Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite what was hoped, the introduction of a sixty-five

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 14

Despite what was hoped, the introduction of a sixty-five [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 20:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (02:06) correct 53% (01:08) wrong based on 421 sessions
Despite what was hoped, the introduction of a sixty-five mile per hour speed limit is reducing neither congestion on rural highways, or it is not contributing to save gas for trucking companies and less pollution from the decreased amount of time trucks spend on the road.

A) reducing neither congestion on rural highways, or it is not contributing to save gas for trucking companies and less pollution

B) reducing neither the congestion on rural highways nor is it contributing to lower gas costs for trucking companies, or to less polluting

C) not reducing the congestion on rural highways nor is it contributing to save gas for trucking companies, and it is not lessening the pollution

D) not reducing the congestion on rural highways, it is not contributing to savings on gas for trucking companies, it is less pollution

E) not reducing congestion on rural highways, nor is it contributing to lower gas costs for truck companies or less pollution

The question is, whats the guiding rule in such constructions and why the answer is what it is.

:| :?: :roll:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

---Winners do it differently---

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 110 [2] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the Kind of SC that cause congestion in my brain [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 21:09
This post received
KUDOS
jn.mohit wrote:
@sudhir18n can you please eloborate more on 'C' and how 'E' is much better than 'C'

C) not reducing the congestion on rural highways nor is it contributing to save gas for trucking companies, and it is not lessening the pollution..........uses the wrong idiom and does not follow the rule of parallelism

Observe both C and E.

C: not reducing the congestion on rural highways nor is it contributing to save gas for trucking companies, and it is not lessening the pollution

E:not reducing congestion on rural highways, nor is it contributing to lower gas costs for truck companies or less pollution

Not reducting THE congestion vs not reducing congestion
subtle difference..

Not reducting THE congestion : This means reducing X to do Y
is it contributing to save gas : this should be in the form of : is it contributing the saving of gas .. to be parallel

E makes those changes- Reducing congestion and contributing to lower gas costs...

hope this helps.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: One of the Kind of SC that cause congestion in my brain [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 20:55
@sudhir18n can you please eloborate more on 'C' and how 'E' is much better than 'C'

C) not reducing the congestion on rural highways nor is it contributing to save gas for trucking companies, and it is not lessening the pollution..........uses the wrong idiom and does not follow the rule of parallelism
Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: One of the Kind of SC that cause congestion in my brain [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 22:42
I too agree with E...thanks sudhir18n

Kaustubh

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

Re: One of the Kind of SC that cause congestion in my brain [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 04:13
[quote="sudhir18n"][quote="jn.mohit"]

Not reducing THE congestion vs not reducing congestion
subtle difference..

Not reducing THE congestion : This means reducing X to do Y What do you mean by this?

I haven't really got what you explained for the usage of "THE".. A lil more explanation please...

---Winners do it differently---

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 33

Re: One of the Kind of SC that cause congestion in my brain [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 12:53
Good question and very good explanation by Sudhir!

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the Kind of SC that cause congestion in my brain [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 16:15
+1 E

I eliminated choice C because "save gas" is not the real meaning of the sentence.

Good question.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the Kind of SC that cause congestion in my brain [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 10:57
Quote:
Despite what was hoped, the introduction of a sixty-five mile per hour speed limit is reducing neither congestion on rural highways, or it is not contributing to save gas for trucking companies and less pollution from the decreased amount of time trucks spend on the road.

A) reducing neither congestion on rural highways, or it is not contributing to save gas for trucking companies and less pollution
B) reducing neither the congestion on rural highways nor is it contributing to lower gas costs for trucking companies, or to less polluting
C) not reducing the congestion on rural highways nor is it contributing to save gas for trucking companies, and it is not lessening the pollution
D) not reducing the congestion on rural highways, it is not contributing to savings on gas for trucking companies, it is less pollution
E) not reducing congestion on rural highways, nor is it contributing to lower gas costs for truck companies or less pollution

Answer: E
*note: not necessary that 'nor' be used with 'neither'

Quote:

RohitKalla wrote:

A) reducing neither congestion on rural highways, or it is not contributing to save gas for trucking companies and less pollution.........does not follow the correct idiomatic usage... neither X nor Y.

