Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 14:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (01:49) correct 26% (01:22) wrong based on 94 sessions
218. Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.
(A) the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be
(B) that seawater at popular beaches should be measured for their levels of bacteria, with the results being
(C) the measure of levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches and the results to be
(D) seawater measured at popular beaches for levels of bacteria, with their results
(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
In this sentence, English idiom requires one of two paradigms: x ordered y to be z‘ed or x ordered that y be z
'ed
. Choice E, the best answer, employs the second of these paradigms. Choice A mixes the two paradigms
(levels... to be measured and that the results be published), producing a sentence that lacks parallelism. C
and D use neither paradigm and are thus unidiomatic. Also, in D, the pronoun their has no logical and
grammatical antecedent. Choice B unidiomatically employs the verb should (not in either paradigm); also, the
pronoun their does not agree in number with seawater, its most logical antecedent.

I strongly believe the word be is missed out in option E. E should read:
(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results be
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 14:51
I had this problem before too. But it is better to use POE. (E) is the answer because it stands out best.
This question simply tests subjunctive mood.

(A) the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be
Missing 'that', unparallel.

(B) that seawater at popular beaches should be measured for their levels of bacteria, with the results being
'should' will not be in a subjunctive mood sentence. The use of 'with + noun + gerund' is almost always wrong.

(C) the measure of levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches and the results to be
Wrong use of subjunctive mood

(D) seawater measured at popular beaches for levels of bacteria, with their results
Wrong use of subjunctive mood

(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results
You may ask why there is no 'that' before 'the results' and why there is no 'be' after 'the results'. I believe this ellipsis is appropriate. Just look

Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and [that] the results [be] published.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 15:31
Yes that's exactly what my question is. I chose E too myself, but I wonder why there shouldn't be a "be" after the "results".
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 16:51
E)
This tests the subjunctive Verb use
Here the Subjunctive verb is "demand"
The sentence should be of the prototype
S + Subjunctive Verb + that + S + Verb (base form)

..... ordered that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results

The colors of the various parts of the above sentence match the colors of the prototype's parts.

Subjunctive - So you need the base form of verb 'is' - 'be'
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 21:23
In my opinion the correct way to say it is:

... ordered that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results be published.

But the choice is missing the "be" after results.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC OG11 bacteria in seawater [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2005, 07:10
Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.

A. the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be
B. that seawater at popular beaches should be measured for their levels of bacteria, with the results being
C. the measure of levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches and the results to be
D. seawater measured at popular beaches for levels of bacteria, with their results
E. that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2005, 07:19
Yes, ordered that is idiomatic. An ellipsis is used for ordered the results be published.

E.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC OG11 bacteria in seawater [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2005, 07:25
qpoo wrote:
Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.

A. the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be
B. that seawater at popular beaches should be measured for their levels of bacteria, with the results being
C. the measure of levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches and the results to be
D. seawater measured at popular beaches for levels of bacteria, with their results
E. that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results

This sentence tests the subjective clause.
ordered ( is a subjuntive verb) + O + to infinitive/to be
or ordered + that + S + base verb/ bare infinitive/ be
uhm, re-consider, E is correct coz it maintains the parallelism of the second form.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2005, 09:30
E for me too

the idiom ordered that is tested, as well as the subjunctive
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2005, 12:44
GMATT73 wrote:
Yes, ordered that is idiomatic. An ellipsis is used for ordered the results be published.

E.

the OA is E

OE: ordered that the levels ... be measured and (that) the results (be) published.

can you shed some light on the when to use / not use ellipsis ?

thanks
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC # Waste-disposal companies [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 12:21
14. Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.

hey ya......

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 17:50
E it is.
Wrong underlining though! :wink:

Cheers, Rahul.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC # Waste-disposal companies [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 18:45
nakib77 wrote:
14. Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.

subjunctive mood in E ordered that ......be .....and.... be ...... is correct
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 13:40
yup E is the OA.

now I understand why E is correct, but what is wrong with A. why did you scratch it out..... A also uses the subjunctive rule correctly.

hey ya......

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 14:02
yup E is the OA.

now I understand why E is correct, but what is wrong with A. why did you scratch it out..... A also uses the subjunctive rule correctly.

hey ya......

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2006, 22:01
I was going to pick E here, but then I saw that the word did not have be after published..

Does this not make the sentence incomplete?

Please explain?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC # Waste-disposal companies [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2006, 20:05
laxieqv wrote:

subjunctive mood in E ordered that ......be .....and.... be ...... is correct

Yes....It's E.
I remember it took me a long time to cope up with subjunctive mood.
I made so many mistakes related to 'subjunctive mood'. :oops:

Now I am little comfortable. :)

Regards,
Brajesh
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2006, 06:04
option E

need the conjuction "and" and (be) measured , "be" need not be repeated in the end
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
SC - levels of bacteria [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 22:58

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - levels of bacteria [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 00:48
I say E for the same reasons Nihit highlighted.

MBA Blog: University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management- http://unconventionalapplicant.blogspot.com/

Re: SC - levels of bacteria   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2008, 00:48