Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Subjunctive - sentence correction [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 11:46
Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.

(A) the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be
(B) that seawater at popular beaches should be measured for their levels of bacteria, with the results being
(C) the measure of levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches and the results to be
(D) seawater measured at popular beaches for levels of bacteria, with their results
(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

Re: Subjunctive - sentence correction [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 13:58
vyassaptarashi wrote:
Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.

(A) the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be
(B) that seawater at popular beaches should be measured for their levels of bacteria, with the results being
(C) the measure of levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches and the results to be
(D) seawater measured at popular beaches for levels of bacteria, with their results
(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results

Your post title says it all!

The subjunctive mood must be used whenever you have an order or recommendation verb. Some examples of such verbs are order, mandate, recommend, ask and demand.

To properly use the subjunctive, the sentence structure is:

[subject] [verb] that [next subject] [infinitive form of next verb, without "to"]

For example:

Fred's boss demands that Fred be on time for work.
Financial experts recommend that investors do research.
Our professor asks that we be prepared for class.

On to the question!

When you have long complex sentences, you should start by stripping away the extraneous material. So, paraphrasing the original:

Quote:
...state health officials... have ordered the levels ... to be measured and that the results be published.

If we've trained ourselves well, we see the verb "ordered" and immediately think "subjunctive time!" There has to be a "that" after ordered - eliminate A, C and D.

Now we scan B and E and note that B has "should be measured". You never use "should" with an order or recommendation verb (you're already making an order or recommendation, so "should" is redundant) - eliminate B.

Only E fixes our subjunctive issues - choose E!

If we wanted to double check the structure of E:

Quote:
...state health officials... have ordered that the levels ... be measured and the results published.

There should actually be a "be" before published (which means that either the question has been mistyped or the original question isn't perfect), but otherwise all good.

Stuart Kovinsky
stuart.kovinsky@kaplan.com
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
Toronto Office
1-800-KAP-TEST
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Subjunctive - sentence correction [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 16:50
I got E as well.

Great explanation.

Go Blue!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton..:)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Subjunctive - sentence correction [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2010, 02:07
I do not agree with the explanation above..
first of all a verb like " order" can take both command subjunctive or infinitive form so you cannot eliminate options which do not have subjunctive indicators for ex if there were an option that started with " TO " so you cannot eliminate it ..

other verbs that fall in this category are - order, require,ask,beg,intend,urge etc

so coming back to options

The colored part is the descriptive phrase describing state health officials so subject is state health official (SHO)
a)SHO ordered the levels of bacteria ...????-doesnt make sense
b)being is always a red flag eliminate it there is a 1% chance that on gmat being is the correct option
c)k.sentence has to use either TO( form ) or THAT ( command subjunctive )
d)same problem as was with a - option doesn';t make sense
e) starts with THAT so that is correct:
THAT x and y

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 15:59
geturdream wrote:
gmataspirant2009 wrote:
241. Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.

for the subjunctive mood, we need that. So eliminate A, C and D
In B should is wrong. And with the results being is also wrong.

E rectifies the problem. and it maintains ||ism
be measured .. be published

Either im confused or something is weird here. "be measured" I can see. but i cannot see "be published" I only can see: and the results published. Shouldn't we have another be? I got E by PEO but still this construction is weird for me. Am I missing something?
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 825 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 22:27
144144 wrote:
Either im confused or something is weird here. "be measured" I can see. but i cannot see "be published" I only can see: and the results published. Shouldn't we have another be? I got E by PEO but still this construction is weird for me. Am I missing something?

From what I gathered out of the discussion, and as you rightly doubted, it appears that option E is missing be at the end.

(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results be

~fluke

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 08:21
fluke wrote:
144144 wrote:

From what I gathered out of the discussion, and as you rightly doubted, it appears that option E is missing be at the end.

(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results be

Thanks for the support. ;)
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG10- 218 waste-disposal [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 17:38
HongHu wrote:
218. Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
In this sentence, English idiom requires one of two paradigms: x ordered y to be z‘ed or x ordered that y be z 'ed. Choice E, the best answer, employs the second of these paradigms. Choice A mixes the two paradigms
(levels... to be measured and that the results be published), producing a sentence that lacks parallelism. C
and D use neither paradigm and are thus unidiomatic. Also, in D, the pronoun their has no logical and
grammatical antecedent. Choice B unidiomatically employs the verb should (not in either paradigm); also, the
pronoun their does not agree in number with seawater, its most logical antecedent.

I strongly believe the word be is missed out in option E. E should read:

I also go with E and agree with the view that "be" is missing in E.
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1060

Kudos [?]: 2526 [2] , given: 164

GMAT Tests User
Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Hi all,

Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results published.

This is the sentence with the correct answer choice E. We all agree that this sentence uses the subjunctive verb and hence we need the construction “have ordered + that + Subjunctive verb”.

Choice E completely complies with that. The only thing here is that “be” is understood before “publishes”. It’s not that it is missing all together. It has just been kept understood and has not been repeated before “publishes” because it has already been used once before the first entity in the parallel list – “be measured”.

This is not an uncommon thing on GMAT SC. There are many sentences where we have seen that helping verbs are kept understood before the other entities in the list if that helping verb has been used before the first entity. This is the case with this one too.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2013, 07:02