Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

despite the criticism in the early 1890's

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 18

despite the criticism in the early 1890's [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 18:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:54) correct 36% (00:57) wrong based on 28 sessions
the following question is from gmatprep question pack 1. in my point of view, the event is from the past so future tense does not work here, B is out. conditional "would" is used with present verb form "use", which is incorrect so A is out. D is just wordy. in E "diminishing" incorrectly modifies journalist. correct me if i am wrong or is there another way to attack this question.

thanks in advance
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

question pack.png
question pack.png [ 514.36 KiB | Viewed 2383 times ]

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3046 [0], given: 890

Re: despite the criticism in the early 1890's [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 12:55
Expert's post
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 5

Re: despite the criticism in the early 1890's [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 22:34
Expert's post
alchemist009 wrote:
the following question is from gmatprep question pack 1. in my point of view, the event is from the past so future tense does not work here, B is out. conditional "would" is used with present verb form "use", which is incorrect so A is out. D is just wordy. in E "diminishing" incorrectly modifies journalist. correct me if i am wrong or is there another way to attack this question.

thanks in advance

That's an impressive review of this problem! The tense issue is the big problem in A/B here both within the clause, use/would and use/will, and in the sentence as a whole, present tense "use" where "used" is required. D and E both have a modifier problem because "of the..." is modifying 1890s instead of criticism. Also, D contains the word "being", which is almost never used correctly on the GMAT.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 543

Re: despite the criticism in the early 1890's [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 02:09
In this question, the IF-then construct isn't correct in option A and B its missing a comma? Can we eliminate the answer choice because of that issue?

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1198 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: despite the criticism in the early 1890's [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 02:25
fozzzy wrote:
In this question, the IF-then construct isn't correct in option A and B its missing a comma? Can we eliminate the answer choice because of that issue?

Nope.

When form "the past" you make a prediction looking forward, "would" is correct; so B is out.

In A, the conditional clause is not correct even if you add a comma. The correct form is

"if + simple Past, + would", A uses the present "use", so even with the comma both A and B are not correct.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 614 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: despite the criticism in the early 1890's [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 02:33
fozzzy wrote:

GMAC doesnt tests on PUNCTUATION...so never eliminate a choice on the basis of punctuation.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Despite the criticism in the early 1890’s [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 05:12
Despite the criticism in the early 1890’s that if journalists use pictures the intellectual quality of publications would diminish, by the late 1890’s photographs were found in most newspapers and magazines.

(A) that if journalists use pictures the intellectual quality of publications would diminish,

(B) that if journalists use pictures it will diminish the intellectual quality of publications,

(C) that the use of pictures by journalists would diminish the intellectual quality of publications,

(D) of the intellectual quality of publications being diminished by the use of pictures by journalists,

(E) of the use of pictures by journalists diminish the intellectual quality of publications,

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 56

Re: Despite the criticism in the early 1890’s [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 05:31
Despite the criticism in the early 1890’s that if journalists use pictures the intellectual quality of publications would diminish, by the late 1890’s photographs were found in most newspapers and magazines.

(A) that if journalists use pictures the intellectual quality of publications would diminish,
Parallelism not maintained. That clause is followed by an if-clause, which i think is a wrong construction.
(B) that if journalists use pictures it will diminish the intellectual quality of publications,
placeholder 'it' has no proper antecendent. Parallelism not maintained (both tense and construction)
(C) that the use of pictures by journalists would diminish the intellectual quality of publications,
Parallelism perfectly maintained between "the use of pictures" and "photographs" and also between the verbs
(D) of the intellectual quality of publications being diminished by the use of pictures by journalists,
too many errors in this construction. It is not direct. Usage of "by the use of pictures by journalists" conveys a wrong meaning. Usage of 'being' is not needed.
(E) of the use of pictures by journalists diminish the intellectual quality of publications
SV agreement error. Use should be followed by diminishes. 'Use of pictures by journalists' conveys a different meaning.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 210

Re: Despite the criticism in the early 1890’s [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 09:44

IMO : THAT IF construction is fine. That + (clause)
Problem with A is hypothetical subjunctive form of then statement is used without past form of verb in if statement. -- I rejected A because of this reason.

(B) that if journalists use pictures it will diminish the intellectual quality of publications, -- it is trying to express idea rather it should refer to some noun. further there is no proper antecedent of it.

(C) that the use of pictures by journalists would diminish the intellectual quality of publications, -- good.

(D) of the intellectual quality of publications being diminished by the use of pictures by journalists, -- criticism of ... being -- wrong

(E) of the use of pictures by journalists diminish the intellectual quality of publications -- fragmented -- verb is not expected in such construction.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 118

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Despite the criticism in the early 1890’s [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 10:05
The event is from the past so future tense does not work here, B is out. conditional "would" is used with present verb form "use", which is incorrect so A is out. D is just wordy. in E "diminishing" incorrectly modifies journalist.

@ someone from GMAT CLUB

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

despite the criticism in the early 1890's [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 10:31
JusTLucK04 wrote:
The event is from the past so future tense does not work here, B is out. conditional "would" is used with present verb form "use", which is incorrect so A is out. D is just wordy

D says: Despite the criticism in the early 1890’s of the intellectual quality of publications... That is incorrect, because criticism was not about the intellectual quality of publications; criticism was about the use of pictures.

Quote:
in E "diminishing" incorrectly modifies journalist.

I didn't notice diminishing in E. E says: Despite the criticism in the early 1890’s of the use of pictures by journalists diminish the intellectual quality of publications. The issue is that despite is a proposition and so, cannot be followed by a main verb; however here, diminish is used as a main verb. This makes the sentence ungrammatical.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

despite the criticism in the early 1890's   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2014, 10:31