd eliminate A and B, because Despite means an objection, obstacle

(C) Although the consumption of no particular foods have been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that to refrain from eating certain foods could for me, the word "no" is not properly used
(D) Although not proved that the consumption of any foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can Althought not proved is wordy
(E) Although it has not been proved that the consumption of any particular food will reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can Hold

OA and Source?

Thanks

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Intern
Intern
Schools: ROSS(Accepted) CBS-J

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Although or Despite [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 11:20
IPO => E

My split:

despite is wrong => rule out A)/B)

see here
Despite his poverty, Owen graduated from HBS
=> "despite" will be used in case that there is obstacle, preventing the graduation

"Although" will be used in case that is not related with the obstacles.

C) & D) => change the meaning of the original

Fight Force For Future

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 506 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although or Despite [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 18:48
This post received
KUDOS
jugolo1 wrote:
Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could help reverse blockage of coronary arteries, the blood vessels that feed the heart.

(B) Despite no foods having been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries when consumed, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can

The choice is between A and E but E is better cuz it has correct S-V agreement that A lacks.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although or Despite [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 04:53
It's a lengthy text but good one.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q45 V16
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although or Despite [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 03:53
yea. E for me as well. Thanks for the explanation
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Although or Despite [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 09:23
between A and E but E is better.S.V.AG
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 01:59
jugolo1 wrote:

what does IT in option E refer to? I am very confused with the usage of Pronoun "IT" :dunnow

If something helps, you must appreciate!
I'll regard
Kudos as appreciation.. Thanks :-)

Current Student
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 15

Re: Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 05:08
Guys,

why D is wwrong??

I thought, option E is too wordy...
whts OA?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 05:56
bhavinshah5685 wrote:
Guys,

why D is wwrong??

whts OA?

Official answer is "E" .

In option D , Although not proved is wordy
But I have a doubt regarding IT in option E. I also marked D :oops:

If something helps, you must appreciate!
I'll regard
Kudos as appreciation.. Thanks :-)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 36

Re: Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 21:30
jugolo1 wrote:

(A) Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reversehardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could

All options other than B & E can e eliminated jus bcz of Sub Verb Agreement.. B - wordy&awkward, So E is my take..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

Re: Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 00:39
Quote:

ExuberantRahul wrote:
bhavinshah5685 wrote:
Guys,

why D is wwrong??

whts OA?

Official answer is "E" .

In option D , Although not proved is wordy
But I have a doubt regarding IT in option E. I also marked D :oops:

One thing that is wrong in D: "...that the consumption of any foods reverse hardening of the arteries..."
Here consumption is the singular subject for the verb reverse. So reverse is wrong here, it should be reverseS.

Moreover, the sentence " Although not proved that the consumption of any foods reverse hardening of the arteries" doesn't sound good as what is "not proved" is not clear by placing it at the starting of the sentence.

Hope this helps!

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 22:16
A. The consumption is singular therefore requires "reverses". For the same reason, eliminate C and D.
B. It is the consumption and not the food itself that might reverse the hardening of arteries. Eliminate B.

Answer: E

Impossible is nothing to God.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GPA: 3.98
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [2] , given: 17

Re: Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 02:33
This post received
KUDOS

I see a subject verb agreement issue here. consumption and reverse
having been is awkward and unecessary
we have few errors here, among them we spot the subject verb agreement (consumption-have been)
subject verb agreement once again
The main issue has been fixed, looks good

Either suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret.

If my posts are helping you show some love awarding a kudos

Re: Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2014, 02:33