Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

Re: SC-Status of women [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 17:15
C for me..

just wanted to you all to clarify something regarding the usage of despite and inspite of...

I read somewhere (cant find the source) which said that there is a subtle difference between the usage of the two words..

Despite should follow something negative and then the contrasting positive..For ex. Despite the odds, India still managed to win the cup.

Inspite of should follow something positive and then the contrasting negative..For ex. Inspite of having the best line up, S.A. did not win the cup.

It did sound a bit vague and new to me..Please clarify..

Thanks

Fight till you succeed like a gladiator..or doom your life which can be invincible

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 22

Reviews Badge
Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 03:44
After split , C& D

C -is concise and clear
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 05:35
Straight C. Correct usage of Present perfect, which streamlines an action from the past into the present. Also, neat and concise.

Cheers

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 05:41
Like everyone I went for D as well.

But in retrospect, I think the subject "THE STATUS" can't take the conjugation has been. You can say the situation has been bad, but I have never read a sentence which went: "The status has been bad." (But this is just my grammatical gut feel talking)

The second reason would be concision like most people said. But I don't like the word concision because it gets abused BADLY in the SC forum. So, why is this concision preferred? Well my personal reason would be that between C and D the change is little. So, how does it matter whether you refer to the old status or not. If you are going to say that the status changed a HUGE deal (positively or negatively) since last year then it would make sense to highlight that, else why bother. So ,go with C.

By the way it has a very clear and the referent is The status.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Status of women [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 20:01
suyash wrote:
I dont understand what is wrong with the original sentence,And how is C correct choice.
The elections happened recently,hence the change(the status of women) now, are rightly compared with those that have happened in the last century in A.

Suppose the election happened in 2000(21st century) and when the statement was written was of say 2001 or 2002.
Hence the changes that have taken in women's status' are compared to the changes in the last century(till 1999).
A correctly states this fact, thereby maintaining the meaning of the sentence.
C on the contrary, distorts the meaning of the sentence, making one beleive that the elections that happened in this century has brought little impact on women's status in the last century, which is illogical.
If somebody can explain the flaw in my understanding, it would be really helpful.

When we say "little has changed," the present perfect tense implies that the action started sometime in the past and it still continues on to this day. So we don't need to state the contrast because the situation has been the same since the last century to today. That's the reason why we're using present perfect. That's also the reason with D is incorrect. We can't have two things happening simultaneously.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 07:39
C is right because you don't refer to status of women as 'how' but instead as 'what'. Only option which is free from this error is C.

Interestingly, Original statement was also correct except for this reason. Others claiming that original statement was not correct because it did not use present perfect tense have forgotten that there is no need for that.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 08:57
I find it a bit vague that C is the answer.

The sentence says a woman has been elected as PM recently with no effect on the situation that has prevailed in the last 100 years. Now when you opt for C, doesn't it leave out that comparison? I mean a woman PM has not been around for 100 years. That is evident from the part that says recently. And I guess it would not be foolish to assume this.

Any thoughts anyone?

petrifiedbutstanding

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 536 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 09:53
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
I find it a bit vague that C is the answer.

The sentence says a woman has been elected as PM recently with no effect on the situation that has prevailed in the last 100 years. Now when you opt for C, doesn't it leave out that comparison? I mean a woman PM has not been around for 100 years. That is evident from the part that says recently. And I guess it would not be foolish to assume this.

Any thoughts anyone?

hi,

Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of prime minister, the status of women in Pakistan is little changed from how it was in the last century.

(A) is little changed from how it was
(B) is a little change from how it was
(C) has changed little
(D) has changed little from how it has been
(E) is little changed from the way it was

according to question meaning is as follows:

A woman got elected to office of PM....NOW based on this author is saying although a woman is elected recently but this doesn't proves that women's status is improved a lot DURING the last century.
now since the intended meaning is to state the status during the last century,,....that is why HAS is must.....for showing the effect of past coming in to present.

kudos if it helped

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 16:47
Answer is 'C' in my opinion.

To break it down,
is.. changed - is incorrect tense. Also the sentence refers to something that has happened in the past ' the status of woman' , should entail 'has' rather than 'is'. Hence A, B and E can be removed.

D is unnecessarily long.

Leaving 'C' as the answer.

B -
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 21:44
shaileshmishra wrote:
hi,

Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of prime minister, the status of women in Pakistan is little changed from how it was in the last century.

(C) has changed little

according to question meaning is as follows:

A woman got elected to office of PM....NOW based on this author is saying although a woman is elected recently but this doesn't proves that women's status is improved a lot DURING the last century.
now since the intended meaning is to state the status during the last century,,....that is why HAS is must.....for showing the effect of past coming in to present.

kudos if it helped

You're right about that. But my question was more on lines of whether we need the statement "from how it has been". I believe we do.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 20:48
HI,,

this is a simple case of redundancy. As "changed" always refer to a variation from previous condition, it is redundant to include "from how it was" in the sentence.

thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 00:53
(A) is little changed from how it was ---- is and was makes it wordy.
(B) is a little change from how it was ---- situation cann't be 'is a change'
(C) has changed little ----- PERFECT
(D) has changed little from how it has been ----- 'has changed' & 'has been' doesn't comply...ex: it has changed from what it was...
(E) is little changed from the way it was --- too wordy
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 01:33
We are stating option C as the correct answer only by PoE. However, if you put it in the sentence it removes the inherent comparison altogether.

Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of prime minister, the status of women in Pakistan has changed little in the last century.

It reflects that all changes happened within the last century.

Is the mere fact that option C doesn't contain the ambiguous "it" reason enough?

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 121

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 12:20
Lets see this example given on page 107, MGMAT SC, CHAPTER 7.

Veronica has traveled all over the world in 2007. << is it correct ??

Above sentence is not correct, because in 2007 indicates something finished in the past and present perfect does not go well with such time bound construction.

Lets see option C now:

the status of women in Pakistan has changed little in the last century.
In the last century indicates time range of past, therefore use of present perfect is not OK. Use simple past.

D is also not correct because has been in the last century presenting same error as explained above. If it had been written as had been in the last century then it would have been fine.

Conclusion:: Not a good question.

(C) has changed little

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: Despite the recent election of a woman to the office of   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2014, 12:20