Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite the fact that the health-inspection procedures for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Despite the fact that the health-inspection procedures for [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 16:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Despite the fact that the health-inspection procedures for catering establishment are more stringent than those for ordinary restaurants, more of the cases of food poisoning reported to the city health department were brought on by banquets served by catering services than were brought on my restaurant meals.

Which of the following, if true, helps explain the apparent paradox in the statement above?

a. A significantly larger number of people eat in restaurants than attend catered banquets in any given time period.
b. Catering establishments know how many people they expect to serve, and therefore are less likely than restaurants to have, and serve, leftover food, a major source of food poisoning.
c. Many restaurants provide catering services for banquets in addition to serving individual meals.
d. The number of reported food-poisioning cases at catered baquets is unrelated to whether the meal is served on the caterer’s or the client’s premises.
e. People are unlikely to make a connection between a meal they have eaten and a subsequent illness unless the illness strikes a group who are in communication with one another.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Re: cr [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 17:38
I would go with C

stallone wrote:
Despite the fact that the health-inspection procedures for catering establishment are more stringent than those for ordinary restaurants, more of the cases of food poisoning reported to the city health department were brought on by banquets served by catering services than were brought on my restaurant meals.

Which of the following, if true, helps explain the apparent paradox in the statement above?

a. A significantly larger number of people eat in restaurants than attend catered banquets in any given time period. Does not help
b. Catering establishments know how many people they expect to serve, and therefore are less likely than restaurants to have, and serve, leftover food, a major source of food poisoning. Can't be true, because of stringent health-inspection procedures
c. Many restaurants provide catering services for banquets in addition to serving individual meals. My Answer
d. The number of reported food-poisioning cases at catered baquets is unrelated to whether the meal is served on the caterer’s or the client’s premises. Out of scope
e. People are unlikely to make a connection between a meal they have eaten and a subsequent illness unless the illness strikes a group who are in communication with one another. Out of scope
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 1

Re: cr [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 17:38
stallone wrote:

a. A significantly larger number of people eat in restaurants than attend catered banquets in any given time period.
b. Catering establishments know how many people they expect to serve, and therefore are less likely than restaurants to have, and serve, leftover food, a major source of food poisoning.
c. Many restaurants provide catering services for banquets in addition to serving individual meals.
d. The number of reported food-poisioning cases at catered baquets is unrelated to whether the meal is served on the caterer’s or the client’s premises.
e. People are unlikely to make a connection between a meal they have eaten and a subsequent illness unless the illness strikes a group who are in communication with one another.

# of FP cases from Catering > # of FP cases from Restaurants

Rules for C >>>> Rules for R

How?

C is perfect. If a lot of restaurants are doing catering, they possibly are contributing to the increased number in FP cases by banquet meals.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: cr [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 13:29
Hi guys,

IMO E

a. A significantly larger number of people eat in restaurants than attend catered banquets in any given time period. it doesn't say anything about the paradox
b. Catering establishments know how many people they expect to serve, and therefore are less likely than restaurants to have, and serve, leftover food, a major source of food poisoning. it doesn't say anything about the paradox
c. Many restaurants provide catering services for banquets in addition to serving individual meals. some of you picked this one. For me this answer explains why restaurants report more poisoning cases
d. The number of reported food-poisioning cases at catered baquets is unrelated to whether the meal is served on the caterer’s or the client’s premises. nothing to do with the paradox
e. People are unlikely to make a connection between a meal they have eaten and a subsequent illness unless the illness strikes a group who are in communication with one another. For me, this is the right one. Let's imagine that there are the same neumber of cases both in restaurants and banquets. While people who were poisoned in restuarants do not say anything because they are not sure where they ate the bad-state food, people who were poisoned in banquets are able to make a clear conection.

OA and source?

Thanks

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: cr [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 14:04
IMO E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: cr [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 00:23
E as well.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: cr [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 01:14
Why D is out of scope? It's possible that client's premises are on the blame
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: cr [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 08:40
stallone wrote:

a. A significantly larger number of people eat in restaurants than attend catered banquets in any given time period.--------number of people does not explain the paradox the stringency of checks is in question here not the number of people in diff categories
b. Catering establishments know how many people they expect to serve, and therefore are less likely than restaurants to have, and serve, leftover food, a major source of food poisoning.------this rather strengthens the case of catering establishments[color=#000080][/color]
c. Many restaurants provide catering services for banquets in addition to serving individual meals.this helps solve the paradox in the best manner less stringently checked food is findng its way in the larger pool of catering food which has better checking process
d. The number of reported food-poisioning cases at catered baquets is unrelated to whether the meal is served on the caterer’s or the client’s premises.doesnt really matter where the food is served doesn t help to resolve the paradox
e. People are unlikely to make a connection between a meal they have eaten and a subsequent illness unless the illness strikes a group who are in communication with one another. don t think this makes any sense in the context of solving the paradox. If i have an illness i go to the doctor doctor tests me and tells me I have either A B or C ailment. the reason for being in communication with others does not arise
Re: cr   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2008, 08:40