Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2293 [40]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [12]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2798 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of prime minister [#permalink]
Kudos
On the second thought, D has an error- has been in last century. It would have been correct if iyt used "had been" in the last century.
Hence C is the best choice.
(On exam day, I wnt have the time for second thought :( )
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [2]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of prime minister [#permalink]
Kudos
I'll re-post the question because its not underlined and may be confusing:

Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of prime minister, the status of women in Pakistan is little changed from how it was in the last century.

(A) is little changed from how it was
    (B) is a little change from how it was
    (C) has changed little
    (D) has changed little from how it has been
    (E) is little changed from the way it was

Several sources indicate that (C) should be the correct answer. Yet I want to discuss the meaning of the sentence: Shouldn't we compare the status of women at present to their status in last century? And if it's true, how can (C) be correct?

(C) only says that status has changed in last century, yet logical structure of the sentence is different

Ponder this: In first part of the sentence we deal with some recent development in Pakistan. In second part of the sentence we should somehow establish a connection between recent events and women's status in last century. Something like this -

Although woman has been elected recently, in general, the status of women is quite the same as it was in last century.

The problem is, there are no 100% winners among answer choices here - every answer has its own flaw, but (C) IMHO shouldn't be considered correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
using the verb "is" incorrect. 2/3...IMO C

(C) has changed little - "has" is the right verb(D) has changed little from how it has been
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey amma4u,

Yes and no. There are plenty of ways "is" could've been used correctly in this sentence (for example "The state of women is not at all different from the state of women 500 years ago"), and even if you replaced all the "is" with "has", the correct answer would still be the correct answer.

-t
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5420 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
IMO C.
In C, it shows that the status has changed little. Has is correct here as the status have some ratings in the past but it is still the same.

Clues:
1. changed little is better than is little changed. Placing of the modifier adjective - little, is important here.
2. We are dealing with the status change not the way of change. So, the main culprit is HOW. If A is to be the correct choice then it should be:
is little changed from WHAT it was

I hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Kudos
This SC is how to eliminate redundancy - "how it was" is redundant + ambiguous "it"

C it is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
C, mainly because it is concise and to the point.

D, because the status has already changed. It uses the present tense, has been. That says the status "has been something" in the past and "IS STILL THE SAME". Thus, "has been" cancels out "changed".

If "has been" is replaced by "had been", then D is correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [2]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of prime minister, the status of women in Pakistan is little changed from how it was in the last century.

(C) has changed little

Kindly explain.

There is a subtle difference between "changed little" and "little changed". Both are correct but for this sentence, the former would be preferred.

Changed little: Means almost didn't change; seen as a negative aspect
Little changed: Really changed a little; seen as a positive aspect.

And we know the sentence want to say "changed little" because of the use of contrasting word "despite".

"Despite something positive, it is negative."

A, B, E- out.

D- status has been: is incorrect usage for the comparison of two things that are supposedly far apart in timeline. Also, "has changed" signifies that the change is still in effect and kind of ongoing.So the comparison should be avoided.

C: concise and conveys the intended meaning.

Ans: "C"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
C for me..

just wanted to you all to clarify something regarding the usage of despite and inspite of...

I read somewhere (cant find the source) which said that there is a subtle difference between the usage of the two words..

Despite should follow something negative and then the contrasting positive..For ex. Despite the odds, India still managed to win the cup.

Inspite of should follow something positive and then the contrasting negative..For ex. Inspite of having the best line up, S.A. did not win the cup.

It did sound a bit vague and new to me..Please clarify..

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Please Clarify between answer choice C and D
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dungavath wrote:

Hello, Dungavath. Believe it or not, I think the cause of confusion here stems from the innocent-looking modifier little. Remove it from consideration, since it is common to all answer choices, and the extraneous verbiage of every answer choice besides the correct one stands out:

Quote:

(C) has changed little

Consider the barebones sentence:

The status...

(A) is changed from how it was
(B) is a change from how it was
(C) has changed
(D) has changed from how it has been
(E) is changed from the way it was

What do any of these prepositional phrases with pronouns add in the way of clarity that answer choice (C) is lacking? The sentence is commenting on the degree of change of something, and change implies a difference from an earlier point of reference—one that happens to be supplied right after the underlined portion. Rather than get bogged down in pursuing a could-this-work line of reasoning, why not approach the matter from the other end, asking whether a simple and concise iteration of the sentence gets the job done?

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dungavath wrote:

Hello Dungavath,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, Option D is inferior to Option C because the phrase "from how it has been" can be deleted without a loss of clarity.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts