Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 18:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite the fact that the health-inspection procedures for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 675 [0], given: 781

Despite the fact that the health-inspection procedures for [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2003, 19:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

40% (01:41) correct 60% (01:21) wrong based on 20 sessions
Despite the fact that the health-inspection procedures for catering establishment are more stringent than those for ordinary restaurants, more of the cases of food poisoning reported to the city health department were brought on by banquets served by catering services than were brought on my restaurant meals.

Which of the following, if true, helps explain the apparent paradox in the statement above?

a. A significantly larger number of people eat in restaurants than attend catered banquets in any given time period.
b. Catering establishments know how many people they expect to serve, and therefore are less likely than restaurants to have, and serve, leftover food, a major source of food poisoning.
c. Many restaurants provide catering services for banquets in addition to serving individual meals.
d. The number of reported food-poisioning cases at catered baquets is unrelated to whether the meal is served on the catererтАЩs or the clientтАЩs premises.
e. People are unlikely to make a connection between a meal they have eaten and a subsequent illness unless the illness strikes a group who are in communication with one another.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 675 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2003, 23:31
stolyar wrote:
I give my humble vote for E.

Why not C?
Please explain your choice.

thanks
praetorian
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2003, 15:42
[quote="praetorian123"][quote="stolyar"]I give my humble vote for E.[/quote]

Why not C?
Please explain your choice.

thanks
praetorian[/quote]

It's about catering vs. restaurants, it doesn't matter if there are companies who offer both services. Moreover, if this situation were confusing, it would underestimate the number of "catering cases", because the stem suggests that these companies are better known as restaurants.

I'd vote for E, because people who go to banquets use to know one another but people who go to restaurants mostly don't.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: CR : Health Inspection [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 03:28
I choose C. Wanted to reopen this thread...any ideas?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: CR : Health Inspection [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 05:39
E.

not C. Many restaurants provide catering services for banquets in addition to serving individual meals.

Because if C was true many resturants would have similar food poisoning cases( concidering they server same food as that served in resturant).

E brings about the reason why more cases are reported. It might be true that resturants server more shitty food, but E is trying to bring about another Cause for the effect.

Thats what i think .ting tong

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : Health Inspection [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 07:23
Praetorian wrote:
Despite the fact that the health-inspection procedures for catering establishment are more stringent than those for ordinary restaurants, more of the cases of food poisoning reported to the city health department were brought on by banquets served by catering services than were brought on my restaurant meals.

Which of the following, if true, helps explain the apparent paradox in the statement above?

a. A significantly larger number of people eat in restaurants than attend catered banquets in any given time period.>>> doesn't resolve the paradox
b. Catering establishments know how many people they expect to serve, and therefore are less likely than restaurants to have, and serve, leftover food, a major source of food poisoning.>>> Supports the caterers, so doesn't help the paradox
c. Many restaurants provide catering services for banquets in addition to serving individual meals.>>> What if many restaurants provide catering services...given is "More cases are reported forcatering establishment than for ordinary restaurants">>> It doesn't show why despite the stringent standards, catering services(including restaurants) have more cases..
d. The number of reported food-poisioning cases at catered baquets is unrelated to whether the meal is served on the catererтАЩs or the clientтАЩs premises. >>> Out of scope
e. People are unlikely to make a connection between a meal they have eaten and a subsequent illness unless the illness strikes a group who are in communication with one another.>>> Correct
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 3

Re: CR : Health Inspection [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 04:56
nverma wrote:
Praetorian wrote:

a. A significantly larger number of people eat in restaurants than attend catered banquets in any given time period.>>> doesn't resolve the paradox
b. Catering establishments know how many people they expect to serve, and therefore are less likely than restaurants to have, and serve, leftover food, a major source of food poisoning.>>> Supports the caterers, so doesn't help the paradox
c. Many restaurants provide catering services for banquets in addition to serving individual meals.>>> What if many restaurants provide catering services...given is "More cases are reported forcatering establishment than for ordinary restaurants">>> It doesn't show why despite the stringent standards, catering services(including restaurants) have more cases..
d. The number of reported food-poisioning cases at catered baquets is unrelated to whether the meal is served on the catererтАЩs or the clientтАЩs premises. >>> Out of scope
e. People are unlikely to make a connection between a meal they have eaten and a subsequent illness unless the illness strikes a group who are in communication with one another.>>> Correct

