Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [28]
Given Kudos: 18
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [2]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [3]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.25
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here is my take on this question. Feedback as always appreciated.

Para 1: Author starts off by pointing out that the LCD and LED displays are different and goes on to detail the method of working of the LED displays.
Para 2: Author states that the LCD is more popular and then goes on to explain the working of the LCD (very dense in detail)
Para 3: Author continues to give us advantages of the LCD tech and concludes that it is the best display (Almost swears by how good LCD is).

Main Point would something on the lines of: Principles behind 2 distinct displays explained and reasons as to why LCD is superior.

1. Which of the following can be inferred about uncoiled liquid crystals in an LCD pixel?

A.Electric currents cause them to release photons - No mention of photos released in LCD

B. They are in a relaxed state, in comparison to their high-energy coiled state - States the opposite. The passage states - "Within a pixel, liquid crystals in their relaxed, coiled state rotate the polarization of ambient light enough to make surrounding filters transparent" The answer choice incorrectly states that uncoiled state = relaxed.

C. They are found in one of two wave orientations, horizontal or vertical. - The orientation refers to the guitar string used as an example to explain a theory.

D. They fail to rotate the polarization of surrounding photons enough to allow them to pass through nearby filters. - Substantiated by "applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque"

E. They cause the pixel to become transparent. - Opposite again

2. The process through which an LCD monitor displays different colors is most closely analogous to

A. the partial blocking of an hourglass so that a limited stream of grains of sand fall into the lower portion - Passage says that the crystals completely block certain spectra of light.
B. the use of rigid sizing boxes at an airport security checkpoint in order to allow the passage of certain sizes of luggage while excluding other sizes of luggage - Correct. The crystals block everything else except the one that needs to be displayed.

C. the soundproofing of a recording studio so that any performances within are muted to those outside - Some spectra do go through at least the ones we see on display!! so no complete "muting" if you'd like.

D. the cutting out of characters from a sheet of paper so that a lamp in front of the paper casts shadows in the shapes of the characters - Found it hard to eliminate this one. My rationale is that this choice doesnt depict the preferential selection as in the case of the crystal.

E. The emission of warmer air by an air vent on the outside of a building while an air conditioning system cools the interior of the building - Not really representative of the preferential selection as in the case of the LCD.

3.According to the passage, the application of an electrical signal or current to both an LED and an LCD pixel results in which of the following?

Passage states - LED glows when electricity is passed through (Passage excerpt : "When electric current flows through the p-n junction between layers, an n-type electron falling into a p-type hole releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light. ")

LCD on the other hand blocks unwanted spectra of light except what is displayed (Passage excerpt: "applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque. LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains)

A. Both the LED and the LCD pixel become bright.
B. The LED becomes dark, but the LCD pixel transmits light
C. The LED becomes bright, but the LCD pixel ceases to transmit light.
D. The LED becomes dark, but the liquid crystals in the pixel uncoil.
E. The LED becomes bright, but the liquid crystals in the pixel coil up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct [#permalink]
Hello,

For second question ? Why not option B..
Just link 2 statements,
The dominant technology... in second paragraph
The amount of power is less..in 3rd para
Link these two it gives more reason for commercial development of LCDs

Experts please advise.

Thank you,
Srividhya
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [1]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
Send PM
One extra question (750-800, for sure) :!: OA provided

Which of the following can be inferred about uncoiled liquid crystals in an LCD pixel?

A. Electric currents cause them to release photons.
B. They are in a relaxed state, in comparison to their high-energy coiled state.
C. They are found in one of two wave orientations, horizontal or vertical.
D. They fail to rotate the polarization of surrounding photons enough to allow them to pass through nearby filters.
E. They cause the pixel to become transparent.

In this passage, the author is primarily concerned with

A. delineating the commonalities between two seemingly divergent phenomena
B. contrasting the uses of electrical power for two contrary purposes
C. explicating the scientific underpinnings of two dissimilar technologies
D. describing the economic significance of two processes
E. analyzing the relationship between two methods of displaying information

Originally posted by felippemed on 06 Dec 2016, 13:53.
Last edited by felippemed on 06 Dec 2016, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
Send PM
If you don't assimilate photon = light, you get all the questions wrong.

