Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 08:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 94 [2] , given: 116

Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 01:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:48) correct 16% (00:49) wrong based on 129 sessions
Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.
(A) the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be
(B) that seawater at popular beaches should be measured for their levels of bacteria, with the results being
(C) the measure of levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches and the results to be
(D) seawater measured at popular beaches for levels of bacteria, with their results
(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1550 [5] , given: 248

Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 02:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is a classic case of the use of the command subjunctive and of //ism.

(A) the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be -------1. you are missing the connector – that - in the first part while it is there in the second arm ; 2. First part is in infinitive and the second part is in subjunctive; unparallel.

(B) that seawater at popular beaches should be measured for their levels of bacteria, with the results being …. Should be measured is not part of a command subjunctive clause. This is neither fully subjunctive nor infinitive.

(C) the measure of levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches and the results to be -----ordered the measure and ordered the results - can these inanimate things be ordered?

(D) seawater measured at popular beaches for levels of bacteria, with their results ….1 Missing th all important connector –that-2. there is ambiguous. Does it stand for officials, or beaches or levels or bacteria?

(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results --- correct choice. It fulfills the three essential requirements of a command subjunctive namely 1. the mandatory or the bossy word namely -ordered -. 2. the connector word – that- and 3. the base form of the verb – be measured and ( be ) published -.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 04:32
Answer Seems to be
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E
because it is parallel.

Please Underline SC questions so that it will be easy to read. 8-)

In any case, i don't think it is 700 level question.

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 130 [1] , given: 75

Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.

(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results
Command subjunctive and parallelism
he ordered that X and Y; the command subjunctive effect should be in both the parts so we have to avoid the use of anything such as,to be, be etc..before Y.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern
WE 1: Big4 Assurance (2 years)
WE 2: Big4 M&A Advisory (2 years)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 06:03
E is best because subjuntive voice is used appropriately.

The point I wonder is the redundancy of "be" at the end of the sentence;

(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results (be)

shouldn't it be mandatory here?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 06:22
IMO E.
Not sure if its difficult enough to be posted in this section.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 08:30
daagh wrote:

(A) the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be -------1. you are missing the connector – that - in the first part while it is there in the second arm ; 2. First part is in infinitive and the second part is in subjunctive; unparallel.

(B) that seawater at popular beaches should be measured for their levels of bacteria, with the results being …. Should be measured is not part of a command subjunctive clause. This is neither fully subjunctive nor infinitive.

(C) the measure of levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches and the results to be -----ordered the measure and ordered the results - can these inanimate things be ordered?

(D) seawater measured at popular beaches for levels of bacteria, with their results ….1 Missing th all important connector –that-2. there is ambiguous. Does it stand for officials, or beaches or levels or bacteria?

(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results --- correct choice. It fulfills the three essential requirements of a command subjunctive namely 1. the mandatory or the bossy word namely -ordered -. 2. the connector word – that- and 3. the base form of the verb – be measured and ( be ) published -.

Sir,

Kindly clarify:

1. Should the base form of the word in case of command subjunctive be verb without infinitive for ex: measure, publish rather than ed form.
2. Is "that" not required before " the results" also.

Thanks

Vivek Dixit
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 09:03
daagh wrote:

Can someone explain why "that" is required here? Thx.
Intern
Intern

Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 10:26
plui31 wrote:
daagh wrote:

because of the form of subjuntive voice.

bossy word+that+subject+ base form of verb
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 16:49
frankiegar wrote:
plui31 wrote:

So you need "that" whenever there's a bossy word?
Intern
Intern

Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 22:01
plui31 wrote:
frankiegar wrote:
plui31 wrote:

So you need "that" whenever there's a bossy word?

yep thats the rule. I don't know whether there is an exception. Any expert comment?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 11:44
E uses the subjunctive mode correctly

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 00:43
..........Health officials have ordered THAT......................... what have they ordered ? ( 2 things )

1. The levels of bacteria be measured
2. The results be published

Vertical scan reveals only E fits the equation & are perfectly parallel.

Leading to E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 14:18
I chose (A), on the basis that E says:

"officials have ordered... the results published."

The second part of (E) appears to be missing a "be" to make it a complete clause. From my perspective, it is not grammatically correct to say "I order that the results published", but rather, "I ordered that the results be published."

Why is my thinking wrong? I guess I just have to know that we can infer that "be" is included in the second clause?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2013, 14:18