Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 18:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:45) correct 38% (00:55) wrong based on 535 sessions
Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law school and passing bar examinations, the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women have not risen to a comparable extent.

(A) the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women have not risen to a comparable extent
(B) the proportion of women judges and partners at major law firms have not risen comparably
(C) the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably
(D) yet the proportion of women judges and partners at major law firms has not risen to a comparable extent
(E) yet the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 43
Page: 42
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Law firms who are women [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 20:10
Nsentra wrote:
which one is better?

Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law school and passing bar examinations, the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women have not risnen to a comparable extent.

I'll spare you wrong answers besides these two:

C) the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably

D) yet the proportion of women judges and partners at major law firms has not risen to a comparable extent.

I will go with D

In C, who is not having an antecedent correctly...It may refer to firms
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 20:22
We do not want you to eliminate answer choices for us (you are not going to do the same in actual test, are you ?) so next time please post all five.

If possible, please post all 5 options and let us pick and explain the correct one.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 20:35
can "yet" come after "despite"? I guess not.

Hence I would say C. I think "who" refers to "female judges and partners"

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Law firms who are women [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 23:42
trivikram wrote:
Nsentra wrote:
which one is better?

Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law school and passing bar examinations, the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women have not risnen to a comparable extent.

I'll spare you wrong answers besides these two:

C) the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably

D) yet the proportion of women judges and partners at major law firms has not risen to a comparable extent.

I will go with D

In C, who is not having an antecedent correctly...It may refer to firms

I am with D too for the same reasons.

Also, "to a comparable extent" is used in the original choice, hence, I'd keep that instead of some "comparably" mumbo-jumbo... is there even such a word?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 02:57
i think it's probably A, B or E :)
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 05:12
despite and yet are redundant contradictions.

This leaves (C).

"who" in (C) doesn't need a specific antecendant because it refers to the proportion of judges AND partners...(plural)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 07:48
C
I concur with GMATT73. In D ..despite ..yet ...to a comparable extent ..sounds wordy and redundant
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 07:54
anindyat wrote:
C
I concur with GMATT73. In D ..despite ..yet ...to a comparable extent ..sounds wordy and redundant

Guys, sorry for not posting all the answer. I didn't understand just these 2 choices and wanted to get your opinion on it. I will post all answers next time.

OA is C. But I don't understand how this sentence can be correct when "law firms" is directly followed by "who are women" making it ambiougous who the sentence is talking about?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 07:56
Yipe the first thing that caught my eye - the redundancy of despite and yet

Going with C

Last edited by g.matter on 29 Oct 2006, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 07:56
:o

MATT/U2lover.....any inputs please
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 10:05
trivikram wrote:
:o

MATT/U2lover.....any inputs please

no idea honestly... however, I guess Despite and Yet do the damage in D... somehow didn't see "yet"

good one
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 696 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 06:54
I doubt OA is B?

Reasons:
1. In A, C and E: major law firms who - this part is weired. Incorrect.
2. In B:
The proportion - singular. So, HAS is required. Therefore, D should be the OA.

papillon86 wrote:
Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law school and passing bar examinations, the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women have not risen to a comparable extent.

(A) the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women have not risen to a comparable extent
(B) the proportion of women judges and partners at major law firms have not risen comparably
(C) the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably
(D) yet the proportion of women judges and partners at major law firms has not risen to a comparable extent
(E) yet the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably

Please support with explanations!!
And also explain wy the remianing options are incorrect.

Thanks

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 08:14
i will go with option D . OA please
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 6

Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 07:27
I did not pick (D) because 'Despite' already conveys a constrast....we dont need 'yet' again....'yet' is redundant.

My pick is (B).

what is the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 11:09
papillon86 wrote:

Please support with explanations!!
And also explain wy the remianing options are incorrect.

Thanks

This question seem weirdo. A , C, E are out. Between B and D both have own problem, D suffers redundancy despite .. yet. B suffers subject-verb agreement. I go with 'B' subject-verb has higher order than reudndancy. wats OA and esp its Oexplanation??? wats the source of this question?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 11:31
I will go for D .. though i am not sure about use of "yet" but subject here is "the proportion" so have will no do.. has should be used.

And one more thing i doubt about B is " risen comparably "
" to a comparable extent" seems better.

Please post OA.. this is tricky.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 696 [1] , given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 20:32
This post received
KUDOS
This is from OG12. OE is:

Agreement; Rhetorical construction

When a number of plural nouns appear in phrases between a singular subject and the verb, it can be easy to overlook the true subject of the verb. Here, judges, partners, firms, and women all occur between the singular subject, proportion, and the verb, which should also be singular, has risen. Concise expression is particularly important in a long construction; to a comparable extent may be more concisely expressed as comparably.

A Plural verb, have risen, does not agree with the singular subject, proportion.

B Have risen does not agree with proportion; here, women applies only to judges, not to partners at major law firms.

C Correct. In this sentence, has risen agrees with proportion, and comparably is more
concise than to a comparable extent. The modifying clause who are women follows
(1) judges and (2) partners at major law firms as closely as is possible given the content of the sentence; this positioning has the virtue of being clear in its meaning.

D The contrast has already been introduced by despite, so the addition of yet is illogical and ungrammatical; to a comparable extent is wordy.

E Despite introduces the contrast; adding yet is illogical and results in an ungrammatical construction.

The correct answer is C.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 07:08
ykaiim wrote:
This is from OG12. OE is:

Agreement; Rhetorical construction

When a number of plural nouns appear in phrases between a singular subject and the verb, it can be easy to overlook the true subject of the verb. Here, judges, partners, firms, and women all occur between the singular subject, proportion, and the verb, which should also be singular, has risen. Concise expression is particularly important in a long construction; to a comparable extent may be more concisely expressed as comparably.

A Plural verb, have risen, does not agree with the singular subject, proportion.

B Have risen does not agree with proportion; here, women applies only to judges, not to partners at major law firms.

C Correct. In this sentence, has risen agrees with proportion, and comparably is more
concise than to a comparable extent. The modifying clause who are women follows
(1) judges and (2) partners at major law firms as closely as is possible given the content of the sentence; this positioning has the virtue of being clear in its meaning.

D The contrast has already been introduced by despite, so the addition of yet is illogical and ungrammatical; to a comparable extent is wordy.

E Despite introduces the contrast; adding yet is illogical and results in an ungrammatical construction.

The correct answer is C.

I don't understand how "women" in "the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women" refers to both judges AND partners.

and how "women" in "the proportion of women judges and partners at major law firms" refers ONLY to judges.

After all, in both the sentences, 'AND' connects judges and partners.
I would really appreciate if somebody could clarify.

Consider +1 Kudos if you find my post useful. Even otherwise :D
Please feel free to point out any errors in whatever I post.

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,Nanyang Business school, CBS,

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 8

Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 01:27
IMO B

(A) the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women have not risen to a comparable extent - Grammatically correct but can be made more concise

- Grammatically Correct and most Succinct

- Grammatically Correct but " women judges and partners at major law firms" in B is better than "judges and partners at major law firms who are women" in C

(D) yet the proportion of women judges and partners at major law firms has not risen to a comparable extent - Use of "yet" with the presence of "Despite" in previous clause is wrong

(E) yet the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably - Use of "yet" with the presence of "Despite" in previous clause is wrong

whats the OA??

Working without expecting fruit helps in mastering the art of doing fault-free action !

Re: SC:Despite the increasing number of women   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2011, 01:27