B) reducing neither the congestion on rural highways nor is it contributing to lower gas costs for trucking companies, or to less polluting............follow the correct idiomatic usage neither X nor Y, and uses an incorrect tense 'polluting'- thus is incorrect

D) not reducing the congestion on rural highways, it is not contributing to savings on gas for trucking companies, it is less pollution............wrong on the use of tense 'it is less pollution'

E) not reducing congestion on rural highways, nor is it contributing to lower gas costs for truck companies or less pollution...........unconventional but the most clear and concise option

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the Kind of SC that cause congestion in my brain [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 23:10
RohitKalla wrote:

The question is, whats the guiding rule in such constructions and why the answer is what it is.

It's tough question.
I also chose C. But Sudhir's explanation is impressive.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 42

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the Kind of SC that cause congestion in my brain [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 05:29
Toughie, i selected C :(
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the Kind of SC that cause congestion in my brain [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 04:59
+1 for E.

Elimination of other choices is the way to go in this problem, rather than picking the correct choice.

Crick
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the Kind of SC that cause congestion in my brain [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 03:38
RohitKalla wrote:

+1 for E. E uses correlative conjunctions most idiomatically.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 15

Re: Despite what was hoped, the introduction of a sixty-five [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 22:29
RohitKalla wrote:

+1 for E.
Here is the explanation:

A) reducing neither congestion on rural highways, or it is not contributing to save gas for trucking companies and less pollution--> wrong,it is neither ... nor.

B) reducing neither the congestion on rural highways nor is it contributing to lower gas costs for trucking companies, or to less pollution--> it doesnot makes sense with the clause after the second comma.

C) not reducing the congestion on rural highways nor is it contributing to save gas for trucking companies, and it is not lessening the pollution-->The use of and makes it wrong.

D) not reducing the congestion on rural highways, it is not contributing to savings on gas for trucking companies, it is less pollution-->for the argument to be true, idiomatically neither should be accompanied by nor.hence this one is wrong.

E) not reducing congestion on rural highways, nor is it contributing to lower gas costs for truck companies or less pollution--> this one is correct.

Consider giving me kudos, if u like my post!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: Despite what was hoped, the introduction of a sixty-five [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 23:52
"E) not reducing congestion on rural highways, nor is it contributing to lower gas costs for truck companies or less pollution--> this one is correct. "

But what you suggest is: neither A nor B or C.

Shouldn't it be: neither A nor B nor C??
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Despite what was hoped, the introduction of a sixty-five [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 11:36

I see that this choice violates parallelism. it should've been "nor contributing" if it is to be parallel to "not reducing"
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Despite what was hoped, the introduction of a sixty-five [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 23:35
Expert's post

E) not reducing congestion on rural highways, nor is it contributing to {lower gas costs for truck companies or less pollution}

In C, the use of "and" changes the meaning.
But regardless of this error, one thing that I noticed is that in E, we are talking about "gas costs", whereas in the original choie we are talking about its "amount".
Hasn't the answer choice E deviated from the sense?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 363 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Despite what was hoped, the introduction of a sixty-five [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 23:55
Marcab wrote:

E) not reducing congestion on rural highways, nor is it contributing to {lower gas costs for truck companies or less pollution}

In C, the use of "and" changes the meaning.
But regardless of this error, one thing that I noticed is that in E, we are talking about "gas costs", whereas in the original choie we are talking about its "amount".
Hasn't the answer choice E deviated from the sense?

Not really.
The meaning of the sentence is : The hope was to get following benefits by imposing speed limit : 1. reduced congestion 2. lowered gas consumption 3. reduced pollution. But none of these has happened.
Actually apart from meaning, only E retains the grammatical structure. Notice C has three elements connected with not, nor, and. While in E there are 2 elements connected with not-nor and second elements itself has 2 elements connected with or. Perfectly done.

Therefore Ans E it is.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Despite what was hoped, the introduction of a sixty-five [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 00:12
Expert's post
I don't have any problem with the grammatical construction of E. The only think that is bothering me here is the use of "gas costs". We were originally concerned with the saving of gas.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 363 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Despite what was hoped, the introduction of a sixty-five [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 00:19
Marcab wrote:
I don't have any problem with the grammatical construction of E. The only think that is bothering me here is the use of "gas costs". We were originally concerned with the saving of gas.

Logically both mean same things isnt it? If you are saving gas your are saving gas cost. Not everyone is environmentalist but still wants a car with better mileage? ;-)

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 186

Re: Despite what was hoped, the introduction of a sixty-five [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 11:04
Please elaborate on how "E" is the solution for the above problem???I am unable to understand !!
Re: Despite what was hoped, the introduction of a sixty-five   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2013, 11:04