Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Destroyed by the Gmat Twice.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Destroyed by the Gmat Twice. [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 07:35
So I have taken the GMAT twice and got the same score both times. I am pretty embarrassed, but I am still motivated to beat this test. Both times I scored a 390 and my Quant / Verbal scores basically flip flopped (26 / 19). During my first attempt I did do something rather stupid which was to have my wedding prior to the test, needless to say this did not really help improve my score and was distracting in my last month of studying. I was actually pretty serious and consistent about my study plan the first 2 months of studying roughly 1.5 - 2 hours perday.

Test 1 Study Plan (1 month math , 1 month verbal, last month guide questions and tests) 17Q 26V
Kaplan Premiere / Math Foundations
Official Guide 12
Kaplan CAT scores 460-480
GMAT Prep 390 (ironically)

Test 2 Study Plan ( Mostly focused on math with some verbal roughly under 3 months) 26Q 19V
Princeton Review GMAT MATH Workbook
Grockit Online (helped focus on what my weaknesses were and get my timing down)
Reading Online Strats / using GMAT Club Flashcards
Manhattan / Kaplan CAT 460-480 (focused on wrong answers after)
GMAT Prep 430

I am a bit down because the second time around I felt very confident going into the test, but I just didnt perform as well as expected. I was upset with my verbal performance because I felt like the further I got into the test my focus seemed to just evaporate. Reading Comp really killed my timing, and at some points I felt like I was answering questions without being certain of what I was answering. I was happy that my math score improved so much but rather down since my scores just werent all that great. It is pretty obvious my study plan was bad both times, but I want to beat this test. The schools I am looking at my score doesnt need to be crazy high, it needs to be in the 480-550 range to get in.

Not sure where to start or what to do at this point... I have been reading the forums for what I should do , but it is just spread out all over the place. I was maybe considering the 8 book Manhattan series to help me really focus in on where my weaknesses are.. but im just a little down and need some guidance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: Destroyed by the Gmat Twice. [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 08:30
This post received
KUDOS
The drop in your verbal score is the result of paying little attention to it in your preparation. Now, you should focus on the basic first. In this stage:
-Verbal:
+SC: MGMAT SC will provide you details about how GMAT SC works. Read theory, do the problems at the end of each chapter (in OG). If you get wrong, return to review the theory. Take notes of your mistakes.
+CR: Solve problems in OG. If you can, buy CR Bilbe. Its structure is very clear , straight to the point and you can find most types of CR questions there.
+RC: read fiction or newspaper daily. Try to find structure, tone of the reading passages.

-Quant: Use MGMAT books to review basic theory. solve all problems in OG; MGMAT CAT's quant is difficult than that of the real test so that you should not do it now.

They are first steps. Hope it helps.

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Intern
Intern

Re: Destroyed by the Gmat Twice. [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 13:47
hellscream wrote:
The drop in your verbal score is the result of paying little attention to it in your preparation. Now, you should focus on the basic first. In this stage:
-Verbal:
+SC: MGMAT SC will provide you details about how GMAT SC works. Read theory, do the problems at the end of each chapter (in OG). If you get wrong, return to review the theory. Take notes of your mistakes.
+CR: Solve problems in OG. If you can, buy CR Bilbe. Its structure is very clear , straight to the point and you can find most types of CR questions there.
+RC: read fiction or newspaper daily. Try to find structure, tone of the reading passages.

-Quant: Use MGMAT books to review basic theory. solve all problems in OG; MGMAT CAT's quant is difficult than that of the real test so that you should not do it now.

If I buy the 8 book set for MGMAT, would that be sufficient enough to study CR and RC (paired with OG) or do you think the CR Bible needs to supplement that?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Destroyed by the Gmat Twice. [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 14:30
bobacdigital wrote:
hellscream wrote:
-Verbal:

If I buy the 8 book set for MGMAT, would that be sufficient enough to study CR and RC (paired with OG) or do you think the CR Bible needs to supplement that?

The CR Bible is really, really good in my opinion. I would definitely buy it no matter which other books you have bought.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.47
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Destroyed by the Gmat Twice. [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 14:38
I would say that you should try to do Manhattan's LiveOnline class.. The class is 9 weeks long and if you have the time and resources to do it, I think you will see a significant improvement in your score.

There is lots of homework and tests that you will have to do as part of the class but that may be a good thing for you as well.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: Destroyed by the Gmat Twice. [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 15:48
bobacdigital wrote:
hellscream wrote:
-Verbal:

I think you should buy CR Bible.... even if you possess MGMAT 8

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Intern
Intern

Re: Destroyed by the Gmat Twice. [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 10:16
AbeinOhio wrote:
I would say that you should try to do Manhattan's LiveOnline class.. The class is 9 weeks long and if you have the time and resources to do it, I think you will see a significant improvement in your score.

There is lots of homework and tests that you will have to do as part of the class but that may be a good thing for you as well.

Everything I have heard about prep courses is that they arent worth the money, although the reviews of the MGMAT classes seem to be very good... Do you have any other info on the experience?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Destroyed by the Gmat Twice. [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 00:52
even I have taken it twice.
Once without studying scored 500 and after studying properly got 480.

What and how I dont understand. As though I have no control over it.
What can I do. I thought upto a 600 was achievable for now
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Strategy
GPA: 3.88

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Destroyed by the Gmat Twice. [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 06:13
[quote="harsha88"]even I have taken it twice.
Once without studying scored 500 and after studying properly got 480.

Sometimes when you don't think about the technicalities of questions and simplify what you're focusing on, you get the best results that way. It seems that the first time you took the test, you probably weren't focusing on the small things you learned about during your review. Once you feel like you've got down what you have been studying, go into the test and put yourself (mentally) in the same study setting. This will calm you and allow for your exam to be less stressful. Another tip is when you have done well on one part of the exam, continue to review this part while you are studying to take it another time. There is no harm in this, it may actually help you score.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Destroyed by the Gmat Twice. [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 06:57
Get a tutor. WOrk on the OG's and know the basics and work your way up.
Re: Destroyed by the Gmat Twice.   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2012, 06:57