Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite protests from some shareholders, committee members

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 75

Despite protests from some shareholders, committee members [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 10:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

44% (02:15) correct 56% (00:58) wrong based on 22 sessions
Despite protests from some shareholders, committee members have ordered the levels of department head involvement to be curtailed and that the advertising program be undertaken.

A. the levels of department head involvement to be curtailed and that the advertising program be
B. the levels of department head involvement to be curtailed and that the advertising program being
C. the measure of levels of department head involvement to be curtailed and the advertising program to be
D. the levels of department head involvement to be curtailed with their advertising program being
E. that the levels of department head involvement be curtailed and the advertising program be

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Shareholders [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 10:22
confuse between C and E. D is out as it distorts meaning with their. A and B uses 'that' which is little awkward. Will go for E as adding measures in C makes a doubt.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 989 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Shareholders [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 10:27
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '15, Duke '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Shareholders [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 10:34
I'll go with E
'to be' is not parallel with 'be' in the orig sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Shareholders [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 10:39
OA is E and perhaps the only answer choice that comes even close. But I have a doubt regarding E. You see this sentence depends on the parallelism between two clauses:

1. the levels of department head involvement to be curtailed and that
2. the advertising program be undertaken.

There is a "that" in the sentence that introduces a command subjunctive. So, the 2 clauses sould be parallel in structure, meaning to say that they should begin with the same word right? So shouldn't the correct answer choice be: "that the levels of department head involvement be curtailed and that the advertising program be".

Or, we can leave out the "that" in the second clause as the "that" before the first makes it unnecessary?

Last edited by gmatpapa on 14 May 2011, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: Shareholders [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 10:41
gmatpapa wrote:
Despite protests from some shareholders, committee members have ordered the levels of department head involvement to be curtailed and that the advertising program be undertaken.

A. the levels of department head involvement to be curtailed and that the advertising program be
B. the levels of department head involvement to be curtailed and that the advertising program being
C. the measure of levels of department head involvement to be curtailed and the advertising program to be
D. the levels of department head involvement to be curtailed with their advertising program being
E. that the levels of department head involvement be curtailed and the advertising program be

correct idiom is ordered that. More over with command subjunctive be + verb base form has to be used.

out of C and E
E fits the bill,excepting the requirement of that after the and makes it perfectly parallel.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Shareholders [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 10:47
amit2k9 wrote:

correct idiom is ordered that. More over with command subjunctive be + verb base form has to be used.

Your point is absolutely correct with ref to command subjunctive. What do you think of the parallelism?

that P be Q and that X be Y

or

that P be Q and X be Y

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1705 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Shareholders [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 03:25
Expert's post
Let us face the issue of parallelism squarely. In theory we indeed accept those that are structurally and logically identical as parallel.

Ex: He wants ‘to’ drink and ‘to’ dance. Here the infinitive ‘to’ is used in both arms

We also may say: He wants to drink and dance. Here the 'to' is elliptical in the second arm. This is perfectly acceptable

Ex. 2. He cried ‘that’ the horse flung him and ‘that’ it dumped him in the pit.

Compare this to

He cried that the horse flung him and dumped him in the pit.

Do you think the second version is un//?

Example 3.

The captain cautioned the soldiers that they should sleep well, that they should eat well and that they should drink well before they make the final ambush on the enemy -- ‘This is parallel though too wordy.
The captain cautioned the soldiers that they should sleep well, eat well and drink well before they make the final ambush on the enemy -- This is also perfectly parallel and even more elegant; In the process we have dropped so many repeated words . Isn’t this a better version? In parallelism, structure is subservient to logic, If I may say so. For the sake of concision, we often do drop some words such as ‘that’ and rightly so.

But I also do not deny that GMAT might reject a case for not repeating the connector word ‘that’ , but I just don’t remember one handily, since I don’t maintain an archive.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Shareholders [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 07:57
@Daagh,

How about this statement: "The court ordered that the prisoner be released and his belongings be returned"

Is this statement correct ||ism wise?

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 109

Re: Shareholders [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 08:18
+1 E

I think that you can ommit the first word in every element that is parallel, if that first word is the same in all the elements.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Shareholders   [#permalink] 17 May 2011, 08:18