Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Destroyed by GMAT today 680 (Q49, V33)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT Date: 06-27-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Destroyed by GMAT today 680 (Q49, V33) [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 22:27
Took the GMAT today and am very disappointed with my performance ( also Preparation).

Ethnic Background: Indian male .
Education: B.Tech, MS in computer Engg,
Cert: PMP.
Work Exp: 8 Years IT consulting experience - Team lead
Why GMAT: Want to break into Marketing and finance.
Program: Full time or one-year Accelerated MBA.

To start with, I did well on my last 4 practice tests- scored between (MGMAT-5)700, (GMAT Prep1) 710, (GMAT prep2)720 and 740( older version of GMAT prep).

Strong areas: Quant - got between 45 and 50 in all the practice tests.
CR: Always got 90% of the questions right. For all theses questions, I am 100% confident that I circled in on the correct choice and I did get them right. I was never able to figure out 10% of the CR questions and I always got the answers wrong for these questions.

Weak areas.
SC: 75 % correct on the practice tests and OG, but was never confident about the answer. I would just go by gut on the SC questions
RC: Never focused on this section. Practiced RC only in the last one week. got 20-30% of the OG questions wrong.

I was sure that I would score 50 on quant and between 38 and 40 in verbal

Exam Day: didn't focus much on the essays. Just finished them based on the templete I went through before the exam day.
Quant - No issue with Quant. I was expecting to see 50 on this.
Verbal - Questions were a more difficult than the both OG 12 and OG verbal review. Saw more SC's with complete sentence underlined. After first 15 questions I realized that I am not doing good on verbal. Told myself that there are 26 more left and tried to focus. At Q35 I realized that I messed up verbal. Got some modifier SC's and easy CR's . Before seeing the result, I wanted to cancel my score because I almost new that I would get 680(during my initial practice MGMAT tests, with similar performance I scored 680 twice) . But I changed my mind and decided to check the score. I got 680.

Materials used: Bought MGAMT all books, but used only 2 quant books and SC. regarding MGMAT SC, I din't like it much. It was very boring and un organized. Liked the SC grail but realized that it is not enough for GMAT.

CR. Power score bible. read it but never followed the methods. I am not comfortable applying rules and selecting answers for CR questions, so I decided to do CR's my way and I did well.

RC: OG 12

Advise: Never do OG before taking GMAT prep. Your scores will be inflated by at least 30 points.
regarding quant questions - RTFQ: I got some questions wrong because I didn't read the question properly.

Other:
Best Quant Material: GmatClub Quant tutorial. Try to understand and derive the short cuts listed in the book.

I decided to take the GMAT again as need to score at least 740 to make up for my age(32) and added baggage( boring IT work experience)

Target Q50 , V40

Please let me know if you can recommend any course to improve Verbal ( SC).

The marketing pitch for e-GMAT looks pretty good. But not sure if the course is as good as it is advertised. Can someone please post their experience with e-gmat.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 580 [0], given: 114

Re: Destroyed by GMAT today 680 (Q49, V33) [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 22:36
Sounds like you did everything correct in studying. Check out my post here: 10-tips-to-improve-your-score-app-with-no-extra-studying-124393.html to make sure you did all of these tips correctly. Test day stamina can really effect you in the verbal section. If this was not the case, I would recommend that you spend some serious time on verbal. A Q49 coupled with a high verbal score could take your score into the top levels! Do you think that your verbal was the key factor in your low score? or stamina and a failure to put 100% into that last section. A Q49 is great, and with a strong verbal you can kill this test! Let me know and we can help you with a strategy to improve

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT Date: 06-27-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Destroyed by GMAT today 680 (Q49, V33) [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 23:32
@GMATLA, thanks for posting back.
The issue is not with my test day stamina or stress. I have experience taking 6 hour exams (CFA) .
The issue is with my verbal skills. I was never confident with SC and RC questions.

I need some suggestions on prep courses that focus on SC. Want to nail down SC's before I schedule my next test appointment.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 580 [0], given: 114

Re: Destroyed by GMAT today 680 (Q49, V33) [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 09:47
I see, I see, well here is a list of some of the best GMAT books, focus on the verbal: best-verbal-gmat-books-120308.html

Here is a strict verbal study guide, probably one of the best on the planet: study-plan-for-verbal-gmat-98342.html

One thing I can say is just don't give up. On my first practice test I got a 37% verbal b/c I really didn't have the right strategies and skills necessary, on test day I was around 90%, so you never know how far you can come. English is my first language so obviously that helps, but if you are able to improve you verbal you'll drive you score well over 700! Good luck, and keep working hard. It will all pay off in the end.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Destroyed by GMAT today 680 (Q49, V33)   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2011, 09:47