E it shud be
nice CR :|

consider cudos if you like my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 112

Re: CR : Health Inspection [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 00:39
understood e only
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

Re: CR : Health Inspection [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 17:38
good CR with an excellent trap choice.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 17

Re: CR : Health Inspection [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 04:34
nverma wrote:
Praetorian wrote:

hi there,
is there any OE for this question?
Is it really an official GMAT question? if yes, what year?
I know E is correct, but why C is not? dont tell me that otherwise the number of food poisoning for restaurants would be great too.
cuz what if the food restaurants serve for their indoor customers and the food they serve in banquets differ in their quality?
then the food poisoning cases are in direct relation with the restaurants, while caterings may be considered responsible for them (since it happened in a banquet).
how can we be sure that C is incorrect plz????
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [0], given: 122

Re: CR : Health Inspection [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 21:31
omraan wrote:
hi there,
I know E is correct, but why C is not? dont tell me that otherwise the number of food poisoning for restaurants would be great too.
cuz what if the food restaurants serve for their indoor customers and the food they serve in banquets differ in their quality?
then the food poisoning cases are in direct relation with the restaurants, while caterings may be considered responsible for them (since it happened in a banquet).

Hi Omraan.

Your thinking is right. But that's why C is wrong.

Basic knowledge of Resolve the Paradox question in GMAT

Just a small remind about resolve the paradox question in GMAT. According to "Power Score CR Bible - Resolve the Paradox question", to solve this kind of question, you must select the answer choice that contains a possible cause of the situation. So, when examining answers, ask you self if the answer choice could lead to the situation in the stimulus. If so, the answer is correct. If the answer is HALF RIGHT, HALF WRONG, the answer is INCORRECT.

Let examine C:

Before examine C, I just want to repeat "your thinking is right". C does not assume the qualities of catering services and of restaurants are the same (that's the case everybody assumes and concludes C is wrong, but that's only half of the answer). Definitely, there's a possibility that qualities of two services are different.

If qualities are the same. What happens? if the number of food poisoning of catering services is high, that of restaurants would be high too --> The paradox couldn't be solved.
If qualities are different. if the number of food poisoning of catering services is high, that of restaurants maybe not high --> The paradox could be solved

That's why C is half right, half wrong. Hence, it's clearly not the answer.

Takeaway:

1. The right answer in Resolve the Paradox question could lead to the situation in the stimulus.
2. The answer that is half right, half wrong, is always wrong.

I hope my post helps you.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 17

Re: CR : Health Inspection [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 00:14
pqhai wrote:
omraan wrote:
hi there,

Hi Omraan.

Your thinking is right. But that's why C is wrong.

Basic knowledge of Resolve the Paradox question in GMAT

Just a small remind about resolve the paradox question in GMAT. According to "Power Score CR Bible - Resolve the Paradox question", to solve this kind of question, you must select the answer choice that contains a possible cause of the situation. So, when examining answers, ask you self if the answer choice could lead to the situation in the stimulus. If so, the answer is correct. If the answer is HALF RIGHT, HALF WRONG, the answer is INCORRECT.

Let examine C:

Before examine C, I just want to repeat "your thinking is right". C does not assume the qualities of catering services and of restaurants are the same (that's the case everybody assumes and concludes C is wrong, but that's only half of the answer). Definitely, there's a possibility that qualities of two services are different.

If qualities are the same. What happens? if the number of food poisoning of catering services is high, that of restaurants would be high too --> The paradox couldn't be solved.
If qualities are different. if the number of food poisoning of catering services is high, that of restaurants maybe not high --> The paradox could be solved

That's why C is half right, half wrong. Hence, it's clearly not the answer.

Takeaway:

1. The right answer in Resolve the Paradox question could lead to the situation in the stimulus.
2. The answer that is half right, half wrong, is always wrong.

I hope my post helps you.

Sure it helps,
Tnx indeed!
good answer, well structured and to the point!
I got it!
TNX again
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [0], given: 122

Re: Despite the fact that the health-inspection procedures for [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 00:17
Hi Omraan.
You're very welcome!
Regards.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: Despite the fact that the health-inspection procedures for   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2013, 00:17