The most curious thing is that a photon is not "light" according to the dictionary.com

a quantum of electromagnetic radiation, regarded as a particle with zero rest mass and charge, unit spin, and energy equal to the product of the frequency of the radiation and the Planck constant

I think that Manhattan and GMATClub should retrieve this passage from their databases
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
gsrividhya wrote:
Hello,

Just link 2 statements,

Experts please advise.

Thank you,
Srividhya

It is true that low power consumption in LCD led to the commercial development. However, I feel that the word plasma is specifically mentioned to give an example by using word such as..
Hence A will be most appropriate.

Sent from my vivo V3Max using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
gsrividhya wrote:
Hello,

Just link 2 statements,

Experts please advise.

Thank you,
Srividhya

The passage as a whole only talks about how LED s and LCD s work. Nowhere you can see the author emphasizing its commercial success. He merely mentions in the second paragraph that LCDs are dominant. Keeping the above points in mind we can safely conclude that option 2 is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Would anyone please explain question 4 ?
Really got a tough time to choose between D and E ...
I could not find in passage 'Widely adopted standard'
But got 'dominant technology' coincides with the option 'most advanced and latest technology '.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 187
Send PM
Kudos
soumya170293 wrote:
Would anyone please explain question 4 ?
Really got a tough time to choose between D and E ...
I could not find in passage 'Widely adopted standard'
But got 'dominant technology' coincides with the option 'most advanced and latest technology '.

D can find out from"The dominant technology currently used in most consumer product displays is the active matrix liquid crystal diode display (LCD)."(the second part 's first sentence)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
The author most likely mentions “plasma” in the third paragraph in order to

provide an example of a technology that operates differently than LCDs

reinforce the importance of the commercial development of LCDs

describe the contrasting workings of another technology

indicate the greater number of applications for LCDs

explain the features of a competing type of display
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
P1 - LCD n LED defined.
P2 - how LCD works, colours, uses.
p3 - lcd is better then plasma. why how?

1. According to the passage, the application of an electrical signal or current to both an LED and an LCD pixel results in which of the following?
Alternatively, applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque
releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light.

C. The LED becomes bright, but the LCD pixel ceases to transmit light. - no
------------------------------------

2. The author most likely mentions “ plasma ” in the third paragraph in order to

The amount of power required to untwist the crystals to display images is much lower than that required for analogous processes using other technologies, such as plasma.

A. provide an example of a technology that operates differently than LCDs -

-----------------------------------------------
3. The process through which an LCD monitor displays different colors is most closely analogous to

LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains. The variation of the intensity of light permitted to pass through the matrix of liquid crystals enables LCD displays to present images full of gradations of different colors.

PT - Similarity is that something can pass while other can be blocked.
B. the use of rigid sizing boxes at an airport security checkpoint in order to allow the passage of certain sizes of luggage while excluding other sizes of luggage -

------------------------------------------------

4. Which of the following can be inferred about uncoiled liquid crystals in an LCD pixel?
P2
Within a pixel, liquid crystals in their relaxed, coiled state rotate the polarization of ambient light enough to make surrounding filters transparent.

The dominant technology currently used in most consumer product displays is the active matrix liquid crystal diode display (LCD).

A. Electric currents cause them to release photons. --- that is in LCD.
B. They are in a relaxed state, in comparison to their high-energy coiled state. ---- comparision part is not correct.
C. They are found in one of two wave orientations, horizontal or vertical. --- no >>>>>>>>>so a light wave can be polarized horizontally or vertically.
D. They fail to rotate the polarization of surrounding photons enough to allow them to pass through nearby filters. --- others can be elliminated easily .
E. They cause the pixel to become transparent. - no >>>> make surrounding filters transparent
--------------------------------------------------

5.In this passage, the author is primarily concerned with

A. delineating the commonalities between two seemingly divergent phenomena
B. contrasting the uses of electrical power for two contrary purposes
C. explicating the scientific underpinnings of two dissimilar technologies - clearly best of the lot.
D. describing the economic significance of two processes
E. analyzing the relationship between two methods of displaying information
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM