Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, IIMA (PGPX), IIMB (EMBA) & IIMC..
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 24

Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 18:12
Bingo C. (1m 7s)

(C) the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably

Judges and partners correctly refer to Women and 'proportion' is singular..
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 109

Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 11:41
+1 C

D cannot be the answer because "yet" subordinates the clause. In this sense, you have two subordinate clauses ("despite the increasing...", and "yet the proportion of..."), but you don't have a main clause. You always need a main clause in a sentence.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 360 [0], given: 13

Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 04:25
Solution

1) Concision preferred; prefer Adverb (comparably) over prepositional phrase (to a comparable extent). so A & D are out
2) Also, note that has is required instead of have, since ‘proportion’ is singular. so A & B are ruled out
3) Lastly, we could have chosen option D; because it reduces the wordiness by changing noun clause (who are women) ==> noun Adjective i.e. noun that act as adjective for noun they are attached with (in this case Women Judge). But this option is wrong, because ts starts with ‘yet’ with ‘despite’ at beginning of sentence, ‘yet’ is redundant. so D & E are out

Thus, C is correct. Although best answer could have been D if there was no 'yet' in the start

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 269

Kudos [?]: 1721 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 07:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The issue here is not the right answer but the outlook of GMAC. We thought that the grammar of the relative pronouns’ obedience to the 'noun - touch' rule is an important one, rather even an inexorable one. But in this issue, OG has made it clear that grammar is compromisable to context.

The question is now whether how far can we go by such a blatant flexibility of OG? The irony is that even this may change tomorrow. But that is GMAT for you, the big boss.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 14:08
Yeah, correct with C

B has agreement problem, and D has structure problem(despite...yet...)

Although C seems redundant, it at least has no grammatical error
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 20:21
I got B.. Still not able to understand why C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 21:54
papillon86 wrote:
Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law school and passing bar examinations, the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women have not risen to a comparable extent.

(A) the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women have not risen to a comparable extent
(B) the proportion of women judges and partners at major law firms have not risen comparably
(C) the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably
(D) yet the proportion of women judges and partners at major law firms has not risen to a comparable extent
(E) yet the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably

Please support with explanations!!
And also explain wy the remianing options are incorrect.

Thanks

Going with C. "Despite" is already present in 1st clause, hence "yet" is not requried in successive clause. Eliminate D and E. A and B distort meaning of the sentence. C wins.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 01:34
Ans- C

"The Proportion of Judges and Partners" requires "has" and not "have". Hence option A,B are out.
Using "Yet" along with "Despite" is reduntant & .Hence option D,E are out.

The correct option is C.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 02:19
In choice C, the relative pronoun who is modifying law firms. How does that make the answer correct?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 17:01
I was confused on to a comparable to comparably, c or d. it should be C, yet is redundant.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 23:34
C ..because proportion demand singular verb and Yet is redundant other choice.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 02:20
Hi everyone,

I picked B

I think the main verb should agree with the object of the preposition. "Have" is suitable for "judges and partners"

C: out because of "has"
D and E: out because of "yet"
A: Wordy and out because of "who are women"
B is concise

I found the sentence "an increasing proportion of women are attaining higher education" on the gao.gov

However, I am not sure about the correct usage of "proportion" in GMAT. Could someone give an expert opinion?

Thanks,
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 23:38
According to me the concept behind the answer choice C is that:

When you have the subject as 'totality' in itself, then the verb is always singular.

Eg 1: The majority of the students in this class are hard workers.

Eg 2: In the senate, the majority has coalesced into a unified voting block.

Hence the correct answer, in this question - the proportion is - the subject which is in itself the totality.

Hence the correct answer is C.

Options D and E, are out of the box because of using redundant words.

Hence the correct answer is C.

Hope this helps.

'The best way to thank or appreciate efforts on this forum is to give Kudos.'

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 1400 [0], given: 122

Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 00:00
C is correct.

Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law school and passing bar examinations, the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women have not risen to a comparable extent.

(A) the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women have not risen to a comparable extent
Wrong. "The proportion...........have.............."

(B) the proportion of women judges and partners at major law firms have not risen comparably
Wrong. "The proportion...........have.............."

Correct. "the proportion................has ................."

(D) yet the proportion of women judges and partners at major law firms has not risen to a comparable extent
Wrong. Despite never comes with "yet" or "but'.

(E) yet the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably
Wrong. Despite never comes with "yet" or "but'.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 136

Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 02:32
pqhai wrote:
C is correct.

Correct. "the proportion................has ................."

I would like to reinforce the concept of noun modifiers modifying slightly far away noun. Relative clause " who are women" modifying the noun phrase - "judges and partners at major law firms" correctly.

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 14

Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 10:10
Can anyone please explain me how to rule out option E over C ?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 385

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 02:31
veenu08 wrote:
Can anyone please explain me how to rule out option E over C ?

A and B can be ruled out due to "have" as proprotion is a singular term

If we use yet, then despite and yet become redundant, hence options D and E can be ruled out ...
Does this suffice? :)

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 40

Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 09:23
Has to be C.

The proportion.... has....

(eliminate everything with have since proportion is singular)

Also keep in mind that "at major law firms" is a prepositional phrase and therefore doesn't necessarily mess up subject-verb agreement as if it were a clause.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 23:18
As my doubt has not been answered in the previous posts, I am posting the same here.

As per MGMAT SC Guide, when we look at SV agreement we avoid the modifiers generally(Subordinate Clauses/ING/ED/OF).

However , when the subject is Quantity/fractions/SANAM(some-any-none-all-more/most) , we see the OF-CONSTRUCTION to decide on the verb.

So, in this question as the subject is "Proportion" we have to see the OF-construction which is PLURAL .
So Why Option(B). is not correct.

By solving this question I have realized that there is a deviation in MGMAT SC guide from what GMAC thinks.

Plz advise

Rgds,
TGC !

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 09:30
TGC wrote:
As my doubt has not been answered in the previous posts, I am posting the same here.

As per MGMAT SC Guide, when we look at SV agreement we avoid the modifiers generally(Subordinate Clauses/ING/ED/OF).

However , when the subject is Quantity/fractions/SANAM(some-any-none-all-more/most) , we see the OF-CONSTRUCTION to decide on the verb.

So, in this question as the subject is "Proportion" we have to see the OF-construction which is PLURAL .
So Why Option(B). is not correct.

By solving this question I have realized that there is a deviation in MGMAT SC guide from what GMAC thinks.

Plz advise

Rgds,
TGC !

I do not think there is a conflict here in the sentence.

Try to think of it as a simple sentence. For example:

The proportion of students who have passed has not increased. Here sanam pronoun is properly being used so have correctly agrees with students, But proportion should be singular.
or
the proportion of students have/has not increased.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Re: Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2013, 09:30