Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Devastated.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-17-2012
GPA: 3.85
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Devastated. [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 11:59
MGMAT 8/26/12 Q25 V35 510
MGMAT 10/20/12 Q43 V34 640
MGMAT 11/13/12 Q41 V37 650 IR3-4
MGMAT 11/27/12 Q45 V37 680 IR4-5
GMATPREP 12/3/12 Q48 V44 740 IR4
GMATPREP 12/11/12 Q48 V41 720 IR 6

REAL------->> Today, 12/17/12 Q42 V38 650. AWA prob good, IR prob piss poor
Extremely upset, as I was expecting just north of 700... 680 at the least... Seriously, the proctor had to come over to see if I was okay.

Anyone advice? Even bother applying to R2? try to retake & R3? Graduating College Sr in May.... So I really needed a 2+2 program or similar before I expire.
Good Gpa, 1 yr full time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Devastated. [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 12:00
Oh, and since I thought I was going to do good on this one, I don't know if I could do better on a retake.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: Devastated. [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 20:33
Sorry to hear the bad news, McFly. For starters, you can definitely do better with a retake--it's just a question of how much effort you're willing to throw into it. You can always improve. Don't let one crappy day at the test center get you down.

And for what it's worth, a 650 isn't bad. Your verbal was solid, if not quite as high as your GMATPrep scores, and the quant wasn't a complete disaster, either. Think of it this way: if you made a very small handful of unnecessary errors at some bad moments early in each section, you can easily lose a few points. If you'd scored three points higher on each section, you'd feel very differently. My hunch is that you can gain those three points--or perhaps more--by continuing to hone your skills and by becoming more consistent. Again, one crappy day doesn't prove that you're incapable of doing better.

The dropoff from your GMATPrep tests is unpleasant, but not all that unusual. Is it possible that you had seen some of the GMATPrep questions before, either because you'd taken the tests before, or because you've seen some of those questions in another resource? Generally speaking, I trust GMATPrep results far more than MGMAT results, but there's a pretty decent discrepancy between the scores, and it's interesting that your actual test results looked like your MGMAT tests. Maybe the GMATPrep scores were biased?

The other possibility is that you just suffered from a little bit of the jitters on test day, even if you weren't completely conscious of it. If you make a few errors that you don't normally make, it can really hurt your score. This sort of thing is even more common if it's your first time taking the real test.

I can't blame you for feeling disappointed, but you're still not that far from a 700... and there's plenty of reason to think that you'll be able to improve for your next battle with the beast.

Good luck with everything!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern

Re: Devastated. [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 20:49
Thank you GmatNinja, your reply is very much appreciated. I made sure not to surf GMATPREP questions and only took the GMATPREP tests once to try to use them as accurately as possible. I guess I got a false sense of security by taking those tests. The only other thing I can think of is that I'm on a 9 day work week (one week down). And had to adjust my sleep 2 weeks earlier about a 4 hour shift. & I'm really not sure I can do any better, or how I could get my desired score. My main reason I'm upset is because I really wanted to try Round 2 2+2 program and with a 650 I'm pretty much stuck at the gate. (nontraditional major) so I don't think I have a great chance at a normal program. Thanks again for taking the time to reply, if even just to cheer me up a bit!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: Devastated. [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 21:03
I'm glad that I'm able to cheer you up a little bit! You know, it sounds like there are some really good reasons why you underperformed, and that's probably a good thing. (What the eff is a 9-day workweek, anyway?!? That sounds unpleasant.) You're a first-time GMAT test-taker with sleep disruptions and a crazy work schedule. Honestly, you SHOULD be underperforming on your exam under those circumstances! Get some sleep, tell work to cut you some slack, and keep studying--things will eventually turn around for you.

You might want to check to see if your favorite programs will accept an updated score after the deadline. I can't speak for the 2+2 programs, but a lot of adcoms will accept a score update a few weeks after your application is in. It's not a fun way to go through the process, but it might give you an extra glimmer of hope.

Keep us posted, McFly!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: Devastated.   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2012, 21:03